Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Wireless AP protective cage

by Steven Haninger / March 30, 2008 9:02 PM PDT

I'm working as a volunteer with a small school to install wireless hardware. We'll be mounting the APs in hallways on fairly high walls. This is a K-8 school and these devices will be out of jumping range but we are concerned about kids being curious about anything with blinking lights and tossing objects at them. Of course kids would never do that. Happy I've been trying to search for shields or cages that would offer protection and be transparent to the signal so I presume metal screens are out. I'm wondering if such shields are already available of if anyone here has seen or used them. Maybe this isn't a worry but it might be better to be safe than sorry. So far my internet search has been unsuccessful but perhaps my key words have been wrong. I've also been looking for additional mounting hardware for the relay rack only to find that what I want are called "cage nuts". Who's supposed to know that sort of stuff?? Happy

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless AP protective cage
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless AP protective cage
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Thanks...and we were trying to be creative
by Steven Haninger / March 31, 2008 12:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Here's what we used.

in finding some sort of every day item that wouldn't look too out of place. My wife, who teaches at the school, has gone to her "tech" community to see what their thoughts were or if it's even a real concern at all. Most have come back and told her to put them above a drop ceiling. The top floor doesn't have such a ceiling but the bottom floor does. I've crawled through that area many times pulling cable and doing some electrical wiring. There's just too much metal up there...electrical, plumbing, and HVAC ductwork....to think that signal loss wouldn't happen. Placing the APs in the hallway isn't ideal but we can't put one in every classroom. The signal will need to pass through 1 cinder block wall. I've tested using an AP in the computer lab and passing the signal across the hall through 2 walls and it works ok. I can get 100+ feet from the AP in a direction diagonal from it and still connect but I'm thinking metal duct and steel joists in the ceiling would reek havoc with the signals. I'd hide them if I could. Maybe some nice big teak wood salad bowls? Happy

Collapse -
Think plastic.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 31, 2008 12:53 AM PDT

Wood absorbs the RF signal.

Collapse -
Just found the right word
by Steven Haninger / March 31, 2008 1:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Think plastic.

It's "enclosure" and have found several sites and articles on using wireless AP enclosures. That's the good news. The bad news is the cost of these guys...OUCH! The APs we have are 3Com 7760s and I've been messing around with them connected to a 3Com PoE switch this past weekend and working with some of the school laptops to see how well they get along. So far, so good. These devices might fit into 4" PVC drain pipe just fine. Ugly, but might work. Thanks for the tip about wood. I'll ask the guy at Lowes how RF transparent his sewer piping is. Happy

Collapse -
ABS (the black stuff)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 31, 2008 1:29 AM PDT

Is what we used for an outdoor housing. The pricing was cheap just like that letter tray. Why would I pay for more?

Collapse -
Not a bad solution at all
by Steven Haninger / March 31, 2008 8:18 AM PDT
In reply to: ABS (the black stuff)

Will check into it. Thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.