Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows XP: The future

by jonflatmo / October 30, 2008 3:10 AM PDT

Windows XP: The future

When Microsoft stop support Windows XP I have some ideas what they can do:

Make a final Service Pack called: Service Pack 4(SP4)

Service Pack 4:
- Full updated
- Activation removed
- Royale / Royale Noir / Zune themes?s added and all the ?ugly? themes like luna removed.
- Startup/logon/logoff/restart sounds removed.
- Remove applications like messenger, paint, moviemaker, internet explorer and more. ( because we don?t use them)
- Windows XP logo changed to Vista logo or update the xp logo.
- Remove Security Center.
- Many people use mouse_fix.reg to remove the mouse ?delay? why not fix this to default?
- Remove the windows xp startup screen.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP: The future
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP: The future
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 30, 2008 6:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows XP: The future

Why would they do all that?

Especially, "Remove Security Center". That would be a great way to generate a few million more zombie computers out there.

Collapse -
WinDoze Security Center = Come seppuku with me
by yarlq / October 31, 2008 6:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Why?

Windows 'security' is joke.
There are only a few dozen or several hundred better safeguards out there.
The worst part is that, once you install a real security firewall, MS's 'Burn, baby, burn' firewall won't stay off - it continually turns itself back on to interfere with far better solutions.
THAT'S why those of us who cherish our computers hate the misnamed 'Windows Security Center' and want it out by the roots before it screws up a better program, thereby letting in a vicious bad guy.
If it weren't for Comodo, Kaspersky -- even zone alarm -- there would already be 'a few million more zombie computers out there'.

Windows: 30 years old and still going wrong.

Collapse -
Strange, I never had a problem.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 31, 2008 9:20 PM PDT

It's true that I switched from XP's own firewall to my own 3rd party choice, but I never had the problem you state you have experienced. XP's firewall has never turned itself back on.

I chose my own, (ZoneAlarm), because I was used to it and had used it on my previous Windows system, but in fact, those people who decided to look deeper into the Windows Firewall, and learn how to configure it for their own needs, have found it an effective and useful tool against hackers attempting to intrude into the OS.

But then, some people just want a system that they don't have to 'do anything' to help protect it, and just press buttons and keys. They are the ones most likely to come unstuck.

Windows, 30 years and still going wrong? I'm not sure about the 30 years, (Bill Gates started off in the late 70's or early 80's with a DOS version. Windows came much later), but I doubt you can say it is going wrong. It is in every country in the world, has sold countless millions of Operating Systems, and has enabled many many millions of ordinary people like you and me to talk to each other over the internet.

That pretty much sounds like a success story to me.

Collapse -
reply to: Strange, I never had a problem.
by caktus / November 2, 2008 9:52 AM PST

The only time I find the Windows Firewall has been turned on is following a complete reinstall of the OS. I too prefer ZA, but at least XP (for all the bad PR Windows gets) gives us the tools to get started.

Collapse -
It's easy to ...
by Kees Bakker / October 30, 2008 6:24 AM PDT

- silence the sounds you mention (via Control Panel)
- suppress the startup screen (via boot.ini) or replace it by one you like more
- remove themes you don't use (if you need the disk space)
- remove applications like paint (just delete the .exe)

No need for these things in a service pack.

Collapse -
by jonflatmo / October 30, 2008 8:23 AM PDT
In reply to: It's easy to ...

to do this as a default, so i dont need to do this manualty...

and one more thing:

make windows xp look more like vista so the thoes who love xp not need to upgrade to vista!

norwegian with bad english Sad

Collapse -
A service pack will never ...
by Kees Bakker / October 30, 2008 8:43 AM PDT
In reply to: sp4

change settings or delete programs. You wouldn't really like that, would you? Everybody has his own preferences and installing patches respect those.

Collapse -
RE: so i dont need to do this manualty...
by caktus / October 31, 2008 2:44 AM PDT
In reply to: sp4

Is the Human race really becoming that lazy?

Collapse -
by Jimmy Greystone / October 31, 2008 3:23 AM PDT

Becoming? Try already is. At least for highly developed nations.

Collapse -
by jonflatmo / October 31, 2008 8:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Becoming?

Collapse -
by jbaviera / October 31, 2008 2:24 PM PDT

Make SP4 w/full updates --- Yes
Activation removed --- I'd like to see that happen NOW!
Themes --- Doesn't matter
I can agree with removing IE and messenger, but not so much the others.

I'd like to see the File Manager from Win3.1 brought back to life! (I can't stand to see "Windows Explorer" looking like Idiot Exploiter).

Collapse -
about deleting IE.
by mickzdaman / October 31, 2008 10:43 PM PDT
In reply to: SP4

i dissagree with your comment to delete IE, I find it suits my need perfectly, and im sure it does for many others around the world. I hear on the grapevine that because of a great many rewrites, IE may be comming back in a big way. Its only on the grapevine but thats what i hear. I welcome any comments on this as the subject interests me.

Collapse -
I doubt it
by Jimmy Greystone / November 1, 2008 1:14 AM PDT
In reply to: about deleting IE.

I doubt it. IE8 is in early beta stages, but the rather slow development cycle is going to see browsers like Firefox running circles around it. At the rate things are going, Firefox will have had 2 releases in the time that IE8 has been in development, and Firefox will already have all the worthwhile features of IE8 but without all the security risks associated with it.

Microsoft lost their chance when they left IE6 to rot after suffocating Netscape. IE7 was far too little far too late, and IE8 will be the same.

Though on a positive note, Microsoft does seem to be making a real effort to fix the horribly horribly broken rendering engine in IE starting with IE7. Bringing it more in lines with international standards instead of trying to segment the web up into sites that work with IE and sites that don't. For that they should be commended, and simultaneously admonished for attempting to fragment the market like that in the first place.

Anyway, long story short... IE has already lost the "new browser war", it's just going to take a while for it's empire to fully implode. One could reasonably argue that the Roman Empire reached its peak under Agustus, but it would take several hundred years for the empire to fully collapse leading to the dark ages in Europe. IE is no different. It has already lost, and we're in the early stages of its slow, but inevitable, demise.

Collapse -
by mickzdaman / November 1, 2008 6:05 AM PDT
In reply to: I doubt it

i agree firefox are ahead at the moment, but i believe that IE microsoft are just taking their time to perfect IE 8, because of the landslide flop of 6.

Collapse -
RE: flop of 6.
by caktus / November 1, 2008 9:23 AM PDT
In reply to: ie

I think it's the best version they've come out with. Personally, I think it out performes IE 7 minus the tabbing feature. 6 would still be my browser of choice over FF, Opera, Maxthon and others if I hadn't come across K-Mekeon which out performs anything I've evern used on dialup.

Collapse -
You do realize
by Jimmy Greystone / November 1, 2008 9:43 AM PDT
In reply to: RE: flop of 6.

You do realize of course that K-Mellon is just another Gecko based browser, same as Firefox, Seamonkey, and Flock.

You should also give some of the Firefox 3.1 nightlies a try. Just on a whim I gave it a try, and page rendering is noticeably faster than Firefox 3.0.3. Plus it has the new JavaScript engine which is supposed to be up to 400% faster. I'm sure it won't come close to that for your everyday tasks, but even if it's 1.5-2X faster, that's a worthwhile enhancement IMO.

Collapse -
reply to: You do realize
by caktus / November 1, 2008 11:05 PM PDT
In reply to: You do realize

Yes. I know it's built on the Gecko engine. Been reading some pro's and con's betwwen KM1.5.1, FF3.1 and Opera 9.6. I'll give the last two a try and see if they work out for me.

Collapse -
reply to: You do realize
by caktus / November 2, 2008 9:18 AM PST

Been using the FF3.1b today with default settings. While certainly faster when loading 'some' light pages, in many cases according to the status indicator some pages would only load to about %80 while in appearance the page was in fact fully loaded. Also, page-load would consume as much as %26 of cpu resource. While attempting to open and or utilize simple apps such as Word and Notepad, cpu resource during page-load, FF3.1b would consume up to %90 of cpu resource causing apps such as Word and Notepad to operate sloooowly or not at all. And attempting to drag an icon or Notepad page during web page loading would either cause the drag operation to leave permenant trails or freeze. While I found the memory usage to be very reaonable especially compared to IE thru 6.0 (I haven't tried and don't think I intend to try 7 or 8,) I find KM 1.5.1 (and earlier versions) to leave less a footprint and in general render pages much faster, though in some cases FF3.1b did render in half the time. Something else I didn't care for was the fact that FF3.1b seemed to steal default status with no appearant means to undo it's default status except to set KM back to default.

If I had a good broadband connection I could perhaps be comfortable with FF3.1b or any secure browser for that matter. But since I see no good reason for me to upgrade beyond a discount dialup, I have to say I'm a happier camper with KM1.5.1 (or even earlier.) Perhaps it's just something about my particular system or Internet settings, but I'll try it again when it's out of beta.

Meanwhile, I'll install Opera 962 int (what ever int means, perhaps you can clue me in) and see how this new Opera v fares for me.

Collapse -
RE: Opera.
by caktus / November 3, 2008 11:06 AM PST

More often than not, the new Opera rendered pages rather quickly. It may be just me, but customizing it was like learning to use the TI-30 scientific calulator back in the day which came with an intruction book the size of which put most large paperback novels to shame. Opera as usual is trying to provide users with evey possible feature under the sun. Like trying to find the dead sea scrolls, you just keep digging not even knowing if you will every find them (if they have been found, then I reference Atlantis :p.) As I mentioned, it may just be me, but I'm growing old so fast that I just don't have the time nor desire to dredge through a lot of crap just trying to find simplicities that make life more pleasent for me. KM is extremely fast and just makes cutomizing so very simple, and I like that.

Cheerio Happy

Collapse -
by mickzdaman / November 3, 2008 6:54 AM PST
In reply to: RE: flop of 6.

do you know how k-mekeon performs with broadband? and if so where could i find it? iv'e never heard of it to tell the truth, im more into how browsers perform for me but i must say ie, of late, seems to be slowing down more and more, day by day. So i'm on the lookout for a new browser, and i may give k-mekeon a whirl!

Collapse -
reply to: k-mekeon
by caktus / November 3, 2008 11:55 AM PST
In reply to: k-mekeon

K-Meleon is an extremely fast, customizable, lightweight web browser based on the Gecko layout engine developed by Mozilla which is also used by Firefox and many other browsers. K-Meleon is free, open source software released under the GNU General Public License and is designed specifically for Microsoft Windows (Win32) operating systems.

You can download it at

Though all versions are simple and fast, the latest version (1.5.1) is the fastest. Download the Full package with installer for the easiet installation. It will automatically create it's own folder in the main directory (usually the C: drive, not Add/Remove Programs.) I chose to run the setup in a new folder on the desktop for easy access since setting some customizations requires accessing the main KM files.

Fist thing after installation, open the KM 1.5.1 folder and create an empty text document named "profile.ini" with out the quotes being sure to save it as .ini rather than .txt. This is not always necessary, but it will prevent KM from trying to use profiles built in other browsers which may not (probably not) be compatible with your KM installation. I figure that's about as difficult as it gets, since it can be run with defalt settings. I have mine stripped down to a "plain-jane" with few custmizations for the sake of simplicity and max screen real estate.

You will find that some functions work quite differently from big name browsers, the price of simplicity and speed. After a while you may want to add some personal custmizations, some of which can be found (already prepared) at the K-Meleon Macro Library
And the General Forum has volenteer members and developers dedicated to helping solve problems with KM as well as help to create your own individual customazations.

Welcome aboard the K-Meleon train. Happy

Collapse -
SAFARI for Windows..
by dansar99 / November 8, 2008 9:30 AM PST
In reply to: k-mekeon

I have broadband and I have tried Firefox 3, Chrome,K-melleon,slimbrowser,Maxthon and so far Safari is the easiest to use and fast. I love that I can set text to be no lower than a certain # you choose.That way I can lean back and relax while I read pages. Very nice bookmark bar. 9 news sources on it and I can add to it. I know all the geeks here advocate FF3 but you have to be a geek to configure to you're needs. Safari is already set up for the casual user with minor tweaks you can do.

Collapse -
thanks mate
by mickzdaman / November 8, 2008 6:19 PM PST
In reply to: SAFARI for Windows..

i appreciate your honesty. could you please give me an address to download safari, and i,ll give it a whirl. after all im trying to make life easier, not more difficult and time consuming

Collapse -
you can ...
by dansar99 / November 9, 2008 12:00 PM PST
In reply to: thanks mate

download it from this site. Click on <Downloads> at the top of this page. Then type in Safari in the search bar. I like to download programs from this site for safety reasons

Collapse -
No, not really
by Jimmy Greystone / November 1, 2008 10:31 AM PDT
In reply to: ie

No, not really. Microsoft isn't all that interested in the browser market anymore. Their latest flight of fancy is cloud computing. The latest evolution in technology where we have come full circle. Cloud computing is just a new take on the old mainframe idea from the 70s.

Personally, I think Microsoft would be wise to just discontinue IE completely. It's near continuous security issues are one PR disaster I'm sure they'd love to be able to stop dealing with. Since IE8 is already mostly done, I'd make it the final release. IE6-8 will be kept on life support for a couple of years to have security issues fixed, but users are urged to switch to something else. Keep the rendering engine around, but gut it in a big way. No ActiveX, no Flash, no JavaScript, no Java, no frames, no anything like that. Just text layout and formatting controls for the help system. Over time, make programs like Office be able to use rendering engines from other browsers found on the system.

It may seem hard to believe, but one or two more Vista level disasters, and Microsoft could very well be out of business. It is a company teetering dangerously close to the edge of oblivion.

Collapse -
RE: discontinue IE completely.
by caktus / November 2, 2008 9:34 AM PST
In reply to: No, not really

I think they sould stop at 6 or 7 and and let others keep building browsers, especially since there is no money in it for them. Just a basic browser to permit immediate web surfing from the word go following installation. And having to use IE for MS updates is fine with me, and nowadays I use IE almost excluviey for updates. Still, [ccasionally] I run across a site that still requires IE. BTW, I rarely see updates for IE any more, usually just for XP and apps.

Collapse -
IE is a waste of time
by Pyrrhos / November 2, 2008 4:33 AM PST
In reply to: about deleting IE.

I've got all the latest Windows updates on my computer; and IE still crashes every time I use it. Thank heavens for Firefox!

Collapse -
To try and fix your IE
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 2, 2008 7:20 PM PST
In reply to: IE is a waste of time

Start by removing all ActiveX, addons, toolbars, and BHOs, (Browser Helper Objects), from IE. Many Internet Explorer problems can be traced back to some of these.

Collapse -
Don't Deleat IE
by sauronjim / November 1, 2008 1:23 PM PDT
In reply to: SP4

I actually use Firefox, and I like it much better then IE
But if you got rid of IE, all the users who use it would be unable to access the internet. Plus, when you buy a new computer, if it had 'sp4' on it, it would come without any internet browser, and the user would be unable to download firefox, and would have NO INTERNET ACCESS!

Collapse -
no Internet access?
by Ck87.JF / November 1, 2008 1:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Don't Deleat IE

The Internet doesn't come exclusively through port 80. Firefox or other browsers could be downloaded via FTP or another computer.

However, it's not possible to remove Internet Explorer, as it's integrated into the system - it's part of the display manager and file manager.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.