Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

windows xp working very slow

by mhdasghar123 / March 6, 2009 5:18 PM PST

Dear friends,

I m using win xp professional with broadband cable modem.during boot from normal user windows working extremely slow/very slow internet and during log on with normal user cable modem send and recive lights blinking/on off not continusely sometime every 2 to 3 second.Normaly with not should be blinking.

When i boot from troubleshooting advance option F8 (safe mode with networking)loging with administrator my internet working very fast/good spead.

I not install any type of software.is this virus ?

i will appreciate anybody give me some time or solve my problem.

thanks in advance
mhd

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows xp working very slow
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows xp working very slow
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That network icon send/receive may be normal.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 6, 2009 7:58 PM PST

Your broadband ISP, (Internet Service Provider), will continuously send data to the computer to confirm it is active.

However, you say nothing about the protection software you use. Do you have;

1] A firewall? This is needed to prevent unauthorised access to your computer by hackers, and also prevent unauthorised software that is installed on the computer, (whether officially or by hackers/virus/spyware), from connecting to the internet.

2] An anti-virus scanner? You need an anti-virus scanner, always updated with the latest virus definitions, to scan data as it comes in to the computer, for viruses. It should also everyday on a 'full scan' of the computer, and to scan individual files you personally download from the internet, or copy across from other media, such as CDs/DVDs, flash/USB drives, etc.

3] Any anti-spyware utilities? You need 2 or 3 anti-spyware scanners, all kept up to date, and one of which is always running in the background. Use them all to perform manual scans once a week or so.

Malware, (the collective name for all the above), is the greatest single cause for a slow computer and a slow internet connection, and the clue in your post is that your connection works much better in Safe Mode (with networking). That is because most malware cannot load itself in Safe Mode.

Mark

Collapse -
Same thing happened to me...
by CasyL / March 7, 2009 8:38 AM PST
Collapse -
Note*
by CasyL / March 7, 2009 8:51 AM PST

If you try to install Mbam and it does not install, then you have Viruses, Trojans, or whatever, and you then need to see the virus, and spyware section of cnets forums. There you will see many topics with reply's on how to install Mbam, and get it updated, so you can run the scan.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.