Linux forum

General discussion

Wireless connection is local ONLY

by joe704 / June 20, 2005 8:36 AM PDT

Running SuSE 9.0 on a Dell Inspirion 1100 w/Truemobile 1150 wireless card. I can connect to my local network, but not beyond. Settings are identical to those of my onboard lan (up to "wlan-pcmcia" entries)which are:
Module Name (blank)
Options (blank)
Wireless settings
Operating Mode Manual
ESSID linksys
NWID NONE (my local network name)
Encryption key (correct)
Nick Name (blank)
The wired connections works, and the router is a BEFW11S4. What is wrong with this connection?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless connection is local ONLY
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless connection is local ONLY
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Check your router.
by rootdude / June 21, 2005 4:59 AM PDT

Go into your router configuration: normally just type 192.168.1.1 into a browser on a connected PC, then use User: ______ Password: admin

Check and see if the WLAN is enabled, normally on a linksys you can find this by hitting the ''administration'' tab and scrolling to the middle of the page. Some linksys routers come with the WLAN disabled by default.

Also, I'd suggest you set the DHCP lease time to the maximum.

Collapse -
That's a very old SUSE.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 21, 2005 5:18 AM PDT

I don't expect it to be current enough for this to work proper.

See if the latest Live CD works.

Bob

Collapse -
RE: Wireless lan local ONLY
by joe704 / June 21, 2005 6:34 AM PDT

Very old? It's the last Personal Edition I've seen in stores, and the only distro I ever got to actually connect to my router. I will do as you suggest, but do you know of a reason why I can connect to my local network, but not to the outside world?

ROOTDUDE: Wireless is enabled, and the lease is set for 24 hours. My eth0 connection goes outside, and the wireless conx works with WinXP. Frustrating!

Collapse -
I have 9.2 here from a local shop.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 21, 2005 6:37 AM PDT

You could check with mother what's current.

Best of luck as you check your ifconfig entries.

Bob

Collapse -
RE: wireless lan local ONLY
by joe704 / June 21, 2005 8:06 AM PDT

Bob,
I usually buy SuSE from my local Fry's, but I will search around. I have the 9.2 LiveCD on hand; it looks very nice on my desktop, but can't run on the laptop. Got a string of error messages, ending with ''kernel panic. Out of memory and no killable processes''.
Please clarify one thing for me before this thread is closed: I thought wireless config was separate from the ifconfig entries, but your commentary indicates otherwise.
Regards,
joe

Collapse -
About ifconfig and more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 21, 2005 9:11 AM PDT

From what you write, I'd be checking the ifconfig /all output, the DNS entries, the default route or in shorter terms, ALL the TCP/IP entries.

About 9.0. That has to be over 1 year old and I was glad for the newer versions because with each version I had better hardware support and easier setups. You can bang your head on the keyboard if you wish, but I've learned my lesson.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I just installed 9.3 - it is even better yet
by null. / June 22, 2005 5:29 PM PDT
Collapse -
Soon for me. I don't get to play until...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2005 10:52 PM PDT

My next software version is done. So I'm at 9.2 for today... Next week maybe.

Bob

Collapse -
UPDATE: wireless conx is local only
by joe704 / June 30, 2005 1:36 AM PDT

I tried SuSE 9.3 a few days ago; YaST has changed enough so I can't even get a local network connection now, so I'm giving up on SuSE for the laptop. Discovered that the Mandrake Move live CD works, and I'm told that Ubuntu will work, also.

Collapse -
Mandrake is now Mandriva.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2005 1:41 AM PDT

I liked the old name better.

-> You will find that one distro may support a not as popular card or device and another distro overlooked it. This is how most distros work. It is possible to add drivers, but is:

a. Beyond most user's capabilities.
b. I can't help with it in this small box except for cases like the Nvidia and similar situations and even then I have to just leave it at "go get it and follow the directions."

-> I think that most should testdrive a few distros until they find what they like.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.