Computer Help forum

General discussion

Windows XP: Slow computer after watching youtube

by kjetillunde / January 14, 2013 1:11 AM PST

After watching youtube with Firefox my computer is slow in every operation! Just opening My Computer or booting takes a lot more time.

My specs:
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.40GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 1999 Mb
Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 80003 MB, Free - 72494 MB; D: Total - 72614 MB, Free - 49592 MB; F: Total - 953867 MB, Free - 240 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0G866N
Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2013, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

This is some of what I`ve tried:

1. System restore

2. Formated the computer and installed a fresh XP

3. I didn`t install adobe flash player. (It seems like I had activex flash thou)

4. Cleaned the registry with "Vit Registry Fix 11"

5. Deleted temporary internet files in Firefox 18

I formated the computer 2 times and even after a fresh install the computer went slow after watching youtube for some minutes. Before formatting I thought the problems was because of Flash Player so I didn`t install it in the fresh XP install.

I suspect it has something with my video card (Intel GM45 Graphics). It didn`t show up in either dxdiag or CPU-Z before I installed the driver. Under Graphics Driver, Intel® Driver Update Utility says "Your driver is current". Under Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility (Chipset INF) it says "This version is valid. Does it mean I have the correct drivers?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP: Slow computer after watching youtube
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP: Slow computer after watching youtube
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I think that's right.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2013 1:26 AM PST
Collapse -
I think the heatsink is ok...
by kjetillunde / January 14, 2013 1:36 AM PST
In reply to: I think that's right.

I have a notebook... and it`s slow all the time, even after reboot.

Collapse -
Wow, a Core 2 Duo powered Netbook? A first.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2013 1:42 AM PST

If it's slow after boot forever then you are looking at the usual issues and cures. Reload the OS and see if it returns to normal.

Collapse -
by kjetillunde / January 14, 2013 1:55 AM PST

What do you mean with reload? Do you mean formating the computer and install a new XP?

Collapse -
It appears that many are doing that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2013 2:14 AM PST
In reply to: Reload?

Since MSFT never issued any tool to tackle this area you often find you have to reload.

Your story is too slim so I have to move to the usual fix. That is, you didn't reveal the make/model as well as if you suspect any infections.

Collapse -
I dont understand...
by kjetillunde / January 14, 2013 2:26 AM PST

What is MSFT, and what is reload?

I forgot to mention I have a Dell Latitude E6400 laptop.

Collapse -
MSFT = Microsoft.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2013 2:44 AM PST
In reply to: I dont understand...

You can put abbreviations and words in all capital letters on for faster answers.

Some folk call a reloading of the OS "formatting" or something else. Your post is too slim on details and without more clues I can't guess if this is some virus or much else.

Given the model and age it's not usually the issues you are having but it appears you don't do your own repairs or maintenance so let's start with what a person does before they take it to the shop.

-> It's odd you write the heatsink is fine and I'll agree that it is. However I am always cleaning client's laptop vents and heatsinks and if it's over a few years we replace the heatsink compound.

Collapse -
Thank you
by kjetillunde / January 14, 2013 3:16 AM PST
In reply to: MSFT = Microsoft.

Ok, thank you.
Since saturday I`ve already reloaded two times (two days ago). So I don`t suspect any infections.

I`ve also downloaded drivers from Dell`s web page with my Service Tag.

Could it be something wrong with my ram or graphic memory?
After reload the computer is fast until I`m watching youtube for some minutes...

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2013 4:26 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you

But if you reloaded the OS and it fails that points to hardware issues.

Why do you suspect ram of graphic memory when the more common issues are age, dust and clogged heat sink as well as dried up heat sink compound?

That is, we are talking about a dollar or two of compound versus how much for memory and cards.

Collapse -
Re: youtube
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 14, 2013 4:33 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you

Three questions:
1. Did you try in Internet Explorer?
2. Did you try in Google Chrome?
3. Did you disable Flash hardware accelleration?

Collapse -
BIOS update
by kjetillunde / January 17, 2013 7:16 AM PST
In reply to: Re: youtube

I updated to the most recent Dell BIOS and that solved the problem!
The performance is much better now.

The BIOS update did the trick!

Collapse -
slow after youtube
by Alicecarterit / January 18, 2013 8:40 PM PST

If your computer is slow then you can other internet plans that gives high bandwidth

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.