Computer Help

General discussion

Windows XP won't load. F1(setup)workd but not F10(recovery)

by BlueRidgeRider / August 22, 2008 1:30 PM PDT

I go to start my desktop and the boot page comes up and then it goes to a blank screen with a "_" blinking in the top left hand corner and thats all... I can get to setup using F1 but F10 won't go to recovery...

What's up here?

Thanks for the time

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP won't load. F1(setup)workd but not F10(recovery)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP won't load. F1(setup)workd but not F10(recovery)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No make or model.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 22, 2008 11:36 PM PDT

Not all machines use F10 after some time. Most of the time I find the owner or other software (spyware, etc) has damaged the recovery partition. When this happens you have to use the recovery CDs.

Collapse -
RE:...has damaged the recovery
by caktus / August 23, 2008 2:37 AM PDT
In reply to: No make or model.

MY emachines OEM XP has RECGUARD in startup to prevent change to the Restoation Console. I wonder if all or only HP XP's have something like this. I have read somewhere that still some forms of virus can bypass or disable this. But as far as I know my console is still clean as a whistle (well, a clean whistle that is.)

Collapse -
"recguard.exe is a process from HP that prevents a user from
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2008 2:40 AM PDT

"recguard.exe is a process from HP that prevents a user from deleting or corrupting the WinXP Recovery Partition on Hewlett Packard computers"

Let me share it's not enough. There is an USB stick virus that has wiped out a few too many recovery partitions so don't count on this.
Bob

Collapse -
(NT) My XP Resoratopn is F11
by caktus / August 23, 2008 2:28 AM PDT
Collapse -
Small world!!! Just encountered one like that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2008 2:37 AM PDT

I tracked it down to some USB DVDRW drive that was plugged in. We unplugged all things USB and now it works fine.
Bob

Collapse -
Sorry, I should have told Make and Model
by BlueRidgeRider / August 23, 2008 2:48 AM PDT

Sorry, I should have said make and model

It's a Compaq Presario 6000

Thanks for the help!

Collapse -
That's a SERIES.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2008 3:20 AM PDT

For example I just fixed a dv6910us today. Shared above.

Collapse -
Oh, I see
by BlueRidgeRider / August 24, 2008 2:07 AM PDT
In reply to: That's a SERIES.

Thanks, learning new things everyday!

How do I find the model number?

Collapse -
For the HP, Compaq, Acer, IBM and more...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 24, 2008 2:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Oh, I see

I read the sticker on the machine or on the box the machine came in.

Collapse -
Found the sticker!
by BlueRidgeRider / August 24, 2008 4:48 AM PDT

The only other number is the S/N, need that too?

Presario 6000T

P86543

Collapse -
For example.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 24, 2008 5:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Found the sticker!
Collapse -
Must have over looked that post, sorry.
by BlueRidgeRider / August 24, 2008 9:11 AM PDT
In reply to: For example.

I unplugged every USB but nothing changed.

Collapse -
OK, we've tried the old remove the USB things trick.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 24, 2008 9:17 AM PDT

Did anyone add ram to this machine? I found an issue with bad boots on some machines with exactly 2x2GB or 4GB total RAM. I reread the entire post but I can't tell if this applies because the dv6000t had many options. To fix this I pull one stick of ram.

Next up is we slide in the Disk 1 of the recovery DVD or CD set and let it boot from that.
Bob

Collapse -
No ram was added
by BlueRidgeRider / August 26, 2008 1:35 AM PDT

No sir, no RAM was added.

I don't know if it makes a difference but you are referring to a HP notebook. This problem is on a Compaq desktop.

Do I need to go to setup and change something to make it start from the CD drive?

I put disc one in there and it still does the same thing

Thanks for your help!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.