TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Wireless Cable TV from Angeltrax

by cutty15 / April 21, 2004 2:38 AM PDT

Has anyone heard of this company or product? From their website, they claim that you can wirelessly transmit cable signals up to 300 ft. Is this product for real? Does it work well?

Thanks,
Brendan

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless Cable TV from Angeltrax
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless Cable TV from Angeltrax
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well it took a year for someone to answer....
by houstontx32 / April 4, 2005 6:17 AM PDT

Included in box:
Transmitting unit - approx 5" x 3" x 2" with removable antennae - looks very similar to a typical wireless router;
Receiver unit - approx same size as transmitting unit but antennae is non-removable.
2 grounded DC power supply units
1 RCA-type connector cable
1 2-way coax cable splitter
1 remote w/ batteries
Instruction manual including online tech support and phone support

I've been looking for a wireless cable transmitter solution for my kitchen off and on for a while now. I put it off until after my kitchen remodel was complete.

In summary, the Angeltrax Wireless Cable TV solution is a transmitter that takes the signal from your coax cable and sends it, up to 300 feet, to a receiver that is ported to another TV (thru the 3-pronged RCA type connectors). The receiver TV then can work independently from the "transmitting TV" and act just like it was hard-wired for cable. The only catch is that you must be receiving some sort of cable TV programming from your local cable provider (obviously or what signal would you be "sharing"?). A cable splitter is provided so that you can easily take the coax cable from the wall and divide the signal to your current TV or cable box and the new AngelTrax transmitter. Instructions are included for hooking up the transmitter directly to your cable box for broadcasting a digital signal (for example) but you need to buy an additional RCA cable to perform this "advanced" set-up.

A nifty idea if you don't want to have your local cable company boring holes into your interiors walls or if you want to put a TV outside occasionally. Another use is for college dorm life where one cable bill can be split out to 2 separate dorm rooms within 300 feet of each other.

Does it work? Yes with some issues. I think it depends greatly on where you locate the receiver. Like I said previously, my "non wired" or receiving TV is a 14" flat screen in the kitchen. Also located within 8 feet of this TV is a microwave and a laptop PC that is part of my wireless home network. The combination of these wireless transmitting devices distresses the signal. When the microwave is in use forget about watching the TV - way too much interference. With the microwave off I still get the occasional flicker of the screen and audio "burps". The instruction manual does state clearly that microwaves will case signal issues. The transmitting box and the receiver are located approx 50 feet from each other. When I walk directly in front of the receiver is when I get most of the minor interference. Maybe I'm radioactive.

Out of the box it takes approx 10 minutes to set up the basic system solution. The system comes with 8 different signal settings so you need to play around with the 8 to find out which gives you the clearest picture and sound quality. Just be sure if the receiver unit is on signal channel "2" that the transmittor is also on signal channel "2" or else you'll get no picture (i.e., make sure both units are on the same signal). Since the 2 boxes are most likely in different rooms, this is a step best performed by 2 people - one person at the receiver and one person at the transmitter - so that you can change the signal channel simultaneously and so that the person on the receiver end can view the picture quality. This will definitely save you some walk around time.

Picture and audio quality are equal to a wired cable TV except for the occasional hiccups as I described previously.

The instructions are much like a quick-step installation guide and, really, there isn't much to getting it up and running. I wish there was more depth to their literature but you can also go online or *gasp* use their phone support. I did go online and found a quick solution to improving my picture quality by using a hidden secret transmitter/receiver signal combination that should have just been included in the manual to begin with.

The system is well packed.

Phone support was not used.

Device was not used outside the kitchen due to my laziness. Had it been I'm fairly confident the signal would have been much clearer. Also I did not test the 300? limits that the advertising adheres to.

Remote is OK but for some reason I could not get the channel up and channel down functions to work. As this is not a channel surfing TV it's really a non-issue for me. In my case, I have to manually enter the digits for each channel to go to it.

In summary I?m fairly happy with the purchase. It was easy and seems to do OK for watching TV while making dinner. Best Buy online and provantage.com or ebay are the best places to purchase this item. Cost will be a tad above a Franklin.

Collapse -
Price
by tmsmalley / April 30, 2005 10:02 PM PDT

I notice that Best Buy has it listed at $150. Anyone have it cheaper.

Collapse -
Wireless Cable TV
by JackCasual / June 22, 2005 11:26 PM PDT

Hello,

In your message you stated "a quick solution to improving my picture quality by using a hidden secret transmitter/receiver signal combination that should have just been included in the manual to begin with."

I've been to the website, and I'm unable to figure out that secret combination. Can you help?

Thanks

Jack

Collapse -
My two cents....
by GabzDarkKnight / June 27, 2005 7:47 AM PDT

Just purchased this product and am really impressed. I'm very surprised that more of these aren't being made by varying companies but......whatever.

I set this up with the transmitter in an upstairs room and the receiver in a downstairs room almost directly beneath the receiver.

Couldn't get a clear signal (the video was clear but would break every 2 seconds and there was no audio) until I called tech support and was told how to get to channels ''5, 6, 7 and 8'' on the transmitter and receiver. (again, just hold down the ''channel'' button on the receiver for 20 seconds and then channel ''5'' will be displayed and you can select 6, 7 and 8 if needed)

Once I got to channel 5.......BINGO!

Nice clear signal and everything's working fine.

The remote is pretty simple and worked great.

I'd HIGHLY suggest you get this if you think that Comcast is going to screw you on installation fees for addtional cable jacks.

Getting online after I finish this message to order an additional receiver for another room in my house.

Great product.....get it if your cable provider will charge you more than what this costs and if you'll be charged an additional monthly fee for an extra wall cable jack.

Oh...I got mine at Best Buy for $145.00. Yeah, kinda high but I'd rather Best Buy get my money than Comcast.

Collapse -
Better price
by tmsmalley / May 1, 2005 8:54 AM PDT
Collapse -
Better price
by houstontx32 / May 10, 2005 5:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Better price

I purchased mine off of ebay for $127.50 shipped but I would definitely go with purchasing it from a company that has a good return policy just in case.

Collapse -
Great Product - Works as Advertised
by rziulek / August 1, 2005 12:24 PM PDT

This is a fairly new product. I have been looking for something like this for quite a while. Products existed that would send a wireless cable signal, but it had to be the same channel as the main TV station. I wanted a product that allowed for different stations on the main and remote TVs. No one had a clue what to do.

I live in a high rise condo subject to hurricanes, so it's made out of 12'' concrete for ceilings and floor. Running cables to the extra bedroom was out of the question. We have metal studs in the interior walls instead of wood 2x4s which can interfere with reception of wireless signals.

I spent 10 minutes setting this product up and, presto, problem solved. I hooked up the sending unit in the livingroom and the receiving unit in the extra bedroom at the other end of the condo.

The TV in the back bedroom gets clear reception. The picture looks like its plugged into a cable wall outlet.

One note of caution. The receiving TV must have AV input jacks (RCA type). If you have an older TV with only a cable (coax) input jack, you will need to replace your TV. This isn't a problem with more recent TVs.

I would recommend this product highly.

Collapse -
How about satellite (Dish Network) signals.
by jrober08 / August 2, 2005 1:14 PM PDT

I went to our new Best Buy store and saw this item in it's box. The box gave the impression that I could hook this up to my Dish Network receiver and watch the output on another TV. I don't see how that is possible and was wondering if anyone tried it out. I don't even need to be able to watch a different station then the satellite receiver is tuned to.

Collapse -
I know this took a while but...
by akhenax / September 13, 2007 3:43 AM PDT

Yes, you should be able to send any signal that is already decrypted. Cable, Satellite AND DVD video.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.