Windows 7 forum

Question

Windows7 64bit printer settings

by JJ / July 6, 2011 12:09 PM PDT

I am running Windows7 64 bit which runs excellent, solid like a rock. The problem I have is it horrible when it comes to getting a printer to work. I have a KODAK ESP5250 all in one printer. I can print test pages fine but when I try to print from IE, Google Chrome, and note pad I get no response. When I click on printer properties location is blank.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows7 64bit printer settings
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows7 64bit printer settings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
We've Decided To Use ONLY Those Printers Which Specify...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 6, 2011 1:45 PM PDT

...64 bit drivers are available when being used on 64 bit computers.. Even then, updated drivers are frequently re-released for the 64 bit versions.. Although some printers "say" they'll install on all Windows 7 machines, unless they are specific about having 64 bit drivers, we move on.. For example, a quick check of the Kodak site brings up the software download link below.. (Note in the lower part of the screen it says: Windows XP 64 bit is not supported.. That leaves me to doubt how well Windows 7 64 bit will be supported as well.)

http://support.en.kodak.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36460/selected/true

New machines are usually in order for Windows 7 anyway.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks
by JJ / July 7, 2011 12:24 PM PDT

I have the latest drivers and when I check in the device manger it says it is OK. The driver must be good since I can print a test page. I have also found out my cousin has Windows7 64 bit and has the same problem as I do. When I have time I will call Microsoft and KODAK.

Collapse -
RE: Kodak ESP 5250 AiO
by Liriks / July 10, 2011 10:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

Toshiba Satellite L655
Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1
Intel Pentium P6100 2 GHz
3 GB RAM

Kodak ESP 5250 AIO Wireless/USB Printer

I am baffled at this myself. I have two computers running Windows 7 Home Premium. I have a Gateway and a Toshiba Satellite. I originally bought the 3250, which is the same as the 5250, except that it's not wireless. The Gateway installed the printer perfectly and it was able to do everything. Unfortunately, that's not the computer that needs to use it. The Toshiba is my graphics computer.

I felt great about it working so well and printing great pictures and I couldn't wait to see what it would look like coming from this one. The problem? It won't install the print driver. It installs everything else except for the print driver. Failed every time. So I uninstalled and reinstalled a few thousand times. It simply would not detect the printer
So I figured I would take one last stab and I went out and bought the 5250. Same scenario: the Gateway had no problems whatsoever but my Toshiba absolutely cannot detect it. I was able keep it connected to the Gateway and share the printer over the network and that was fine and dandy until the Gateway broke. It needs major repairs and I just can't afford it right now, nor can I afford another printer. I am extremely happy with the print quality of the printer and I really don't want to replace it with something that I feel has less quality and costs more. My nose is just above the water and I really need this printer to work or I may face going out of business.

I have contacted Kodak's online chat support and they have walked me through everything. I was in that chat room for nearly two hours and they couldn't resolve anything, but I do have a feeling that the person I was talking to wasn't completely sure about what she was telling me. There were some times that she told me to click or choose something that just wasn't there, and on several occasions she directed me to click something and then the next step she would tell me to take wasn't even an option. If I told her that wasn't an option she would just tell me to click Next.

Surely there must be somebody who has encountered this problem and resolved it...

Collapse -
Last time?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 11, 2011 1:51 AM PDT
In reply to: RE: Kodak ESP 5250 AiO

It turned out to be the security software installed blocking the software.

HP has a note somewhere about that but I've learned to just uninstall the firewall, turn off the windows firewall and other antivirus during setup. Some owners can't bring themselves to do that which is when you send them away while you do the deed.

Hope this helps,
Bob

Collapse -
Fixed the problem.
by JJ / July 11, 2011 3:48 AM PDT

There is a problem with Windows 7. KODAK support was finally able to fix the problem. This is how. Select Start > Run.
Type regedit, then click OK.IMPORTANT:
Deleting the wrong files from the registry can have serious results in
how the computer operates. Do the following when editing the registry:

Back up the WINDOWS Registry file. For more information, see Saving a Backup Copy of the Registry File - WINDOWS OS.
Proceed with extreme caution and be certain of any changes you make to the registry.
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Policies > Microsoft > Windows NT > Printers.
Right-click the Printers folder, then select Delete to remove it.
Restart the computer.

Collapse -
Toshiba 64-bit & Printers
by aearndt / January 3, 2013 5:54 AM PST

Toshiba Satellite L655
Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1
Intel Pentium P6100 2 GHz
3 GB RAM
64-bit

HP OfficePro 8000

Did you ever get a response? My aunt and uncle are having the same issue. I have uninstalled and reinstalled their printer too many times to count. HP even sent another printer to us to reinstall -- no help.

Is there any way to get it to recognize it? Do I need to try the Regedit below or should they get another printer? If so, any suggestions as to what printer might work with it?

Collapse -
It's been over a year but after encountering similar.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2013 6:03 AM PST

It was interesting to finally encounter similar to the above so I'll share what it was. It was the owner's choice that caused the issues. They were a bit paranoid and installed an antivirus suite and answered the questions for MAXIMUM SECURITY. It's possible they even went in and increased all the settings to the highest possible security.

Email and the web didn't work in their case but they could not print. In the long run they needed time to soften up to allow a normal install and to click OK to allow changes for the drivers to install. They kept disallowing the changes. Very odd but I understand why folk do that.
Bob

Collapse -
Thank you ...
by aearndt / January 3, 2013 7:30 AM PST

... for the info. I'll go in and check on their security settings. Appreciate the reply!

Angie

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.