Computer Newbies

General discussion

Windows XP RTM Support?

by Carol~ Forum moderator / December 3, 2004 2:47 AM PST

Just when I thought I had been gaining knowledge.. I feel like a complete idiot. This morning I went to "view" Windows Updates. (Set on Automatic..but not have installed SP2.. as of yet). There was a message on the right side under "News" that read: 'Windows XP RTM support on Windows Update is ending. Learn more.' I must have gone to every link, to include FAQ. I tried to 'learn more' and have learned nothing! Is this a standard post? [WinXP Home Edition. Using IE 6] (I originally thought it was because I am coming upon one year anniversay of purchase.. this is not the case. I think.) Is anyone able to explain this to me in the very basic of terms?

As usual, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP RTM Support?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP RTM Support?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Windows XP RTM Support?
by roddy32 / December 3, 2004 3:33 AM PST

Remote Task Manager

Collapse -
by Carol~ Forum moderator / December 3, 2004 4:59 AM PST

Roddy..
Did you mean that you highly doubt I would have it? "It" being Remote Task Manager. Or did you literally mean that they would not have me?

The first paragraph, under that link read..'Microsoft?s Support Lifecycle policy provides consistent and predictable guidelines for product supportavailability at the time of product release. The Support Lifecycle policy took effect October 15, 2002 and applies to most products currently available through retail purchase or volume licensing and most future release products. New enhancements for the Support Lifecycle took effect June 1, 2004'.

Is Remote Task Manager one in the same?

Thanks for your help.. but I'm still in "wonder"land.

Collapse -
by roddy32 / December 3, 2004 7:25 AM PST

Yes Curcat, I meant to say that I highly doubt if you would have that. I usually reread everything before I hit the "post messge" button but I was waiting for somebody to pick me up to go somewhere and I heard the horn outside and I pushed the button. LOL Sorry about that. I read the same article that you did. I will do some more checking later when I have some more time. I don't think they are the same thing though.

Collapse -
by Carol~ Forum moderator / December 3, 2004 8:24 AM PST

Roddy..

For a while there you had me thinking.. they wouldn't allow me to be "a member of their elite club"!!?? Then realized what you meant. Also wondered how you have time to go out, when you are so busy helping others.. which is very generous of you.

I've tried every which way to figure out what all that means..and can't. They gave an email address if you had questions. I only asked what it all meant and got back 'You have reached the group that determines the length of time a product is supported. If your question is regarding the support timelines of a particular product, or you have questions about Microsoft's Product Support Lifecycle Policy, then I or someone on my team will get back to you shortly'.The next paragraph said they couldn't help me.

Does the above help you out? I'm beginning to think it is a very simple answer and for some reason I am missing the brain cells that would allow me to figure it out!

Thanks for whatever input you can supply.

Collapse -
by roddy32 / December 3, 2004 9:05 AM PST

I'm having trouble at the moment trying to access the web site that I'm trying to access but I found some other forums talking about this and this was one of the comments.

"Yes, this means that support WXP Home/Pro RTM which came out more than 3 years ago is ending. However, support is still provided for WXP SP1 and WXP SP2."

I would really think that if you had RTM, you WOULD know it. Microsoft announced a month or so ago, that they are slowly phasing out support for ALL windows OS except XP. I forgot exactly what the dates are on all of that. I hope this helps some. I don't know anymore about it besides that.

Collapse -
by Carol~ Forum moderator / December 3, 2004 10:27 AM PST

Thanks Roddy..

My gut feeling tells me that it is a support issue. Reading your post has confirmed that. Unless you hear otherwise.. I will accept that and lose no sleep over it. I have bigger mountains to climb.. like finding the guts to deal with SP2 (once I install it) It seems like such a shame to look for problems when none exist.. at the moment. And it is just for that reason, I will have to forge ahead. Otherwise, I'll be sitting here until April, when I have no choice!

Again I thank you and appreciate your help. I hope all the people you respond to feel the same way.

Collapse -
by roddy32 / December 3, 2004 10:40 AM PST

You're welcome Curcat. As far as SP2, it's not as bad as people are saying as long as you are prepared for it. I ordered the free CD from Microsoft the first day it was available and received it in less than a week. I'm on dialup and decided that was the best way for me. I installed it 9/2/2004 which is 3 months ago, I have had no problems at all. I'm going to paste my SP2 post that I for situations like this and as long as you do EVERYTHING on the list, you should be OK. Most of the people that are having the problems either have spyware or virus issues OR did NOT the the Microsoft link or their computer manufacturer's website for known issues and apply patches BEFORE they attempted to install it. This is my advice.

You have to be completely prepared for SP2 which means. Spyware free, Adware free, virus free BEFORE you install SP2, Also go to this link from Microsoft which also has links inside of it that will tell you what to do to prepare, including programs that are known to have problems which you may have to patch BEFORE you install SP2. Also go to your computer manufacturer's web site to see if any programs that came with your computer (non Microsoft programs) that need some sort of a patch BEFORE you install SP2. After all of the above, you should have no problems. Here is the Microsoft link. Hope this helps.
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6794/en-us/

Good luck to you Curcat. Grin

Collapse -
by Carol~ Forum moderator / December 3, 2004 3:21 PM PST

I hate to take advantage of a good thing, as you have been a great help.. but would like your advice on one other thing, if you don't mind.

Firstly, I think I have done everything possible in preparation for installation. The last thing left was to update BIOS from Dell, which I did earlier. I believe I have been a bit lucky and a bit smart, because I have been free of any virus or spyware.. short of tracking cookies. (At least that I know of) My question is this.. I see alot of the people who utilize this site, have at least one.. some many.. anti-adware/spyware/etc programs. I only have Ad-Aware and am wondering if I shouldn't download Spybot or the like, in case Ad-Aware hasn't picked something up. I have never picked up anything more than tracking cookies and am wondering if this is "too good to be true". I don't have any problems w/ my computer and would like to keep it like that!

I am using McAfee (Virus & Firewall).. not terribly excited about them, but nonetheless, it seems to have done the job. Hope to switch to something better in a couple of months when my "time is up". I had planned on only using McAfee's Firewall and not Window's. In your opinion, is McAfee alone enough? I'm under the impression that Window's Firewall is not as thorough as McAfee or some other's...and.. that I can't use 2 at the same time anyway. Is this correct?

I read alot of the posts, with the hope of gaining more knowledge, but find, at least for me, it can be too much. Everyone has their own opinions.. and some are very different from other's. (I find myself gravitating towards your name when I do read them. It seems like solid advice.) I won't pick your brain anymore after this.. at least for a while. THANKS!!
(BTW.. I have waited this long to install SP2, so please answer.. when you have the time.) Just realized it is now 2:13AM!!

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 3, 2004 7:33 PM PST

Hi curcat. I hope you and roddy don't mind me "butting in".

There are various types of viruses, and the term virus is used either to denote a virus, (something which carries an infection into a computer), or "everything" that installs on your computer without your knowledge or agreement and which then proceeds to do it's job which generally is not want you want it to do.

They are;
Viruses, defined as above,
Adware, places adverts on your computer
Spyware, spies on how you use your computer,
Trojans, you think they are something, but they are something else,
Worms, tunnel into your computer and wreak havock,
Hackers, given the chance will steal information from you or use your computer for their own benefit.

You say you have McAfee firewall and Anti-Virus, (AV), and also Ad-Aware. These are very good, but with the AV and Ad-Aware you need to make sure their definitions are kept up to date and that you scan your computer regularly. The firewall is good at prventing hackers into or even seeing your computer. The AV can be used to scan any files, programs, images that you download from the internet or from CD's or email's to make sure they are virus free, and Ad-Aware is very good at cleaning out these pop-up ads, that people suffer from.

But Spyware and Trojans can still be a problem, and so you should consider some anti-spyware programs as well as the protection you already have. You say that you have read these forums, so I will not try and influence you on what you should use. I think you will see which ones are more popular than others.

With SP2, the Windows Firewall is much better than the Internet Firewall that XP had before SP2, and SP2 introduces a Security Centre that checks whether your firewall, (whether windows or other), is on, and whether you have any AV protection.

But general opinion is that, even though it is better, it is still not as good as third party firewalls such as McAfee, or Nortons, or Sygate, or ZoneAlarm, and you would still need an AV even if you used the Windows Firewall.

The Windows Firewall helps people who have no protection to be better protected.

If you do not intend renewing your McAfee subscription, then you may want to consider separate programs for each type of protection needed, ie a separate firewall, separate AV, and the Ad-aware you already have, and also of course, additional anti-spware programs.

Good luck. I'm sure roddy will have comments to make as well.

Mark

Collapse -
by Carol~ Forum moderator / December 4, 2004 2:39 AM PST

Mark..

That kind of "butting in" I will take anytime!! I appreciate your input. I'm also grateful that you saved Roddy some typing time! I thrive on this kind of information. So thanks again. All is duly noted.
Have a good weekend.
Curcat

Collapse -
by roddy32 / December 3, 2004 9:14 PM PST

Mark, your posts are NEVER "butting in". They are always informative and not to mention, they save me a lot of typing LOL. Curcat, Mark's advice is great as always and I appreciate your confidence in my responses but I will be the first to tell you that I am not an expert.I only respond when I think I can help someone and not steer them astray. Yes, you will see many varying opinions in these forum because they are public forums and anybody can post. The Moderators would never steer you wrong, plus there are many NON moderators, myself and Mark included that try to help. There are quite a few very knowledgable people in here and you have been here long enough now and read enough posts that you probably already know who they are. Anyway, back to your question. It looks like you are doing your homework with the SP2. Spybot works great with Ad-Aware find finds things that Ad-Aware does not find and vice versa so it is a good idea to have both. There is a minor glitch in Spybot which I will provide a link for also. This first link is for Spybot S&D, download it and let it install and also check and install any updates that are available but don't scan with it yet. DO read the tutorial though, paying particular attention to the immunize part of it so you learn how to do that. Close it out after you have it updated.
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

There is a minor bug in Spybot that makes the DSO Exploit keep coming back after it is fixed. There has been a beta fix released for it. Just download it on top of your current version. It will change your version to 1.3.1TX. After you download it, run Spybot S&D, let it fix the exploit, then reboot and run it again. It should be gone, if not, just put it into ignore until Spybot comes out with a permanent fix for it which should be soon. I'm not sure if the rebooting is totally necessary but it seems to work better that way. Two things to warn you about, first of all, if you have been to Major Geeks where this download is, make sure you click one one of the actual download links and NOT on one of the "sponsored ads" or "recommended downloads". It can be confusing there and those are not what you want. Use one of the ones where it says "download locations" where the flags are on the top of the page. Spybot also detects "Wild Tangent" which is considered by some to be spyware but it is also a game company that supplies games that come installed on many computers including HP/Compaq. I right clicked and excluded them from future scans and have never had a problem. If you let Spybot fix them, any games you have may stop working. If you have any questions about Spybot or any of these others, start a new thread in the Virus and Securities forum here at CNET and one of us will help you with it there. If you let Spybot "Fix" something that you find that you need later, it can be recovered within 30 days from the recovery portion of Spybot but as a general rule, you can just let it fix whatever it finds.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4392.html

These are 2 are stand alone spyware "blockers" and don't scan, you just download them, check for updates, enable them and leave them alone except for checking for updates occasionally. They will do their job silently. The second one does NOT update very often because it works in a different way and doesn't need to. ALL of these programs are free. Please forgive any typos that I missed on this post LOL.

SpywareBlaster
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

SpywareGuard
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html

Like I said earlier, if you have any questions at all about any of these start a new thread in the Virus and Securities Forum which is here. Grin

http://reviews.cnet.com/5204-6132-0.html?forumID=32&start=0&tag=null

Collapse -
by Carol~ Forum moderator / December 4, 2004 2:58 AM PST

Roddy..
I am really big on details.. and also am not big on surprises. You gave me the details. And I truly am grateful for telling me what to expect from Spybot. This is the kind of information that allows me to move forward in this learning process..when I become hesitant. Maybe that didn't make sense, but I'm sure you can figure it out.

I believe I understand what you have said about Spybot S&D. No doubt, I may have some questions after installing it.. but won't get ahead of myself. I have been to Major Geeks, but downloaded my Ad-Aware from Download.com. (I check for updates whenever I use it, as it only takes a second to check and about the same amount of time to update) I will be downloading Spybot from the link you provided. (another "thank you")

I am getting the impression that Spybot works in a different way than Ad-Aware.. so I will do my homework and read about it. These kind of things are the only times that I do read "the instruction book"..so to speak. It's easier to get it right the first time, than spending alot more time trying to fix it!

So again.. I say THANK YOU.. and wish you a good weekend.
Curcat

Collapse -
by roddy32 / December 4, 2004 3:12 AM PST

Hi again Curcat
Spybot doesn't exactly work in a different way than Ad-Aware, although it DOES block certain items which Ad-Aware does not do in the free verson but it detects some diferent things than Ad-Aware which is the main reason for using BOTH of them. You are welcome and have a good weekend yourself. Grin

Collapse -
by Sysadmin_MS / December 20, 2004 2:14 AM PST

Roddy et al,

RTM does not stand for "Remote Task Manager" in this instance. What MS is referring to is the "Release To Manufactures" version of XP. This was the original set of OEM "gold" code released to PC vendors that was bundled with computers purchased prior to Service Pack 1(a). Hopefully everyone with the original OEM version of XP has since upgraded (at least to SP 1a if not SP 2)and this won't be an issue. If not, we can only hope they are not connected to the internet or else their PCs are Zombies for the rest of the world to hack in to and control at will.

Collapse -
Thanks Sysadmin_MS , someone else
by roddy32 / December 20, 2004 2:49 AM PST

also corrected that farther down this thread. It is noted, thanks for the correction.

Collapse -
by alexmac / December 6, 2004 9:14 PM PST

Hi there,
I don't know if you're still after an answer to your original post, but if so........
RTM (in this instance) is "Release To Manufacture".
Essentially it refers to the ORIGINAL release of XP (i.e Service Pack 0).

The message is to inform you that Windows Update support is being discontinued for XP products that are not at least SP1.

I'm guessing that this won't affect you at all, but now you know (and all knowledge is power and so on.......;))
Hope this helps,
Alex

Collapse -
Re:Windows XP RTM Support?
by Carol~ Forum moderator / December 21, 2004 2:59 AM PST

I wrote the original post and sort of gave up on an answer. I happened to see this today and was pleasantly surprised. I thought it was a dead issue.

Contrary to a previous post, my WinXP came with SP1. (I've been procrastinating w/ SP2). You say 'Windows Update support is being discontinued'. I am confused as to what "support" this is... and why, as you say 'it is being discontinued for XP products that are not at least SP1'.

If I wasn't aware of any support system, I would presume that it's discontinuation would not effect me. I hope this presumption is correct. I still lack the knowledge.. hence .. the power. Any input would be greatly appreciated, since I am not big on surprises, especially when it comes to the computer.

Any additional info? Thanks
Curcat

Collapse -
IMHO
by alexmac / December 21, 2004 4:29 AM PST

Curcat,
Bear in mind all this is just my opinion, and if anyone else knows better then please do jump in and correct me.

To my mind 'Windows Update support is being discontinued' means that:
A: The Windows Update software itself (which checks file versions, patch levels etc. on your PC then tells you which updates are available) will no longer be made compatible with installations of Windows XP (Home or Pro) that have not been patched to at least SP1.
and,
B: The files, patches and drivers available from WU, will no longer be the versions required to work with installations of Win XP that have not been patched to at least SP1.

The reasoning behind this is presumably that anyone who STILL hasn't patched to at least SP1 yet is unlikely to be a WU user anyway.

Therefore continuing to support these outdated versions means wasted space on the servers, and wasted time for the programmers having to create compatible versions for the very small number of users who DO use WU but decline to install SP1/SP2.

In truth, in MS's idea of heaven EVERYONE is patched to the same level (SP2). So MS will do whatever they can to errr... 'encourage' users to update to SP2. (i.e discontinuing support for un-SP'd versions.)

In your case (already SP1) you shouldn't notice any change.

Personally I'd recommend SP2ing your machine anyway.

I've updated 6 totally different machines to SP2 and they have all been absolutely fine (thus far).
The only downside is even more nagging about EVERY action you take (and whether you are aware of the risks involved).
SP2 has been designed to work at the level of the absolute novice, which is admirable and thoroughly responsible of MS (never thought I'd use THAT in a sentence!) but it can get a bit irritating.

Hope all this is of some use to you, and hopefully helps to set your mind at rest.

Alex

Collapse -
Worse IMHO
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2004 4:46 AM PST
In reply to: IMHO

Microsoft has made it clear to me about this issue.

Patches are not going to be tested to see what happens to XP SP1 owners that elected not to install SP2.

It would be far too costly to test some patchwork quilt of patches they you decided on. If you want to do such testing, go ahead.

Bob

Collapse -
RTM and SP1?
by alexmac / December 21, 2004 7:54 PM PST
In reply to: Worse IMHO

> "Patches are not going to be tested to see what happens to XP SP1 owners that elected not to install SP2"

So are they discontinuing support for SP1 as well as RTM?

I only ask 'cos the WU site only mentions the RTM side (hence this thread), and SP1 has only been out for 2 years (normally get a little longer than that.)

If this is the case surely they should be announcing an end to SP1 support as well.

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifesupsps
would seem to say that support is continuing for SP1 until Sep 2006.

Just as an aside:
Given that WU has the technology to customise itself to the user (available updates etc.) why isn't the news frame the same (i.e. only notifying RTM version users that support for their product is ending)?

Let us know what you think.

Alex.

Collapse -
IMHO
by Carol~ Forum moderator / December 21, 2004 12:31 PM PST

Alex .. and Bob
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I have done everything possible in preparation for SP2 installation. I just haven't taken that final step and realize now that I have to 'JUST DO IT'. I had wanted to avoid 'nagging about every action taken', but it is inevitable.

The worst that can happen is I will run into a problem and have to come here for help. Considering all the people here that are so willing to help, the "worst" is far from a problem. Consider it a done deal and thanks again for your help.

Collapse -
IMHO "RTM Support"
by Carol~ Forum moderator / December 21, 2004 12:35 PM PST

Alex .. and Bob
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I have done everything possible in preparation for SP2 installation. I just haven't taken that final step and realize now that I have to 'JUST DO IT'. I had wanted to avoid 'nagging about every action taken', but it is inevitable.

The worst that can happen is I will run into a problem and have to come here for help. Considering all the people here that are so willing to help, the "worst" is far from a problem. Consider it a done deal and thanks again for your help.

Curcat

Collapse -
Good Luck
by alexmac / December 21, 2004 8:10 PM PST
In reply to: IMHO "RTM Support"

Your very welcome Curcat.

I felt exactly the same about SP2, did loads of research, backed everything up, asked around and STILL felt nervous as Hell when I started the installation.

Total anticlimax.

As for the nagging, the Windows Firewall was about the worst. (Fortunately I'm behind a router so I just turned it off entirely.)

Good Luck with yours.

Alex.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.