Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

WinXP boots to splash screen & reboots never ending cycle..

by roreri / April 12, 2009 2:42 AM PDT

My windows XP Sp3 system is giving me grief! It tries to boot, get to the Windows splash screen and the ?gas gage? starts running across the bottom of the screen and then it hard reboots.
I have tried this hard drive on a system that is up and running as the secondary drive, just to get my data off? Well the system tells me that the drive is not formatted and wants to format it. I tell it NO and shutdown.

Is there any way to fix this problem by booting a WinXP sp3 install CD and doing a ?repair??

OR...

Is there any way I could use an ?upgrade? VISTA CD and ?upgrade? my ?broken? system disk and preserve the data?

I'll go out and purchase what ever software I need to get this up and running, I am getting desperate...

I must mention that this is not a name branded system. It is one that I purchased locally. P4 4 gig, Intel mother board.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

RoReRi

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WinXP boots to splash screen & reboots never ending cycle..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WinXP boots to splash screen & reboots never ending cycle..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
does Safe Mode work?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2009 3:50 AM PDT

As to the other machine, not all machines will do that trick. However a little more detail about the other machine could help.

Collapse -
Safe MOde
by roreri / April 12, 2009 4:26 AM PDT
In reply to: does Safe Mode work?

No Safe mode doesn't work... I have tried everything I know (but what do I know)... 8-))

Thanks !

RoReRi

Collapse -
Let's say I have my XP SP3 CD in hand.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2009 4:42 AM PDT
In reply to: does Safe Mode work?

I could perform the usual XP PARALLEL INSTALL (see google) and in the second parallel OS setup just enough to copy my files to DVDRW or USB media.

Again, this may not apply if you don't have a proper XP SP2/3 CD.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks...
by roreri / April 12, 2009 5:28 AM PDT

I think I'll try the parallel install.. That sounds best at this time.

Thanks again... I've googled Parallel Install and printed out the instructions and am going to do it now...

Thanks again!!!!!

RoReRi

Collapse -
About PARALLEL INSTALLS and ACCOUNTS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2009 6:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks...

Try to not create any account that its name matches your old XP accounts. In fact, just don't create the same name accounts. Pick new names like Dodgey, Billy, etc.

Collapse -
ok.. I'm backup
by roreri / April 12, 2009 7:51 AM PDT

But not the way I had thought I would be... Here is what happened:

Got my Microsoft WinXp sp2 install disk. rebooted pc and booted to the CD...
Went through the steps for a parallel boot and got this....
The partation is either too full, damaged, not formatted or formatted with an incompatable file system. To continue installing Windows, setup must format this partition.
So...sorta screwed there...
Actually tried this twice, didn't believe what I saw the first time.

I started thinking... (Did you smell the smoke???) what if I booted the WinXP install disk and did a Repair and got to the C:\ prompt?
Could I actually do a chkdsk?? Well I tried that and used the /p or maybe the /r switch but it said there were errors found, didn't say it fixed anything, so I did it again, this time no errors were found.
I thought good maybe it fixed it... could my luck go so good?

Rebooted to the "suspect" hard drive and I seem to be backup 100%.

Thanks for all the suggestions, without them I would of never tried the Chkdsk...

Thanks !!!!
RoReRi

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.