Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

WinXP Freezes After A Few Minutes

by 72rider / October 2, 2011 10:58 AM PDT

Hi Guys,

Need some help here. I have exhausted all of my meager skills on this one. I had "upgraded" my parents new computer a few years from Vista to XP Professional. It had ran fantastic up until a month ago.

They would turn it on and within 3-10 minutes, it would lock up and cause whatever graphics that were on the screen to go jagged and diagonal on the screen. I initially thought it was a graphics issue and purchased a basic PCI-E nVidia card from Best Buy. After getting that installed, the issue still remained the same.

I disables all the unnecessary hardware and drivers in the Device Manager and also removed all the recent programs and updates using the Add/Remove utility. Still no luck... and it was locking up in Safe Mode as I did all that.

During all the times I had to restart and troubleshoot with new hopeful fixes, I had this error come up two times:
C:\DOCUME~1\Frank\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER8216.dir00\Mini100111-02.dmpC:\DOCUME~1\Frank\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER8216.dir00\sysdata.xmlBCCode : 9c BCP1 : 00000004 BCP2 : 8054E5F0 BCP3 : F2000010 BCP4 : 00010C0F OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product : 256_1

Next I just scrapped the whole troubleshooting process and purchased a new hard drive to install. I was even experiencing lockups during the quickformat and install process. But after getting the format and install complete... I got this blue screen error message two times:
The image url.dll is possibly corrupt. The header checksum does not match the computed checksum.

So I opened a fresh new copy of XP Pro SP2 (yes, still shrink wrapped w/ new COA) and installed off of that. Same lock up issues and same blue screen error at the end!

It has two 256mb modules and I pulled each one separately and ran the computer with one module at a time to rule out one of them being bad.

I'm lost. The memory was the last straw and I'm turning to you guys. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Jeff

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WinXP Freezes After A Few Minutes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WinXP Freezes After A Few Minutes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Did you try the usual?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 2, 2011 11:03 AM PDT
Collapse -
More Troubleshooting Needed...
by 72rider / October 4, 2011 11:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Did you try the usual?

Picked up some heat sink compound today and tackled the cleaning project. I took my air compressor and gently blew out the case. There was moderate dust buildup, but nothing crazy. I have seen much worse. I removed the two heat sinks and cleaned them up removing all dust and compound. Put new compound on and let it set for about 20 minutes. Booted up and got the "url.dll is possibly corrupt" within 15 seconds of pressing the power button. Re-booted and and the computer actually stayed on the longest time since it has been in my possession. However, 18 minutes later and the screen had diagonal jagged lines on it. What should I try next?

Thanks
Jeff

Collapse -
We may be very very close.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 4, 2011 12:44 PM PDT

I can't see the screen but let's do the following.

Start, Run, DXDIAG press enter, on the RIGHT MOST TAB click that and see the OVERRIDE button. Click that and use the number 60.

Some of those diagonals are caused by a 3D mode going beyond the CRT's display capability. This sets this to limit that.

Since it did help (cleanup and all) we can also try telling more about the machine and for now leaving the case cover off.
Bob

Collapse -
One Step Forward, Two Steps Back...
by 72rider / October 4, 2011 10:56 PM PDT

Sorry... not able to get that far into Windows. The new hard drive I am using has not been able to run far enough to get a 100% complete install so far. I can get as far as installing the Windows drivers and making through 100% of the progress bar, but then when it restarts, I get the "url.dll is possibly corrupt" blue screen.

Sorry for the late info on the computer. It's an HP 6000n with an AMD processor and a 1/2gb of ram that originally came with Vista Home installed. I'm putting on a new 320gb Seagate drive.

Thanks
Jeff

Collapse -
Stop.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 5, 2011 1:34 AM PDT

Let's get the exact model and have you supply a link. HP got blasted badly over the chips used in the DV6000/DV9000 and other models so we may be dealing with a known baddy.
Bob

Collapse -
Info...
by 72rider / October 5, 2011 2:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Stop.

I'll reply after work and get the exact info off the service tag.

Jeff

Collapse -
Service Tag
by 72rider / October 5, 2011 10:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Info...

HP a6000n
System Number: 885AA
Serial Number: CNH7090P53

Collapse -
The RX885AA at link came with 1.0GB RAM.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 5, 2011 12:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Service Tag
Collapse -
RAM
by 72rider / October 5, 2011 1:16 PM PDT

Not sure about the RAM. Definitely half a gb though. Is this a known baddy?

Collapse -
No, just an oldy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 5, 2011 1:20 PM PDT
In reply to: RAM

Thanks for the details but it's starting to sound like someone swapped out the RAM. I supplied a link and I can't find a 512MB model of that system.

I'd try any other sticks next.
Bob

Collapse -
RAM
by 72rider / October 5, 2011 10:24 PM PDT
In reply to: No, just an oldy.

Do you think it may be a RAM issue? I pulled both, ran the machine with one at a time and the problems remained. Could both go at the same time? Does everyone think it is a hardware issue and not software?

Jeff

Collapse -
Sorry
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 6, 2011 3:21 AM PDT

But who said these "went"? I can only note that those appear to be from somewhere else.

Remember that it's likely someone swapped the 1GB out for their 512MB and that was the beginning of troubles. But as I don't know the machine's history all I can do is look at what it came with and guess that someone did something to it.
Bob

Collapse -
No Problem
by 72rider / October 6, 2011 5:24 AM PDT

I don't think anyone said they "went". But I'm wondering if it's possible that both could go out at once? They are the original sticks from the day it arrived at my parents house about three years ago, and it had been running fine since being received. I understand that something happened to the originals from the factory or location they were shipped from. I'm just looking at which direction to head from here.

Jeff

Collapse -
Answer
Recap.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 6, 2011 5:31 AM PDT

Why the memory was suspect to me?

-> Can't find that model with 512MB.

At this point we either swap the ram and hope that CRUCIAL.COM has the parts. And why CRUCIAL.COM? Because machines of this and today's makings are PICKY about the parts.

THE ONLY REASON I WRITE ABOUT THE RAM IS IT "APPEARS" to be something different from stock.

--> Really want to fix this? Go get some other machine like http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=OPTIPLEX-740-PB-6B&cat=SYS and use the display and keyboard.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.