Windows 7 forum

Question

Windows7 - Live Mail - Lost Emails

by babrees / May 5, 2011 11:30 PM PDT

Hi. Just started using WindowsLive on my new computer which has windows7. Always used outlook express previously - much better program!!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows7 - Live Mail - Lost Emails
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows7 - Live Mail - Lost Emails
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
On the VIEW tab under Filter Messages
by peacox / May 6, 2011 5:13 AM PDT

have you got Show all Messages selected

Collapse -
Answer
look for the save folder in windows live
by lakephillip / May 6, 2011 12:04 PM PDT

I assume you have run a search of your hdd using the extension, .eml? Still didn't find it? Assuming so, Navigate to Store Folder(Located Main Edit Menu>Options>Mail>Advanced Tab>Maitnence Troubleshooting, then it is this location: C:\Users\(YOUR account name)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail.

Outlook Express used .DBX files.....Live Uses .eml extension. It is unlikely that your emails are spontaneously being deleted unless you configured your edit menu, to do so.
If all of this is not working I would save and export your saved emails and put it on your backup media. Uninstall Windows Live Mail and after re-booting re-install. Windows Live 2009 is a better program then the 2011 version. Both closley resemble Outlook Express.
PS, Ditto checking the filter

Collapse -
in my storage folders just not showing
by babrees / May 6, 2011 3:55 PM PDT

@peacock - yes, show all messages is selected

Collapse -
Searching for .eml files
by lakephillip / May 6, 2011 11:54 PM PDT

The file extension for Windows Live Mail is .eml......Searching for that file extension is just another way to prove to yourself that the emails are on your computer. No, your emails are on your hard drive, not online. You don't really have to be signed in to Windows Live to use Windows Live Mail.

Collapse -
online files
by babrees / May 8, 2011 2:31 PM PDT

Thanks lakephillip - yes, the files are on my computer, however, all your emails are ALSO stored ONLINE. You can't actually search your hard drive for a specific email (filename.eml) as you don't know what the email file is called Happy

Collapse -
If you have recently started to use Live Mail
by peacox / May 8, 2011 8:41 AM PDT

I assume you will have Imported your mail from your previous system.
When you import into Live Mail you finish up with 2 sets of mail folders, one set under the Live account name will contain all mail received on the new system and another set under the heading something like Imported Folders which will contain all the mail folders from the old system.
It is very easy and very common to confuse these two sets of folders.so you could be looking in the wrong sent items folder and not finding a message that you have sent.
Scroll up and down the folder list in the left hand column and check that the Imported folders is expanded ie the little triangle to the left of the heading is pointing downwards

Collapse -
Previous Windows XP, then Vista, then Win7x64
by lakephillip / May 8, 2011 11:25 AM PDT

Started Out like most, using Windows XP, and Outlook Express. Then upgraded to Windows Vista and used Windows Live Mail. After upgrading to Windows 7 x64 I started using Windows Live Mail, at the time there was no Windows Live 2011, so I upgraded to that and that is where I am. I prefer Windows Live Mail 2009, but too much hassle for me to revert since I have around 5000 saved emails. You must uninstall the 2011 version first completely, and then install this version again
Here Is the link for the Windows Live Mail 2009 Installer:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/E-mail/E-mail-Clients/Windows-Live-Mail.shtml

Collapse -
Didn't import
by babrees / May 8, 2011 2:39 PM PDT

Hi Peacox. Yes, I did import, however, it is not the imported emails that are missing. I have retained those in a separate folder marked import, and those are all present and correct. It is just the occasional email that I have received or written since using Live Mail.

Collapse -
Given up
by babrees / May 8, 2011 2:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Didn't import

OK, as suggested I tried LiveMail 9. Yep - the missing emails showed in that version!!! However, V9 drove me more nuts than V.11!!! I couldn't even find where to manually fetch my emails!!! jeez you wouldn't think I have been working on computers for over 30 years!!!!!

Collapse -
Sorry to hear you have given up
by peacox / May 8, 2011 8:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Given up

My last suggestion is now too late, I was going to ask if you had 'Conversations' turned on or off.
If on then emails with the same subject title are grouped together with only the first one showing and with an expansion arrow next to the envelope icon so the Conversation can be expanded to show the hidden messages. This gives the appearance of second and subsequent messages on the same subject being missing.

Collapse -
Thanks
by babrees / May 8, 2011 10:14 PM PDT

Thanks Peacox. Conversations were turned on, BUT in the folder that I was watching there were only 5 emails. Well, there SHOULD be 5 - only 4 display <G>

Collapse -
If conversations were turned on
by peacox / May 9, 2011 8:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

AND the missing email had the same subject as an earlier email then it would be hidden behind it and not displayed until the conversation were expanded. I think this facility also exists in Outlook along with a lot of other ways to cause frustration.

Anyway good luck with Outlook

Collapse -
Given up
by bcdejan / October 15, 2011 3:29 AM PDT

You stated you found a version of Outlook that works w/Windows 7?? Where &how could I get it. I like Outlook much better than Windows Live. Thanks

Collapse -
Re: Outlook
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 15, 2011 4:06 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
Windows 7 Mail disappearing - finally resolved for me thanks
by reddy2004 / July 4, 2012 6:52 PM PDT

I've been having problems where messages have been disappearing on Windows Live Mail. Some items not showing in the mail folder but do show in the unread folder. Once we read it in unread folder it would disappear never to be seen again on the Live mail. Sent items also seemed to vanish but only occasionally but I couldn't see the pattern. On following the below thread I picked up the conversations reference since typically we were losing replies to mails and he fantastic news is that I have now resolved my problem
Go to
Options
Select the Read tab
and select Automatically expand grouped messages
Hey presto my messages suddenly appeared

Everything was always visible in webmail when logged on separately so I should have guess that it was settings but just which one!. Hopefully you found this useful

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.