Dell forum

General discussion

wireless adaptor not responding after sleep mode

by python / December 10, 2009 11:08 PM PST

time after time my computer, Dell 1545s-6055NBK, does not wake up the wireless adaptor which came installed . In order to get on line I have to turn the computer off and restart and then it responds. Any solution to this annoying problem would be appreciated. Thank you.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: wireless adaptor not responding after sleep mode
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: wireless adaptor not responding after sleep mode
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Install the drivers
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 11, 2009 12:06 AM PST

That the machine came with. It should have worked until some one installed some new driver. Or go to dell.com enter the service tag and install the driver for this machine's wifi card.

If all fails, wipe it out and install back to the factory load. Instruct the owner not to update drivers.
Bob

Collapse -
install the drivers
by python / December 11, 2009 8:57 AM PST
In reply to: Install the drivers

Spent almost an hour with tech who installed the drivers on the wireless adaptor in my computer. Unfortunately after in sleep mode for a couple hours later, when I came back on, the internet icon showed disconnect, the same as before I contacted on line help. So I restarted and the connection came up full bars right away as usual.
I'm thinking I would like to try your suggestion to wipe it out and install back to factory load, but how do I do that? or should I?
You have helped me in the past, will appreciate your advice. Thanks in advance.
P.S. I have noticed that the linksys connection is not listed under connections after sleep, until after I restart. Wondering if that would cause the disconnect during sleep? Hope I'm making sense.

Collapse -
I agree.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 11, 2009 10:46 PM PST
In reply to: install the drivers

It's too much to ask some to reinstall the OS. So let's try this.

HIBERNATE.

Some drivers don't sleep well so try hibernate and forget the sleep mode.
Bob

Collapse -
hibernate
by python / December 12, 2009 5:10 AM PST
In reply to: I agree.

All day today I stayed away from putting the computer in Sleep, just walking away and doing nothing, always when I came back on I was still connected to the Internet. No disconnects. Did the computer automatically go to Hibernate? It is not listed after the arrow of Shut Down. Is there something I should be doing to "Hibernate" that is power saving? I will continue to avoid the Sleep mode since it disconnects from the Internet upon wake up. . So much time spent on this new computer but I have lots of patience. Please let me know if there is a certain way to hibernate the computer, if not I will continue to just walk away and let it do it's thing.
Thanks again for your expertise!!

Collapse -
What they say.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 12, 2009 6:04 AM PST
In reply to: hibernate

"Don't fix things that work."

If it is working, let it be. Bob

Collapse -
What they say
by python / December 15, 2009 6:47 AM PST
In reply to: What they say.

Bob, just to let you know that ( don't know what I did) but now when I go to Shut Down I have the choice of HIBERNATE on the list of things to do, how about that? Agree, everything is working fine so wil not change a thing. Thanks again, this is a great place to communicate.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.