Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

windowsxp has lost administrator account

by erchalex / March 25, 2011 1:35 AM PDT

I am currently running xp home edition and have lost access to my adminitrator account. I tried to create another "adminitrator" account and it says this acount already exsists. However, it is not visible (accessible). HELP!!!!

ernie

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windowsxp has lost administrator account
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windowsxp has lost administrator account
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Was this your own account?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 25, 2011 7:00 AM PDT

If this was/is an Admin capable account you created yourself, then you will still have XP's hidden System Administrator account available via SAFE Mode.

What do you mean by lost access to? Any error messages?

Mark

Collapse -
account lost
by erchalex / March 25, 2011 11:48 AM PDT

Thanks for responding to my request for help. Yes, this is my account. It just disappeared.

Collapse -
Tell us more
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 25, 2011 10:44 PM PDT
In reply to: account lost

I'm still not sure what is happening.

When you turn on the computer and it goes through its normal self tests, it then begins to load Windows. Please tell us what happens, and any error messages.

Details are important as we can't see your computer, and we rely on what you tell us.

Mark

Collapse -
need help in getting my administrator account back
by erchalex / March 26, 2011 1:33 AM PDT

I have tried to retrieve my pictures and some files, but there are a lot I can not get back, so I would like to have my old account back. There are word files which are important, which I can seem to recapture. I do appreciate any ideas as to how to get the old account to come back.
thanks, ernie

Collapse -
Safe Mode?
by erchalex / March 26, 2011 1:40 AM PDT

Mark
I am not sure what is a "Safe Mode" and how to access it.

When booting up the system the administrtor would come up and I would clik on it, then my desk top would come on. However, the administrator was not there and a gust account was there.

thanks
ernie

Collapse -
administrator does not show up
by erchalex / March 26, 2011 1:51 AM PDT

Everything seem to boot up correctly, however when the administrator icon suppose to comes up I get a gust icon.
I have created a new administrator with hope that I can search for my files. I have retrieve some, but other information I must have I can not get, So my old administrator is needed.

Collapse -
Sorry, I'm afraid I still don't understand
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 26, 2011 6:13 AM PDT

You said you only had one Admin capable account, your own.

I don't understand what you mean by 'it's lost'.

You also said you can log in with a Guest account, but if that really is a Guest account you would be very limited in what you can do. You would not be able to find files for any other account and you would not be able to create a new Admin capable account from there.

So something is happening that I don't understand. I don't know how you were able to create a new Admin capable account from the Guest account.

Safe Mode. When you turn the computer on, start tapping the F8 key gently, once a second. You will then get a list of Safe Mode options. If you choose the top one, called "Safe Mode", you may be able to access the hidden "System Administrator" account.

Mark

Collapse -
Net Framework and the lost Administrator problem
by 1consigliere / February 17, 2013 6:30 PM PST

I wpld like to expose here a problems I just found on Windows XP Professional: I believe the problem would be the same for other Windows versions. Laptop was partitioned and formatted again for a new and clean installation. I did install Microsoft Windows XP Pro. Since I have an eeePC and that requires AHCI drivers I did realize the driver could not be installed unless I install Net Framework 3.0 so I went to download it and got it installed. After trying to enable the BIOS settings for the AHCI I realized that the computer would not boot any longer. Setting the BIOS back to IDE choice I was able to boot again but the configurations of my User Account was not the same. There was two accounts showing on the welcome screen (One Administrator and one as limited account) but in the control panel it would show only one account that was an administrator account being turned into a limited account on its own. On the welcome screen the administrator account was shifted with the limited account in the sense that one took the place of the other one. The one I have called "Internet" was shifted with the one called "Installer" and the one for the internet that was setup as limited account was showing as being an administrator's account. This problem must be related to the Net framework because the only software installed at this point that does not belong to MS windows was Adobe Reader, Flasplayer and Mozilla firefox. I did make sure that each one of these downloads where taken from the official web site. In fact I do pay attention not to click on links that do not show the official web site address.

Collapse -
Why not use the Asus recovery discs?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 17, 2013 6:40 PM PST

Or whatever the Asus recommended recovery is?

By the way, I've never seen a driver install that needed .Net. So I have to believe you that it really is necessary.

Kees

Collapse -
i perfectelly understand what's wrong
by margouza / December 23, 2013 8:01 AM PST

go straight through these steps:

1 download and install tweakUI for windows

2 run it from here start > programs > Powertoys for Windows XP > tweakUI for windows.

3 on the right side lookup till you find 'logon' option and click it

4 check "show administrator on welcom screen" and uncheck other user

5 click OK and CLOSE tweak program

6 go to start > log out> change user > adminidtrator

7 finally thank GOD

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.