Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows XP (SP2) Low Battery Warning on Desktop PC

by wghagglund / May 16, 2005 1:12 AM PDT

First understand: This is not a Laptop problem. I am using a desktop CPU and it is plugged into the AC in my house, just like any other appliance.

I am getting a Low Battery warning on start up.
Yet I have no access in Power Management to Battery data or to set any warnings.
How do I recharge the battery or use Power Management to avoid this problem?

Currently I have the system go into standby after one hour and Hibernation after 6 hours if left alone.I never have my disks turn off. Monitor shuts down after 15 minutes.

Is the fix as simple as leaving the computer fully on at all times and just shutting down the monitor?

What damage will occur if my CPU Battery Fails?

Should I replace it? If so How?

My system info
Dell Dimension 8300,
Pentium 4 CPU 2.80 GHZ,
2.79 GHZ, 1.25 GB Ram

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP (SP2) Low Battery Warning on Desktop PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP (SP2) Low Battery Warning on Desktop PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What an odd error
by Adi / May 16, 2005 5:35 AM PDT

If it is a "low battery" error, you should not be getting it. That is for laptops, not desktops. Do you have a battery icon in the taskbar that shows a battery level? If so, what charge is it apparently on?

If the error actually says "Alert!! System battery voltage low", then this could be to do with a surge-protecter. See http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1092570&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

As far as I am aware, there is no such thing as a "CPU" battery, only a CMOS battery which powers the CMOS chip, which hold firmware information like the BIOS settings. There is no Windows warning message that this is running out.

Collapse -
Yes it is odd
by wghagglund / May 16, 2005 8:35 AM PDT
In reply to: What an odd error

I have no battery symbol in my taskbar, but when I restart my computer I get a beep and a low battery warning and an message to press F1 to continue or F2 to check thngs out.

I am mystified.

Collapse -
It sounds like
by retired / May 16, 2005 9:53 AM PDT

you have an uninterruptible power supply but you would surely know if you had one. Check power options in the control panel UPS tab and see if there is a clue there. May also be something in msconfig or the registry for UPS.

Collapse -
LOW BATTERY WARNING
by annhere / May 16, 2005 11:15 AM PDT
In reply to: It sounds like

I have had this this problem for a year with my Dell which I gave to my husband. The computer has had so many roblems we just ignore all the warnings now. It still works.

Ann.

Collapse -
Could you clarity
by Steven Haninger / May 16, 2005 11:34 AM PDT

I read that the beep happens during POST but you have no indication of a battery problem once XP has started. Is this correct? If so, you can stop looking at anything in the OS and concentrate on the BIOS. Perhaps the MB battery is monitored and needs to be checked/replaced.

Collapse -
Clarification
by wghagglund / May 17, 2005 1:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Could you clarity

I think it may be a Bios problem too or a badly seated battery.
The actual warning text is:
"Alert! System Battery voltage is low."

I have unplugged the machine entirely for a good hour and repowered it and the PC time is correct, so the CMOS is not weak. I plan to install the AO5 Bios upgrade and if that does not fix it, open the CPU and reseat the CMOS battery.

I'll let you all know what happens.

Thanks for your imput so far.

Collapse -
Like I said before...
by Adi / May 17, 2005 10:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Clarification
Collapse -
I agree with Adi
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 18, 2005 1:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Like I said before...

I have a Dell PC and have intermittently had that message displayed on BIOS boot up before Windows starts to load.

Same message, ''Alert! System Battery voltage is low - Press F1 to enter Setup F2 to continue''.

Adi has given a link to a Dell Support page that suggests this is a problem with the surge protector, (the strip of 4 or so sockets that plug into the AC mains and is for plugs for the PC, Monitor, Printer, etc), which may be grounding, (earthing). Dell recommends you bypass the surge protector, ie take the PC plug out of the strip and plug it into the mains elsewhere, or re-seat the PC plug into a different surge protector socket, or use a different surge protector.

This appears to be new and definitive advice from Dell. I tracked the discussions at the Dell forums for some months last year, and even had a couple of Dell emails telling me how to resolve the problem by flashing the BIOS, something I was very reluctant to do.

The forums advice ranged from the surge protector. to flashing the BIOS, even to re-setting WIndows time to update automatically.

In the end, I decided it was the surge protector, and as I was not happy with plugging the PC directly into the mains, I dusted the surge protector and re-seated the plugs everytime the message appeared which solved the problem until I brought myself a new surge protector.

As far as I am concerned, this is not a BIOS problem, nor a Windows problem, nor a CMOS battery problem, (as such), but a surge strip protector fault, and my own error messages have not re-appeared since I took the action I did.

Mark

Collapse -
Battery replacement....
by firefly45 / April 21, 2008 5:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Clarification

I was also getting that "Alert System Battery Voltage is low", and then it just shut down the PC after about 1 week. I replaced the battery in My cpu (desktop) Some one said they don't have a battery. Oh yes it does. Small like a watch battery . Cost about $4.00 at Wal Mart, and about 6 hours of work to get all of my programs back on, and PC working again. I had to re-install Windows XP again, as the PC would not boot up.I lost everything in the process. If there was another way to do it, I wish that would be in some literature from "DELL".

Collapse -
Windows XP (SP3) Low Battery Warning on Dimension XPS Gen 2
by Michaeld / March 9, 2009 2:03 AM PDT

- It was not the UPS/Surge protector.
- It was not dusty contacts or faulty grounding of the UPS.
- It was, as the message on my screen indicated, a dead CR 2032 battery, easily found when you open the cover.
- Per Dell, I recorded all of the settings in the System Setup.
- I used a plastic stir stick to push the latch open so i could pry it out with a plastic picnic knife.
- I checked the battery with a voltage tester, and it was completely dead.
- I inserted a new battery, buttoned everything up, re-powered, went to setup, checked all of the settings, and voila, everything operates without any more warnings.
- I did do a full system backup just in case.
Hope that is of some help to those getting the same message on their Dell Desktop.

Collapse -
Low battery warning on Dell desktop using xp
by Kevin OReilly / April 12, 2009 10:37 AM PDT

Thanks for your posting. I thought I was going nuts when I saw this warning continually showing up at start up (DELL). Did a little research and was assured there was nothing to worry about. They said the only thing it controlled was the clock and date. Apparently not so. Last week my hard drive went down. I have a brother in-law working on this. We just thought the C drive had just finally given up the ghost, but after replacing old with new hard drive, desktop will not recognize the C drive. Is this a possible problem because of a dead battery? Our next step is to replace the battery. Could a dead battery actually make all this happen? Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Kevin O

Collapse -
Hi, Kevin! Welcome To The Forums!!
by tobeach / April 12, 2009 5:00 PM PDT

It's Sandy (& Mary) in Brampton aka "tobeach". Nice to see you here.
I'm mostly found on the Security & Viruses forum but do monitor here as well. Lot's of help available. Enjoy!! S Grin

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.