Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Wireless connection help: dns error?

by sgtwillis / August 1, 2008 7:46 AM PDT

Hello everyone. I have a wireless router problem and have spent hours on customer service with dell, linksys, and at&t. I am desperate for help. I have a dell desktop and dell xps 1530 laptop, and dsl service through at&t. I recently purchased a linksys wrt310n router and could not get it running with help from all 3 customer service reps. It was determined that the router was bad and I returned it in exchange for a linksys wrt160n. I have set the router up. My laptop says it is connected (local and ineternet), but every time I open ie it says webpage cannot be displayed. When I run the check for problem it displays "cannot communicate with dsn server 192.168.1.254" The desktop is connected via the dsl modem and router and can access the internet fine. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless connection help: dns error?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless connection help: dns error?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Presume laptop connects wirelessly??
by Steven Haninger / August 1, 2008 9:56 AM PDT

Can you connect using the wired Ethernet port? Do you know where the mentioned IP address comes from? Modem or router? It looks a bit suspicious. As for connection settings, are you doing these manually or automatically?

Collapse -
reply to: Wireless connection help: dns error?
by kagomeghe / August 3, 2008 3:56 PM PDT

Hello!

i have read the same problem on the supportrix forum and you may try this and see if this help solve your problem. make sure your computer is directly connected to the router

Step 1: Shutdown the computer.
Step 2: reset the router while power on then Unplug the router?s power cable.
Step 3: Unplug the Broadband modem?s power cable and wait for 30 seconds.
Step 4: Plug in the Broadband modem?s power cable and wait for its lights to appear stable.
Step 5: Plug in the router's power cable once the modem?s lights appear stable.
Step 6: Power on the computer on and check internet connection. If you still have no internet connection, access the router setup page and configure the router settings; change the router LAN IP address to 192.168.2.1, set the connection type to PPPoE and manually type yoour att username (in email format) and password, save settings. Go to the router setup page and click on the connect button
Step 7: test the Internet connection once the status indicates connected and IP address show up

if this still didnot work, upgrade the firmware of your router and repeat the same steps.

note:

configuring the router settings will depends who is your provider. if your isp is dsl you need to configure your ISP username (email address format) and password on the router. if your router is a cable no need to change any settings on the router. it should automatically work

Collapse -
Connect with the wireless router.
by PudgyOne / August 3, 2008 6:49 PM PDT

Then click start, run or hit the Windows key and the R key at the same time. This will bring up run.

Type

cmd

hit enter

type

ipconfig /all (space between the g and /)

hit enter

Look for the default gateway. Put that number in the address bar. Log into the Linksys Router.

Broadcast SSID
Use WPA-PSK(TKIP) Security
Mixed b and g mode(n if available)
Use channels 1, 6 or 11. Most wireless devices work best on these channels.

Save and exit. Power everything off for 30 seconds. Now power everything back on. Try and connect.

Rick

Collapse -
Thanks
by sgtwillis / August 3, 2008 9:47 PM PDT

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. I will give this a try and see if works. I will post and let you know what the outcome is.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.