Internet Services Providers

Question

Windstream Pro or Con?

by MESTRETCH / January 18, 2012 10:57 PM PST

I recently gathered quotes for MPLS through several major carriers. Windstream came back substantially lower but I have heard some negative things about service quality, reliability, and support. Any input would be appreciated.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windstream Pro or Con?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windstream Pro or Con?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Any Updates
by tmajay / June 11, 2012 10:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Windstream Pro or Con?

We are looking @ Windstream to provide MPLS service between 2 sites. This link is critical to our business. What did your research/experience tell you?

Collapse -
network owner
by bill012 / June 12, 2012 10:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Any Updates

With 2 sites you may be better off with a point to point but you can never tell lately on price sometime its cheaper to buy fully managed MPLS that a real circuit.

The key issue with dealing with these smaller providers is they really don't own the vast majority of the network they run over.

For sure they don't control the local tail circuits coming into the building. Then they must run these tails back to a common location. They may or may but this service from a another provider. You may get ineffective network design if they do not have a lot of common points. For example say you wanted to go from chicago to dallas but the provider only had a pop in atlanta. All your traffic would go chicago-atlanta-dallas....even though the routers would insist they were directly connected.

You need to take this in consideration when looking at price. Still does not always justify the prices you get from ATT or Verizon. It all depends if the company you want to use has their own infrastructure where you need it most

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Just a comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 12, 2012 7:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Windstream Pro or Con?

This is a spinoff from Alltel. What that means is they have some great people to start with.

HOWEVER, I am encountering folk that need more than 99% connectivity and so far not one client has put that on their RFQ. I can only guess what problems folk need help with but when your laptop doesn't connect you see these small companies flying along with no IT staff and leaning hard on the ISP or provider.

Bad feelings and reviews are often the result.

Just last month I visited a client (I don't support or sell broadband) and they were very distracted by a few laptops that would not connect. Mine was fine and a quick look saw them with an expired antivirus. Yet they were blaming the ISP and the ISP's router.

Very strange,
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.