Networking & Wireless

General discussion

Wireless connects but internet does not work.

by melikbilge / June 27, 2007 11:33 AM PDT

Ok, I've spent hours researching this, but I've never seen a clear and understandable answer. My Windows XP Home OS shows my wireless as connected to my home wireless router. However, the internet (firefox) does not work. Neither does IE, AIM, Google Desktop, or MSN. My router is Westell Versa Link Model 327W. I have Verizon DSL. Anyway, we have 3 laptops in the house, one is connected by wire to the router and works perfectly. My father's laptop works also perfectly to the same network. However, my laptop shows perfect connection, though the internet does not work! I tried Start>Run>cmd>ping google.com (or other website or IP)
It states that 4 packets were sent and all of them were received. (None lost)

I also tried to open the statistics of my connection and I saw that I was continuously receiving packets, though very little at a time.

So, all other laptops in the house work on the same network, but mine resists on accessing the internet.

Help me, and sorry if someone already posted this. I just have never seen a clear answer and I want a clear answer directed to my situation.

By the way, I am almost a complete newbie at the networking, I have no idea how to do anything. So please give me step by step directions on all things if you can.

Thanks in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless connects but internet does not work.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless connects but internet does not work.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My neighbor has the 327W. I helped his.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 27, 2007 11:59 AM PDT
Collapse -
Wireless problem
by melikbilge / June 27, 2007 12:44 PM PDT

Ok, I said that I know nothing about networking. I have no idea what you're talking about. Please tell me the whole thing in step by step format and without the technical terms. I'm sorry, I know absolutely nothing about this.

I did not understand your post and the thread you gave a link to. What does this have to do with cracking?

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 27, 2007 12:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Wireless problem

But it's very late here so let's hope someone tells you a step by step. At least we have the basics in front of us so others may write something longer.

Good night,

Bob

Collapse -
Wireless connects but no internet
by melikbilge / June 27, 2007 11:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

Well,I have no idea how to fix this. I can ping google from cmd and stuff, but I can't get anything to connect to the internet. I thought it would work out by the morning, but no way.

Collapse -
Hey Bob
by cgarrity / June 30, 2007 3:09 PM PDT

We moved to WPA-PSK, enabled SSID broadcast and did not use MAC filtering and now all is well.

Bob, re your comment above, is there some reason not to use MAC filtering with WPA-PSK? I'm using both although I realize MAC ain't that much protection.

Collapse -
Why I write that...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2007 3:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Hey Bob

I encountered too many systems that "it doesn't work." Since WPA gives us the security we are looking for, the mac filter is not needed (today.)

The reason for enabling SSID broadcast is simple. Too many machines have connect or "drop" problems if it's disabled.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Collapse -
Just last week...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 28, 2007 12:13 AM PDT

My neighbor with th 327W couldn't connect to the internet but could to the router.

Here's what we found. The "profile" in the 327W had vanished. I decline to duplicate the manual on the 327W or write a step by step in this small space. I offer only general directions and no more.

To fix this we pointed the web browser at http://192.168.0.1 (you need to know this address since on some it's 192.168.1.1) and the name and password is entered there. Since the modem had forgotten all settings we had to use these.

name = admin
password = password

Now that we were able to get in we were able to recreate the login details for his DSL account. Remember I will not give a step by step on this but a general to do direction.

If you need step by step then call your ISP.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.