Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

Windows XP - Turn PC / Laptop to Wireless Router

by GreenXSI / September 11, 2012 2:23 AM PDT

How can I turn my laptop or desktop running Windows XP into a wireless router so that I can connect my wifi enabled devices to it and use internet?

Please let me know of all programs that can help.

Thank You.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP - Turn PC / Laptop to Wireless Router
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP - Turn PC / Laptop to Wireless Router
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
There are articles about using ICS
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2012 2:38 AM PDT

But it's far too finicky so I never do more than mention it. If you had Windows 7, then you have VIRTUAL ROUTER.

This is not a new question but the same answers apply. Nothing has changed to make this work well (that is, ICS.)
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
With Windows XP ...
by Edward ODaniel / September 11, 2012 6:30 AM PDT

you can still have Virtual Router but these all depend on ICS and require the connected computer being used to remain on.
http://downloads.phpnuke.org/en/download-item-view-y-y-m-a-l-v/VIRTUAL%2BWIFI%2BROUTER.htm
or
http://gofree.com/download/Windows-Software/Utilities/Wi-FiHotSpotCreator.php?gclid=CPe-ksOtrrICFeg-Mgodq1QAXQ

It is really much simpler and cheaper in the long run (considering the amount of electricity the computer uses as opposed to what a router uses) to simply get and use a cheap wireless router. These start at $12.99 and go up depending on brand and features
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100010072&IsNodeId=1&Description=wirwless%20router&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

Collapse -
Nice find.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2012 6:37 AM PDT
In reply to: With Windows XP ...
http://virtualrouter.codeplex.com/ is the one I've seen working without too much hair loss.

XP is just getting too long in the tooth for me. That is, I'm getting a little short with it's issues.
Bob
Collapse -
Windows XP - Turn PC / Laptop to Wireless Router
by GreenXSI / September 13, 2012 6:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Nice find.

Well, I have tried the programs above and they don't help. Also, MyRouter from codeplex doesn't support all network cards. Has anyone tried the other programs? If yes, please could you detail me on the important steps? Quite new to try this.

I just want my laptop to act as a wireless hotspot and use its internet (connected by wireless) on my wireless enabled mobile phone. Keeping the laptop on forever or expense of electricity is not an issue at all.

Collapse -
That's news to me
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 13, 2012 11:22 PM PDT

I've yet to find any limitation on the cards as you noted. I didn't try the other program because I only have a few XP machines to use now. And those are at the office locked up for projects.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.