Networking & Wireless forum

Question

wireless card on dsktp can see connections but not mine

by reesaal / December 14, 2011 4:53 AM PST

Hello everyone! my wireless network connection show a few wireless networks but my connection (router) does not show up. it was connected fine but it just stopped working for some reason. I have 2 desktops and a laptop, 1 desktop is connected thru a cable, my laptop can see my connection (router) fine, but my other desktop has a wireless card and is unable to see my connection: this is what I've tried:
I changed channels on my router, reset router, troubleshoot the network but it seems fine, the only thing is that my network connection (router) doesn't show
Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: wireless card on dsktp can see connections but not mine
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: wireless card on dsktp can see connections but not mine
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
THIS HAPPENED TO ME!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2011 4:55 AM PST

It was a real stumper. Turns out the router was on channel 14 and my card was set to it's US mode which can't go that high.

Fix? Set the router to US channels.

There may be more to this story such as hidden SSID.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks
by starsareblood / December 11, 2012 11:07 AM PST
In reply to: THIS HAPPENED TO ME!

When attempting to triage this problem I didn't know that this could be an issue. You have fixed my problem. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Your existence has made mine more pleasurable. Tog go bog e.

[these cnet ******** won't let me use fadas Sad ]

Collapse -
Answer
Still unable to connect
by reesaal / December 15, 2011 12:00 AM PST

I changed the channel to #11, that was the default channel, however it still does not work.. what else can I do
help please

Collapse -
The lack of details means I can't give better ideas.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2011 12:08 AM PST

For example this is proper for Windows XP (the one without the service packs.)

Is this a Windows XP machine? I can't see the details needed to work this issue.
Bob

Collapse -
Details
by reesaal / December 15, 2011 3:58 AM PST

I have a Router D-LINK Model VWR-VD
I'm running windows 7 on all 3 computers, the 2 desktops have ultimate and the laptop has home
the computer with the wireless problem has a
Realtek 8185 Extensive 802.11 b/g wireless device installed RTL8185L PCI Wireless adapter
I have already installed the latest driver but it can't see my wireless card although it can see other connections (routers)
thank you

Collapse -
Here's my bet.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2011 4:21 AM PST
In reply to: Details

Someone installed Windows 7 but has not installed drivers for the motherboard and in the case of Dell computers the QuickSet app. It's a shame we have this many posts and are only now getting some details.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,224 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,453 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,090 discussions
icon
Security 30,722 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,937 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,295 discussions
icon
Phones 16,252 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,684 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,215 discussions

CNET EDITORS' CHOICE

Roku Streaming Stick 2016

Roku has the most apps, the simplest interface and the best search, making it CNET's favorite way to stream Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, HBO and all the rest.