Windows Vista

General discussion

winRar

by madeline1013 / May 18, 2007 1:20 PM PDT

why windows vista dont support WinRar file

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: winRar
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: winRar
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tried Winrar 3.70 Beta?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 19, 2007 6:10 AM PDT
In reply to: winRar
Collapse -
Link should not be downloaded
by SquezeBox / March 19, 2011 1:03 AM PDT

That like is to infected WinRar which has a trojan.

Collapse -
You'll Note That Was Posted FOUR Years Ago
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 19, 2011 6:41 AM PDT

And besides, when I downloaded it just now, the version number is now 4.00 and I scanned it with current versions of both Avira and Malwarebytes.. Neither one detects it as a trojan..

You may be referring to the WinRar download that is provided by Download.com.. The presence of a trojan in the Download.com version is known and is being worked on.. The download directly from Winrar has not been detected as far as I know..

Which scanner did you use to detect the trojan in the download I linked to above?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
WinRar
by SquezeBox / March 19, 2011 10:41 AM PDT

AVG shows it as a PWS-SpyEye!env.a

I just downloaded right now from this URL is this the correct place.

http://www.win-rar.com/

Collapse -
Using AVG, same problem
by dd36767 / March 20, 2011 12:55 AM PDT
In reply to: WinRar

I just tried loading winrar 4.00 and AVG warns me that the download is infected with the trojan you mentioned. Any chance this is a false positive?

Collapse -
Possible false positive
by SquezeBox / March 20, 2011 2:01 AM PDT

Anything is possible.

Also this problem has been around for some times it seems. Hard to imagine the people making a good programs like WinRar would hot fix it.

I did check with AVG and did not find anything detailing this problem but looking at PWS-SpyEye!env.a there does seem to be a bit of news online of false positives from other virus scanner software not just AVG.

Collapse -
Well, I've Now Checked It On Two Other Computers...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 20, 2011 10:07 AM PDT
In reply to: WinRar

All have been downloaded from the win-rar.com site. One has McAfee corporate antivirus, the other has ESET antivirus.. Neither one shows the file contains a trojan.. So, I've checked Avira, ESET, McAFee, Malwarebytes, and SuperAntispyware.. NONE of them show the trojan that AVG seems to be finding.. So,,,, false positive seems appropriate to me..

Your choice as to where to proceed from here.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Hamster ZIP Archiver
by dcsheats / April 20, 2011 2:42 AM PDT

I'm not very technical, but just wanted to report my experience today. I recently installed Hamster ZIP Archiver, but because I kept getting an error message at startup, I decided to uninstall. While uninstalling, AVG (free edition) warned me about "PWS-SpyEye!env.a" and I let it put it in the vault, along with an .exe file (the Hamster uninstall file, I believe). However, then I was unable to uninstall properly. After finding this thread, I thought AVG must be mistaken, so I decided to restore the .exe file. Then I uninstalled and ignored the warning about PWS-SpyEye!env.a. I was then able to complete the uninstall.

Thanks for the tip! I think all is well now, although I won't know for sure till I restart.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.