Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows XP-Sign In Screen-No Passwords

by iZune / March 10, 2006 6:02 AM PST

I have Windows XP-Prof on my Compaq-Presario-5900Z,
The sign in screen comes up on startup without any sign-in names to access the system.

I have never set up any passwords and this screen recently appeared after my teenage grand-daughter was on the computer. I think she tried to set up her own password so she would have privacy of her files.

Control-Alt Delete will bring up another administrator sign in box, but I have no administrator name or password asigned, and can't access the sytem that way.

I can get to the system setup but whatever name and password I enter for the administrator will not get me access.

When I press F-3 at startup to get to the safe mode screen so I can try to change settings, I always get the sign in screen again.

So now I have a computer I can't use because I can't sign in with a password because none are set up and I can't get to the system settings to change anything.

Can anybody give me a solution to resovle this problem?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP-Sign In Screen-No Passwords
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP-Sign In Screen-No Passwords
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Move ahead with ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 10, 2006 6:15 AM PST

Press the control-alt-delete to get the logon box.

Type this into the name.

Try it with nothing in the password box and click OK.

-> This problem could have been easily avoided by having spare accounts and that mystical password reset diskette. But not many believe such are needed until...

Collapse -
Just want to add a few things.
by fredsteigman / March 11, 2006 1:51 AM PST
In reply to: Move ahead with ...

Do this preferably at system start up.

Also you have to press Ctrl +Alt +del TWO times for the box to come up.

There are certain other methods apart from the floppy disk method too , but it seems that you havent created any other account so providing those methods wont be of assitance.

Plus, I cannot remember them too right now. Happy

Collapse -
xp sign in
by ren.and / March 10, 2006 6:39 AM PST

Get the password screen up and click 'enter' or 'return' and it should bypass the need to enter a password.

Collapse -
Windows XP-Sign In Screen-No Passwords
by Snmyr / March 10, 2006 6:47 AM PST

On my Compaq Persario 5000T if it is put in stand by then I get the password box. I do not have a password so if I leave password blank and hit OK wait for it to come back again and hit OK again it will let me in. It's worth a try. Good luck!

Collapse -
Best thing
by Themisive / March 10, 2006 11:42 PM PST

Ask your grand daughter what she did, and tell her YOU can't use youur own computer now.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Griffith43, Did you ever get this resolved?
by retired / March 10, 2006 11:46 PM PST
Collapse -
XP login screen - no password to open
by iZune / March 25, 2006 11:51 PM PST

I still can't get in to my computer.
The login name is administrator by default, but there
is no password set fot it.

Collapse -
If you have tried all the suggestions above
by retired / March 26, 2006 12:48 AM PST

and still cannot get in, you are between a rock and a hard place. You basically have two choices, re-install using the Compaq recovery disks. or use this procedure to blank the admin password.

Austrumi is a Linux bootable CD for recovering/Blanking NT passwords. The CD also performs other functions as well but we will only cover blanking passwords. Get the ISO image from the following site (Scroll down the page to find the download)and burn the image to a CD.

Once the image is burned to a CD follow these instructions.

Set the CD/ROM as first boot device and boot the computer.

After Linux loads all it's neat stuff there will be a short pause and you will see this

You only have seconds to type so type in

It should look like this

boot: nt_pass

select partition by number

type (1) and ENTER

Windows/system32/config Press ENTER

select which part of the registry to load (1) is default Press ENTER

What to do? (1) is default Press ENTER

Select (!) to quit or use list of users, ADMINISTRATOR is default, If that is the choice. Press ENTER

Type (*) to blank password Press ENTER

do you really wish to change? Type (y) Press ENTER

If there are no more names to blank type (!) Press ENTER

What to do? type (q) press ENTER

About to write files back do it? type (y) press ENTER

NOTE: A disk fixup will now be done may take some time wait for it to finish.

Here you can try again if it failed to complete (n) is default press ENTER.

remove CD from the drive.

CTRL-ALT-DEL to restart the computer. A CHKDSK will be run, (you may not see it run)

Admin p/w is now blank and you can use the below procedure to gain access to the Admin account and all other accounts>

Boot to the sign in screen.

In the box that pops up type Administrator for the User name

leave the password blank and click OK or press Enter.

Windows will boot the hidden admin account.

Open Control Panel---User Accounts.

Open the account you are locked out of.

Click Remove Password//Change password

Close out the open windows and Reboot.

If that is the only account you have windows will boot to your desktop. If there is more than one account just click the previously locked account.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.