Smart Home & Appliances forum

General discussion

Windows XP won't start after windows update

by pkennedy / February 6, 2009 10:20 AM PST

running 6yr old Gateway Desktop Media Center Edition (Windows XP Professional)SP2... 2 gb RAM.. two 160gb hard drives..as a backup have all data and many pics backed up on external 320gb hard drive..this is used as Main PC in 3 PC Home Network..

notified of Windows Update this morning..high priority.. believe it said FS Card 170kb or close to that .. d/l and installed

short while later I attempted to reboot.. Windows would NOT start.. black text screen appeared.. with 5 options for restarts... including 3 Safe Mode ones... none would work... all reverted back to same black text screen... tried and retried many many times.. no good...

only thing that is working is the DSL modem and the router that are hooked up to the Gateway PC so I am able to get online thru this laptop...

can I use my original Gateway Windows XP disk to restart windows.. I have not so far .. thought it might affect the DSL and router shutting them down.. but not sure.. don't want to lose access to online.. do I have to access the BIOS option window then use the start with CD

if anyone has any info would appreciate any advice on best course of action to restart Windows..

thanx

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP won't start after windows update
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP won't start after windows update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
mistakenly posted this topic in this Forum
by pkennedy / February 6, 2009 10:26 AM PST

sorry 'bout that

Collapse -
XP won't start after update
by friuliveneo / February 8, 2009 11:11 AM PST

I have the same problem. XP 64 updated at 8:00 in the morning on the 7th and all I've had since then is a black screen. If you get any help please let me know.

Collapse -
XP black screen
by pkennedy / February 8, 2009 11:27 AM PST
Collapse -
Last known good configuration
by zak244 / February 9, 2009 6:40 AM PST

Is the above available in the choices on your black screen? It may work if it is.

Collapse -
Last Known Configuration
by pkennedy / February 9, 2009 7:23 AM PST

it sure is.. but.. NONE of the options are working... when I hit on any of the 5 options on that SAFE MODE screen... it starts to go thru the sequence.. stops at the initial Windows screen then it all reverts back to that black Safe Mode screen.. nevre gets past the Windows logo which I believe should then be the start of Windows loading...

someone mentioned to me today that if I'm not able to start it in Safe Mode there's a good chance I may have a damaged hard drive.. thinking back over the last couple of months every time I download a program or install one from a CD.. I hear a very loud clicking noise from the hard drive.. more so than the usual hard drive noise.. more of a loud stuttering clicking sound.. that continues after the install is finished...

Collapse -
Repair
by zak244 / February 9, 2009 10:32 PM PST

It may be the hard drive, but I'd try a repair first. Since you have the XP CD, you can boot from that, and attempt to repair. When you turn the computer on, enter the setup and make sure the first boot device is the CD or DVD. Reboot the computer with the windows XP disk in the CD, and select to repair the windows installation. If it asks for an administrator password, just hit enter.

Collapse -
update
by pkennedy / April 3, 2009 2:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Repair
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.