Computer Newbies forum

Resolved Question

Windows XP? When is MS going to stop supporting this OEM?

by rogerpaul / May 3, 2012 11:32 PM PDT

I have a lap top that has XP on it and am confused regarding the news that Microsoft will no longer support this Windows system. Does anyone know the date and what will happen when this happens?
Also, I have been getting lots of lots of offers to upgrade to Windows 7. If I do purchase this upgrade, how can I be sure Microsoft will support it?
I had a problem in the past when I upgraded my desk from XP to Vista. Microsoft said they couldn't support that when I ran into some issues and called them.
I would appreciate any and all information regarding this subject. Thank you.

rogerpaul has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP? When is MS going to stop supporting this OEM?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP? When is MS going to stop supporting this OEM?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by rogerpaul

Collapse -
XP Support
by baybreeze / May 5, 2012 8:33 AM PDT

Microsoft will stop supporting Windows XP SP3 on April 8, 2014. However, what they mean by support is no more security updates, no free or paid support options, and no more online technical updates. There also may be hardware and software companies that make products that run on Windows, that will no longer provide support for this version either.

You can still use it on your PC, however with no security updates and patches, you run a much higher risk of security problems on your PC. You will be at higher risk for attaches, viruses, etc. You might have a company that makes keyboards, for example, and when you buy a new one, that keyboard might not be compatible with Windows XP, or some software program might not be able to run on Windows XP. So it may become harder to find programs and hardware that are compatible.

If you do decide to go with Windows 7, make sure you go to Microsoft's website to their "Upgrade Advisor". It will check your PC to see if it can be upgraded to Win 7 or not. Also, I believe the upgrade would actually be a clean install...you would be basically starting over from scratch installing the newer OS. It will not preserve any info you have on your PC. Make sure you print out and read all the instructions beforehand, and make backups of everything you want to put back on your PC.

Collapse -
Answer
My question is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 4, 2012 1:34 AM PDT

"What support did you need?"

I've seen folk ask this question but only one of them called in for support. If the system is working, you can ignore this and keep using it till it stops working. And MSFT never offered support for the OEM to us. We would have to call the laptop maker or just reload the OS.

There are a lot of other support systems and folk out there (like this forum.)
Bob

Collapse -
Support
by Hforman / July 20, 2012 12:54 PM PDT
In reply to: My question is

As someone mentioned, good luck with needed patches. Those won't be available for XP at some point. It's so hard these days finding patches for Windows NT and 98 SE!

Some, might not care about the patches, but newer products will eventually stop running on XP. No driver support. It's like trying to find anything for an older machine now running early Windows versions. If the computer is working now.. well, 2014 is going to have a lot of newer stuff that probably will make his PC obsolete by then anyway. I agree with you, though. I'd just keep going for now and lets see what happens after Win 8 is out.

Collapse -
Answer
Another Two Cents
by Hforman / July 20, 2012 12:48 PM PDT

I agree fully with the other two answers, but let me post just a few thoughts, if I may. The world is going to end on December 21, 2012 and Microsoft will stop supporting XP in 2014. So, why worry about it? Heh! A lot of people run right out and buy something new as soon as it comes out. It doesn't matter if they are Apple fanbois or Windows. If you are a geek, having the latest and greatest is very important to some. However, there are things to consider. First of all, unless Windows 7 comes on a new PC you technically have to purchase it. Would it be easier just to upgrade your whole system? Maybe. It is something to consider.

The part that bothers me most, is you mentioned upgrading XP to Windows 7. Technically, there is no such thing. There really is no "upgrade" from XP to win7. You have to wipe your entire hard disk and start from scratch. You can't just pop in the CD and answer messages and then you are upgraded. It's a wipe-and-reload deal. Now there are some software utilities to help out in this situation but the bottm line is you are still wiping off your computer so make sure you know what data you are going to keep.

The next issue will be drivers. A lot of proprietary hardware drivers won't 'upgrade' to Windows 7. So, as long as you are going to wipe the drive, you might want to make sure that you have all of the hardware drivers in order and ready to go.

I think that the most important thing to consider is to look at your PC for a little windows sticker. If the sticker says something like "Compatible with Windows 3.0" (OK, MAYBE it will say compatible with XP, or windows 2000 then, technically, your computer may or may not work so well with Windows 7. There are tests you can run on the Microsoft website to see if your computer is compatible and with what "flavor" of Win7. I strongly suggest you run it just to make sure your expectations will be met. In many cases, Windows 7 will run fine. You will also have to decide on whether or not you want Windows 32-bit or 64-bit. Again, you will need to check hardware (driver) compatibility with 64-bit. This should help you break out beyond the 4 GB barrier if you want more memory.

Personally? I think I'd like to see the dust settle a bit with the Windows 8 upcoming release and then find out what I can do if I really don't like the metro interface. I know I don't want to use a touch-screen unless I'm dealing with a laptop. I have a few months to decide on all that and I'll probably just buy a new PC anyway.

Good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.