Computer Help forum

General discussion

Wipe Hard Drive, Keep OS?

by seangunner / February 10, 2010 2:27 AM PST

I am selling my laptop tomorrow and I need to erase the HD. I bought the computer new, however, and it did not come with a software disk. Consequently, I have the windows 7 upgrade disk that was sent to me back in October.

Is there a free or cheap program that erases the HD but keeps the OS?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wipe Hard Drive, Keep OS?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wipe Hard Drive, Keep OS?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
OEM
by jeff_windows_team / February 10, 2010 2:32 AM PST

If the machine came with Vista pre-installed (OEM copy) and a free upgrade to Windows 7, that OS is tied to the machine and cannot be removed and installed on a different machine.

Collapse -
I don't
by pinopino / February 10, 2010 9:06 AM PST
In reply to: OEM

Think he's intending to install it on another machine, he just wants to remove everything but the os so he can safely sell his comp.
Unfortunately I've never herd of anything like that, at the least not anything that would do it with fairly decent results. The windows oem key should be taped to your computer and if you're lucky enough to know someone who got software with their comp (Or your win7 dvd might work) you should be able to format you hdd and reinstall windows with the borrowed dvd.(Check with jeff for this, I think it should be ok as long as you have a valid lisence and it's used on the same mb. As you don't have any software there is no guarantee that there are readily available good drivers for your harware, but I found win7 did an excellent job findiong drivers on my machine.
Good luck

Collapse -
Not What I Meant
by seangunner / February 10, 2010 2:04 PM PST
In reply to: OEM

I did not mean I was going to try and upgrade on another computer. I meant that I just wish to wipe the HD so I can sell it safely. I don't have confidential information, just figured they would appreciate a like new system.

Collapse -
Options....
by Willy / February 10, 2010 10:23 PM PST
In reply to: Not What I Meant

Provided your laptop came with the required s/w, it may allow you to create a back-up. What type of back-up is another matter as usually it refers to the current user input as it stands. Its not going IMHO make a pure OEM type backup as in blank of any owner input, but that is not a given. No gave no details of your laptop, etc., so the best bet is visit their support website and query there. If no info, then allow the new owner to get it, if Vista OS should be easily gotten for small cost. Otherwise, just flat out wipe out the HD using KILLDISK or DBAN. google for them, freebies. -OR- aloow the new owner to install win7 but wipeout previous OS during the process.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
If we knew the make and model of the laptop ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 10, 2010 11:58 PM PST
In reply to: Not What I Meant

better advice could be offered as well as the ability to point you to probable links that detail a complete restoration in great detail.

A Dell for instance will have a Service Tag number located on a dataplate on the bottom of the laptop and making use of it on the Dell support site gives you your options.

Just above where you are typing your subject title for each post is this note in attention getting red text --

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Providing that information helps us help you.

Collapse -
Sony
by seangunner / February 11, 2010 12:28 AM PST

Sony Vaio VGN NS325J

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.