Computer Help

Question

Wireless Adaptor Problem

by Schokers / August 12, 2013 2:40 PM PDT

I have a Dell Inspiron desktop running Windows XP Pro SP3. It has a an E4600 2.4 GHz processor and 4GB of Ram . The motherboard, however, has been replaced and is now an ASUSTek.
I have Broadband cable and yesterday some heavy winds caused the loss of my (and others} Internet connection as well as my cable TV which uses the same street cables. As the cable problem is likely to exist for a few days I thought I would use my smartphone and a portable hotspot to connect with the Internet and get my mail. However, my Dell does not have wireless so I thought I would use a Netgear WG111v3 wireless adaptor which I had.
Now comes the problem. The smartphone is showing that it is connected to the Dell and an ASUS netbook (which has wireless}. When I open the Dell to the screen which is headed "Choose a Wireless Network" it lists my smartphone, shows the full 5 bars of signal srength, but the top right heading says Not Connected, However, the text in the same box says " you are currently connected to the network". At the bottom of the window, the only option is Disconnect.
What am I doing wrong here?
P.S. I am using my Netbook to post this - the phone is working perfectly as a modem with it..

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless Adaptor Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless Adaptor Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
So it's not a Dell anymore?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 14, 2013 9:44 AM PDT

I read it was a Dell and the motherboard is now not from Dell so this means that that Windows may not function properly. That is, when I change a motherboard I get to start over.

Here's a search about the issue and possible cure but notice it may overtax your average owner?

-> https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Change+motherboard+and+save+Windows+XP

Bob

Collapse -
Not a Dell
by Schokers / August 14, 2013 10:29 AM PDT

Why the question mark in your title? I am fully aware that by changing the motherboard it is now not a Dell. I only mentioned Dell so people could see what it started out as.
The motherboard has been changed for some months and I have not had any other issues due to this change so I doubt it is a Dell/Motherboard/Windows issue on this minor matter.
I thought it was some setting that I had not picked up correctly as the wireless connection appeared to be nearly there with the dongle, hence the post. Anyway, my Internet and Cable TV came back in 24 hours (sooner than the ISP had indicated) so the problem went away. It would have been nice to get a specific solution for next time, but hopefully there won't be one.
Thanks for your input.

Collapse -
It's one of those things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 14, 2013 12:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Not a Dell

That confound folk. They change the board, XP works and then later something changes with a Windows Update or other cause. I've lost count of this story.
Bob

Collapse -
Motherboard Issue
by Schokers / August 14, 2013 12:52 PM PDT

I woould be 99% certain that this problem has nothing to do with a motherboard change, one I was forced to do when my computer repair man could not source a replacement Dell one when fixing another problem. If there were any motherboard issues they would have surfaced with more significant problems than the minor one I have raised.
Also the type of problem does not appear to be one of compatibilty issues between the motherboard and Windows.

Collapse -
Problem Solved
by Schokers / August 14, 2013 10:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Motherboard Issue

The cause of the problem turned out to be a simple one. I had plugged the USB Wireless Adaptor into a USB port on my Dell monitor (this has always worked for flash drives which is the usual hardware I plug into it). I decided to try plugging the Adaptor directly into a USB port on the desktop tower and the Internet connection was made using the portable hot spot on my smart phone as a modem.

Collapse -
Good job. Thanks for telling.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 14, 2013 10:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Problem Solved

Nobody could have guessed this.

Kees

Collapse -
Good work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2013 12:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Problem Solved

Thanks for telling.

Collapse -
Stop Press
by Schokers / August 15, 2013 7:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Good work.

I omitted to tell what directed me to the solution. During the problem period my Dell monitor finally failed. For a number of days previously the image on start-up failed to stay on for more than a second when switching on the monitor (although the image that showed was fine), but after a number of on/offs it would. Finally last Tuesday, it would not remain on permanently and a Self Test confirmed it was now defective (the Self Test bars themselves would not stay on). I bought a new LED HD monitor and it did not have built-in USB ports. I decided to give the Wireless Adaptor one more try, and of course I had to use another USB port.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.