Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows XP suddenly slow to load login screen

by cstang68 / March 21, 2008 9:39 AM PDT

My system is rather old (athlon T-Bird 1 Ghz chip, Asus A7V mobo, 1280 megs ram) and I have never had this problem before.

Just recently it will load the black screen with the XP logo and the moving dots at the bottom, then it will switch to a black screen and it takes about 6 minutes for the blue login screen to appear.

This used to take less than 30 seconds. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't believe that I added any new software or changed any settings before this started happening.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP suddenly slow to load login screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP suddenly slow to load login screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Add more info
by cstang68 / March 21, 2008 9:45 AM PDT

I forgot to add that once the login screen appears windows loads quickly and I do not have any performance issues with running games or CAD programs.

Collapse -
Those symptoms usually mean
by lacsr / March 21, 2008 9:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Add more info

That a driver or service is looking for a solution or you are having a hardware issue. The delay means Windows is trying to solve a problem. If you just updated drivers, then that would be the place to start. If not, then probably a hardware device is failing. If you are really sincere on solving this, it can be a long procedure.
On a machine as old as that one could be, it is most likely a hardware device starting to fail. You can start by removing everything that you do not absolutely need to startup. If it is OK, then reinstall one device at a time until the symptom returns. The last device installed is the culprit.
If you cannot or do not have the knowledge to start this project, we can help.

Collapse -
Fixed
by cstang68 / March 22, 2008 3:11 AM PDT

I just ran an error check on the hard drive. It found bad sectors in the bootstat.dat file and repaired it. The computer boots up fine now.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.