Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Wired Network Adapter not showing up

by Ravi2202 / July 16, 2009 9:03 AM PDT

Hello. My desktop computer has been running windows xp for a long time. It also has a linksys wireless card that connects to a router in my home. Yesterday, I tried to run an ethernet cable from my router to my computer. The computer crashed/froze almost instantly. I decided to re-start the computer and again it crashed/froze.
The reason I wanted to do this is because I want to connect my linksys wireless card to a gaming console so I can play games with people all over the world. This required me to change some of the settings on my network card. This time I changed the settings before connecting the ethernet cable to my computer. When I connected the cable, my computer showed the wired cable icon "searching for ip address" then I got the "blue screen of death" saying that windows crashed due to some form of network/hardware problem. I restarted the computer and in a few minutes I got the blue screen again.

Today, I tried to connect the cable while my network card was connected to the internet. Nothing happened. Before when I went into "network connections" it showed that there was a wired network adapter. Now, it isn't there anymore.

tl;dr? My wired network adapter doesn't show up in my network connections. My computer seems to be unable to connect to the internet via ethernet cable.

Additional Info: I am running Windows Xp Professional with Service Pack 2. I have 512 mb of RAM.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wired Network Adapter not showing up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wired Network Adapter not showing up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Drivers
by vegaskurt / July 16, 2009 9:16 AM PDT

Does it show up in the device manager? If it still does, right click and uninstall the device and then restart your computer. Windows XP should give it a fresh set of drivers and add it back to the system. I had something similiar happen to my network card, but it happened after I updated windows the card stopped working.

You could also try reinstalling the drivers directly from a disk.

Collapse -
I will try it.
by Ravi2202 / July 16, 2009 9:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Drivers

Right now I'm installing service pack 3 to see if that will change anything. When that finishes I will check for the drivers. But if it is there I don't have the disk since the drivers came installed with the computer(I think). What should I do if the drivers aren't there?

Collapse -
Website!
by vegaskurt / July 16, 2009 9:46 AM PDT
In reply to: I will try it.

If you can still get on the internet, go to the manufacturers website, who makes it?

Collapse -
Manufacturer
by Ravi2202 / July 16, 2009 10:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Website!

Makes what? The computer?

Update: I installed Service Pack 3 then when I started it the network adapter showed up. Then, I shut down the computer and plugged in the ethernet cable. Then, I restarted the computer and the network adapter disappeared again.

Collapse -
Device Manager
by Ravi2202 / July 16, 2009 10:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Drivers

The network adapter still isn't showing up in my network connections. I opened up device manager and in the network adapters section there is my linksys card and something called "SMC EZ Card 10/100 PCI". I'm guessing that is my wired network adapter. Should I uninstall that and restart the computer?

Collapse -
Device Manager
by vegaskurt / July 16, 2009 3:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Device Manager

Yes, that is your ethernet adapter.

You can do a couple of things:

1. If you have an internet connection you can download the driver and install it yourself.

-or-

2. You can unistall the device and restart your computer and on computer start-up it should recognize it and give it a valid driver.

Collapse -
Not working.
by Ravi2202 / July 17, 2009 12:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Device Manager

I did both of those things more than once and it just isn't working. When I plug it in in the bottom right corner the icon for the wired connection either:

A) Says it is finding the network address, but then it says "a cable is unplugged" and then it goes back to the "finding network address". It just keeps repeating itself

B) A yellow triangle with an exclamation point shows up and it still doesn't work.

I tried repairing, connecting to different places, etc. Also, my computer started running extremely slow and I even got the BSOD again.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.