Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Windows Legacy OS

Question

Windows XP - user 2 programs running

by gr8house / February 7, 2013 1:54 AM PST

How do you stop the screen that says user 2 programs running from coming on?? I am running media player 11 and want it to run continuously however this annoying screen always comes on. I've removed java from the computer (don't need it) and changed the startup with MSCONFIG. Nothing works, I'm ready to toss the computer. I need the media player to run without interruption! HELP!!!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP - user 2 programs running
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP - user 2 programs running
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Tough to do.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 7, 2013 3:48 AM PST

You also have a lot of other things to shut down such as any updates since many of those will almost every week update and maybe call for a reboot which can cause that screen.

Why not try a boot of say Ubuntu and VLC Player if you must do this. It's a little more under your control.

Bob

Collapse -
XP 2 user programs running
by gr8house / February 14, 2013 2:20 AM PST
In reply to: Tough to do.

I don't like vlc, it has its own issues. I am running media player 11 with xp home or pro os systems on all of the other computers on my digital medai network. This is the only one giving me this problem. Updates are all turned off, screen saver and power save are all off, I have log me in running in the background b/c I access this location from my office. I don;t understand why after running continuosly for several days it decides to default to the main screen with the administrator icon sayin "User 2 programs running". it's telling me running 2 programs can slow down your computer, close any unused programs etc...

It's the blue windows xp screen saying To begin click your user name

It does not happen on shut down, only when running the WMP normally.

Thanks!

Collapse -
the blue windows xp screen saying To begin click your user
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 14, 2013 2:32 AM PST

That's the logon screen and the message is by design, supposed to happen.

Can you consider using an autologon?
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Re: screen
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 8, 2013 11:24 PM PST

What screen is the screen that says "user 2 programs running"? Never seen it.
And when does it pop up?

Kees

Collapse -
Seen that on log in screens.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 9, 2013 12:38 AM PST
In reply to: Re: screen

Or on shutdown. Not on WMP.

Collapse -
Not on shutdown
by gr8house / February 14, 2013 2:27 AM PST

It happens only when running WMP

Collapse -
WMP
by gr8house / February 14, 2013 2:21 AM PST
In reply to: Re: screen

Happens only when running WMP, it's the default screen - To begin click your user name.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.