Computer Help forum

General discussion

WinDVD Creator - No Sound on Playback

by henry higgins / December 21, 2004 7:19 PM PST

I am trying to capture footage from an analogue VCR, to transfer it to DVD. I am routing composite video through a Winfast VC100 capture card with the sound going through a Soundblaster sound card. I am using Windows XP with plenty of processing power, memory and disk space.

Video and audio are both fine on the WinDVD Creator capture screen while I am recording, but there is no sound when I play it back.

I am pretty sure that it is not a hardware problem because:-

1 - I can use the software that came with the video capture card and that records and plays back sound and video just fine. (the trouble is that the video needs some adjustment, reducing hue and saturation, and this program has no facility for that)

2 - Windows Movie Maker also works OK with sound and video and I can adjust the video settings, but - I can't set the video quality as high as I can on WinDVD. These are 20 year old videos of my now grown up kids that I want to preserve indefinitely, so max quality is important to me.

The output from both of the above can be imported by WinDVD and will play back with sound and video, but that doesn't really help because the video quality is not good enough and can't be adjusted in WinDVD once you get past the video capture stage.

I've tried the official WinDVD support, but they refused to help because I got the software bundled with a new motherboard.

I hope somebody out there can help, before I spontaneously combust out of sheer frustration. Thanks & Merry Christmas

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WinDVD Creator - No Sound on Playback
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WinDVD Creator - No Sound on Playback
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No support here...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2004 8:50 PM PST

I don't use it so I can't tell you what setting might be off. Sometimes for support, you either pay the support line or buy the full version or... see if they have an online FAQ with such items. You've shown audio will capture, just not with your current WinDVD settings.

Such low cost methods of software do have this downside. No one to talk to.

What do I use? A Hauppauge PCI TV card and it's capture software.

Bob

Collapse -
RE:
by Art / December 22, 2004 4:18 PM PST

I don't have a solution but just a suggestion to try something. On your windvd creator, go to "tool" then "option" and on "output format", change the sound option there and see if that help (the option is either mp3 or lpcm). Good luck.

The only comment I have on video quality is..you have to have good quality in before you can get good quality out. Of course I have seen some program that claimed it can do video enhancing but I am abit doubtful as to how well they work though.

Collapse -
I am having the same Problem
by dusky--2008 / February 13, 2005 11:25 AM PST

I hope you have received some help or advice here, as I am having exactly the same problem. My software was also bundled...
I have messed about with this for 3 days, and still no luck..
If you have managed to resolve the problem please let me know...
Thanks
Dusky

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.