Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

wireless connection keeps dropping

by luksk / January 14, 2010 3:55 AM PST

i have belking n+ connection drops every 30 or so min by ovens, cell phones etc. My sisters laptop uses wireless and nothing happens to her connection while my is off. I use my older sisters internet she lives across the street so a random person with a cell phone will interrupt the connection. What i want to know is if i buy a different adapter will the same problem continue?
I have this:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Belkin+-+Wireless-N%2B+USB+2.0+Adapter/8993903.p?id=1218007083590&skuId=8993903

and i can get this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/NETGEAR+-+RangeMax+Dual-Band+Wireless-N+USB+Adapter/8669942.p?skuId=8669942&id=1196470792213#tabbed-customerreviews

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: wireless connection keeps dropping
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: wireless connection keeps dropping
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So did you try it with
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2010 5:15 AM PST

1. Router defaults?
2. SSID broadcasting (hiding makes some machines drop.)
3. WPA (wep = drop.)
4. Set the router to 802.11g mode.

Collapse -
not router
by luksk / January 15, 2010 1:25 AM PST
In reply to: So did you try it with

When ever im connected to my sisters router i get connected but the internet dosent work. so i though it might be something with her router so i connected to some neighbors router and it was the same problem connected but internet didn't work.

Collapse -
The other usuals.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 15, 2010 2:33 AM PST
In reply to: not router

The antivirus has expired. Norton being very common to block the internet as it approached the end.

Your post didn't tell much so I'll wait for it.
Bob

Collapse -
removed my antivirus
by luksk / January 15, 2010 4:45 AM PST
In reply to: The other usuals.

i just removed my anti virus and disabled my firewall to see if my connection gets interrupted again.

Collapse -
One thing is certain.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 15, 2010 5:19 AM PST
In reply to: removed my antivirus

Since wifi is an unprotected connection it will drop. There is no reason to expect it to be stable but who in this industry would reveal that it is all too easy to swat down connections?

The forum settings help but there is no cure that will fix microwave overs, 2.4GHz cordless phones and that kid that is swatting down your link!
Bob

Collapse -
a bit more information
by luksk / January 15, 2010 5:20 AM PST
In reply to: The other usuals.

Let me explain the situation in detail.
I get my connection from my sisters house which is across the street from where i live. I used to use Linkeys G adapter it worked fine, connection was a solid 2-3 bars maybe dropped once or twice a day till the adapter broke. Ten days ago i got Belkin N+ for the first two days it was 4-5 bars never dropped. On the third day it started to drop every 30 min, the signal said Very Good, Status Connected but no Internet. I thought it might have been something with my sisters router so i connected to a nearby neighbor and it was the same problem Signal Good status connected. For a fact i know the oven interrupts the connection and my cell phone some times, so i made sure none of those devices were on. My younger sisters laptop also is connected to my older sisters router hers is always on never drops. Maybe its the adapter too sensitive?
The neighbor and sisters router have different channels one is on 6 the other on 1, so i know its nothing to do with them it must be something with he adapter. As I'm writing this i cant send post because of the problem.

Collapse -
Good luck.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 15, 2010 8:34 AM PST
In reply to: a bit more information

Given the distance and more, only luck will help. Or get your own connection in your home.

Collapse -
Try this
by kspitzer / January 15, 2010 12:00 PM PST
In reply to: a bit more information

It is a matter of eliminating the trouble maker. All manufacturers of Wireless Routers and Adapters have a casual problem with their chips dropping connections. If this is the case then you should return the item for either an exchange or to get a different router or adapter.
Try a different computer in your house. Try your adapter with a different computer. Try you adapter closer to your sister's router. It doesn't hurt to get a new wireless G/N adapter that is from the same manufacturer as your router.
If other wireless adapters drop signal with your new router then return your new router and either get a different router or and exchange with the same type. The chip in your router maybe bad.
Also try to check to see if their is an upgrade firmware/software for your router and adapter. Sometimes manufacturers find out bugs after shipping their products and post a fix as an upgrade to their website. Also the later versions of routers and adapters may already have the fix within them (just a tip if you return for and exchange).
Also if you have a router that only uses 2.4Ghz then yu may have interference from devices that broadcasts 2.4Ghz. If you get a router and adapter that broadcasts 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz simultaneous (Dual Band) then you may be able to get around that problem. True Dual Band routers that broadcasts 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz simultaneous can help out getting around interference from devices that broadcasts 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz.
More information might help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.