Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows XP SLOW Startup. Fast Computer

by rakoom2002 / March 9, 2007 11:10 AM PST

I have an AMD Athlon XP 64 3700 2.2 GHZ Processor with 3GB of Ram. My computer is pretty fast, but just recently the startup has been sooo slow. i switched my log in screen to the classic with the autmatic login about two months ago and everything was fine tell about a week or two ago. When i start up my computer it will get to where its time to load the desktop and the log in dialog box will show up and it will finish and then this is where it should load all my startup programs and desktop icons, but it just loads my desktop background picture and then wait about 45 seconds to a minute and it will make the windows startup music and then wait about another minute and then it will start to load all my desktop icons and startup programs. I have tried al most everything. I have ran AVG antivirus about 10 times with updated defiinitions, ran ad-aware, ran spybot search and destory, registry mechanic, ccleaner. I have listen to other suggestions. I have gone into msconfig and removed all startup items, and even tried to remove uncessesary start up services from there as well. NOTHING works. I am desperate but I dont want to reinstall XP, I have had to so many times already this year and will only do it last resort.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP SLOW Startup. Fast Computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP SLOW Startup. Fast Computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by tomron / March 9, 2007 11:42 AM PST

Lets try one more scan,AVG ANTI SPYWARE.have you tried scanning in safe may help.

I'm not sure if switching too automatic login has any bearing on this.

Collapse -
try removing un-needed fonts
by dratner / March 9, 2007 7:06 PM PST

I believe fonts are loaded at startup. Excessive fonts can slow things down.

Collapse -
Another option
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 10, 2007 5:42 AM PST

In addition to the other suggestions, try and hunt the problem down using the Event Viewer.

Goto Start > Run, type in "eventvwr.msc", (without the quotes), and click OK.

In the Event Viewer you can view the event logs for both System and Applications. check the viewer logs after your system has fully booted up. You probably should concentrate on System initially, and if you find any entries that either have a yellow exclamation mark or red cross, highlight them, right click and select Properties for more information. Remember, you are looking for problems during the time of the boot up.

If there are no warnings or errors, start looking for two entries that are separated by a significant period of time. I am not sure, but it is most likely that the later entry is the one taking so long, as the first entry will only get written once it is completed. If you find any, check its properties for more information about what it is.

I hope that helps.

Collapse -
Windows XP slow startup
by White Wolf 01 / March 12, 2007 1:03 PM PDT

I have an AMD Athalon 3000+ system. I had a bad time getting WinXP to start up in under 4 to 5 minutes. I downloaded a trial version of Startup Faster by It was amazing. I'm down to 45 second boot up times. If you want to try a free version to see if this works for you, go to Go to the bottom of the page. The last line reads "If you're still not sure, try it out 21 days for FREE! A shareware version is available by clicking here - you can only uninstall 2 applications per session." Click on the "click here" link. The second program down is "Startup Faster! 2004" Click on the download free trial version to the right.

Hope this helps. It's made a tremendous difference in mine. If you have a virus or spyware, this probably won't help

Collapse -
Windows XP Slow Startup
by Bob G / March 13, 2007 2:04 AM PDT

I had similar actions to what you list (Large delay intervals).
Using the event viewer and Microsofts Info Site I traced the cause to the fact that I had disabled some Services. When I reset the services the boot time dropped to under 1 minute. Bob G

Collapse -
here are a few thing u can try
by dhruv84 / March 13, 2007 8:46 PM PDT

go to control panel --> sound and change the windows start and exit sounds to none. (i am sure u dont require that)

in run type "services.msc" , u can turn some automatic services to manual (NOTE: only do this if u know about the services, otherwise u might do more damage to ur pc)

try to minimize as many applications as possible which start with windows and show up as tray messengers, quicktime etc.

hope this helps.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.