Computer Newbies

Question

Wireless dfficulties caused by i-pad and me

by evennewerbie / October 9, 2012 11:05 AM PDT

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">I should never have believed the guy in the shop who said it was easy to set up TP-LINK 150mbps Wireless N Nano router Model No. TL-WR702N (to give it its full name) as a repeater so that I could access the web with my I-pad from the West wing of my mansion through 20 m and three walls to my computer.

It comes with some short and to me ambiguous instructions in a bad translation from some oriental language. (BTW being in Italy I already have to contend with four languages, English, Italian, English computerese and Italian computerese and believe me fluency in the first two does not guarantee ease of translation between the second two.) Also a formidable nearly 200 pages of elaboration on a disk. So after some time-consuming misunderstandings I have changed my IP somewhere. They tell you to. But nothing I did changed the reach to the i-pad, it still only networked near the computer.

Computer was working normally yesterday when I did that. But switching on today the computer could not contact internet. The computer however can communicate wirelessly with my printers. Strangely, not initially, but afterwards for a bit the I-pad was definitely able to contact the web - e.g. I downloaded today's newspapers and posted on a forum using it. But after a bit that no longer worked either and I get signals like 'no network coverage'.

Now if I go into I-pad Setting , Wi-fi , Chose a Network, shows name of my domestic network, and TP-Link -number. Going to mine it shows an IP address and Subnet mask, all else blank. TP-link showed no info before, now what it does is ask me for a password. If I go the computer Network Connections one of the three icons that used to be there is now missing and the wireless connection Netgear WG111T icon Properties shows an IP and subnet mask different from the above two and also a 'Predefined Gateway' (it's called something else in English) number.

Is all I have to do is make the numbers in the two devices the same? which way roynd then? Or what? I am frightened of making it worse and losing the limited functionality like printing from the computer I need in the rest of this week before I have to leave for ten days. The wireless system was installed by a technician, I have no hope of understanding it (I do have a Wireless Networks for Dummies book but it is above my head).

One of the bugbears I've found is passwords. Instructions talk of passwords and they are sometimes asked. To me that could mean any of five - the password of the computer which maybe I remember, not sure, I wish it didn't have one, for all I know it is deactivated, the password of the wireless network, the pw that came with the TP-link device, the pw of i-tunes to which the i-pad is mystically joined, or a password I am supposed to invent myself. Anyway none of these ever work.

Is a quick way out of this in a short time obvious to anyone? I have got Windows XP to the best of my knowledge. I am writing and sending this from a netbook, I could not send it from the main computer for the reasons explained.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless dfficulties caused by i-pad and me
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless dfficulties caused by i-pad and me
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
So it's clear to me this product is not for you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2012 1:40 AM PDT

I don't own a TP Link (partially because of posts like this.) And since there is no support, what stopped you from taking it back and declaring it a pile of cement?
Bob

Collapse -
OK - but meantime?
by evennewerbie / October 10, 2012 2:50 AM PDT

Might go back if this goes on. Right now I am more troubled by not being able to get online from my main computer.

Is there anything I can do about that fast, such as my guesses in last post? So i don't have the new facility but at least have what I had before. That's my most pressing question.

The I-pad network coverage which I mentioned went missing yesterday has been present instead all today. I am sending this from it. I could print from it, then I couldn't, then I could. I had guessed nw coverage went missing yesterday because my computer was on and there was a conflict, but no, it now worked with counter also on. :huh:

Then I don't suppose you have I-pad connection from only one room which one can admittedly live with so what DO you do?

Collapse -
Let's be clear the discussion is about this bad repeater.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2012 2:57 AM PDT
In reply to: OK - but meantime?

If you introduce a new (and apparently bad) device, you know to go back to what worked.

-> Let me share that I use common routers as WAPs (wireless access points) and never install or support a repeater as those rarely are accepted by my clients. Not only are repeaters usually flakey the speed drop usually results in a lot of bad feelings.

You asked what I do so here it is. I use a "Router as a WAP" (see google) and if I need the coverage in another area we use either an Ethernet cable or a powerline bridge to the "Router as a WAP."

And just for clarity, I can't join folk in the tar pit of bad gear. That is, why should I go there?
Bob

Collapse -
you know to go back to what worked.
by evennewerbie / October 10, 2012 3:54 AM PDT

I wish - that is exactly what I don't know! Sad

When I get on my main computer 'impossible to contact the server' what do I do? (And without causing further damage.)

Collapse -
I can't tell what XP you have and
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2012 4:22 AM PDT

It's settings. You must remember how it is setup since I read your post 3 times and didn't find out if the connection was wired or not.

-> Box up the TP Link and if XP is wireless, find the wireless control panel in XP (remember there are no standards here so I can't be exact) then disconnect from Wifi and then connect to your Wifi again.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.