Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Wireless Card Not Picking Up Available Networks

by SashaKitty / February 27, 2006 6:04 AM PST

I have a working LinkSys router, powering a laptop with no problems. I have recently bought a wireless card for a second laptop and gone thru the set-up process. The laptop picks up a wireless connection fine from my office (have a hot spot there), but will not pick up available wireless connections at home, even when laptop #1 is not only picking my router, but also can see that my neighbors is available.

Can you offer suggestions on what I should check?

Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless Card Not Picking Up Available Networks
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless Card Not Picking Up Available Networks
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Items to Check
by sirquin / February 27, 2006 8:18 AM PST

Without knowing Operating System and specifications, a couple things that you can check.

1. On your Linksys do you have any security setup, for example WEP, Mac Address Settings etc.

2. If you move the card to your other laptop does it work?

Those would be the first couple of items I would try.

Collapse -
turn on SSID broadcast
by linkit / February 27, 2006 10:56 AM PST

What Linksys router model?

At least for the first time connecting, turn on SSID broadcast on home router.

Home router is set to broadcast in what wireless standard-- a, b, g?

Collapse -
The problems continue . . .
by SashaKitty / March 12, 2006 9:33 PM PST

I've made sure that I have SSID enabled and have even taken down the security to make sure that is not the problem. The second laptop does see the wireless network available, but cannot complete a connection. Laptop connects to some hotspots at my office, but not at home. I've even sat in the same room with the router, just in case distance was the issue, but still no connection.

Any more ideas? Thanks.

Collapse -
models please
by linkit / March 13, 2006 2:19 AM PST

What is the model name of the router?
What is the model name of the wireless network adapter?

Collapse -
Wireless unable to connect
by SashaKitty / March 14, 2006 5:46 AM PST
In reply to: models please

Both the router and adaptors are Linksys products (G).

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) SPECIFIC models please
by linkit / March 14, 2006 6:34 AM PST
Collapse -
Model Information
by SashaKitty / March 14, 2006 9:19 PM PST

LinkSys 2.4GHz, 802.11g broadband router and notebook adapter.

Collapse -
What Linkit need is the Model of the brand
by Gakada / March 15, 2006 1:22 AM PST
In reply to: Model Information

something like, linksys WRT54G and WUSB54g for example...

Anyway, Did you enable your wireless??

does it work at your office?

If you unable to bring your two laptop to the office, and try it there, then, may I know who setup the first computer at your home? can you ask them?

Does it use a SSID and Password?
Which security did it used, if any.. (WEP, WPA, WPA2)
What Channel?
What IP did you get (on the working laptop and what is in the non working laptop)

Collapse -
did it work at your office?
by Gakada / March 13, 2006 1:02 AM PST

you may also want to update your firmware..

Collapse -
Need Linksys WPC54G Wireless-G Notebook Adapter V4
by SashaKitty / March 16, 2006 3:12 AM PST

I have determined that Version 3 of this adapter does not work with my system. I have brought the laptop up with a Version 4 card and it accesses the network just fine.

The question now is, where can I find another version 4 adapter? The box does not reflect this information. It is only located on the back of the adapter in small print.

Suggestions will be appreciated.

Collapse -
That is why I kept asking you...
by linkit / March 16, 2006 4:42 AM PST

...for the model numbers of the hardware. There are known issues with certain versions of hardware. Your v.3 adapter quite possibly would have worked with the correct driver. Linksys often has different drivers for different versions of the same adapter model number. For the PC Card adapters like thw WPC54G, there is sometimes even a firmware update in addition to an updated driver.

For your v.3 adapter, have you surfed over to Linksys.com > Support > Downloads > your model number (and version)? It should provide the proper updated driver for any model (and version of model) that Linksys makes.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.