Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows XP Repairing MBR

by carsrus10 / December 25, 2010 9:33 PM PST

Please help me repair my MBR, I am not tech savvy. Looking for an easy program that will run in XP to repair my MBR. Please something simple. Thank you

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP Repairing MBR
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP Repairing MBR
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: repair MBR
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 25, 2010 10:07 PM PST
Collapse -
No XP CD
by carsrus10 / December 26, 2010 1:29 AM PST
In reply to: Re: repair MBR

Is there a way to download that program by it's self. I am using Hirens Boot CD, it has other programs, but really don't know how to execute all the other programs on the disk.

Collapse -
You do not mention make ...
by Edward ODaniel / December 26, 2010 4:01 AM PST
In reply to: No XP CD

nor model of computer, just that you do not have the XP Installation CD. I will thus assume that it is an older computer and that it has a floppy drive.

You can go to this link - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994 - and download the installation Floppy images to create a set of 6 XP setup disks that allows you access to the Recovery Console. From there you can run the Fixmbr command.

This link will get you the same set of files in an ISO for creating a bootable CD to access the recovery console - http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/tools/bootdiscs/xp_rec_con.zip

Collapse -
If XP runs, the MBR should be fine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 26, 2010 1:33 AM PST

I can't see why we need to fix a working MBR.

Tell more.

As to the missing XP CD. You're going to need it for other repairs so it's time to recover your copy.
Bob

Collapse -
Working Mbr?
by carsrus10 / December 26, 2010 1:51 AM PST

The system will not boot without the Hiren's boot cd, then it offers options for starting XP. thanks

Collapse -
If a HDD boots and offers
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 26, 2010 2:54 AM PST
In reply to: Working Mbr?

This does not sound like a MBR issue. The MBR issues I see result in "No OS found" type messages.

Given the story so far here's my diagnosis.

1. The MBR is fine.
2. The boot from CD needs help. It's either an incorrectly made CD, the BIOS setting or the CD drive is old and needs replacement.
Bob

Collapse -
2006 Dell Inspiron 9400 32bit processor
by carsrus10 / December 26, 2010 4:33 AM PST

2 weeks ago, i could not start up normally.It would seem to hang up before the OS loaded. I went to the Computer Help Desk at school(poor college student) they used a Window Ultimate Boot Disk,i did not watch everything that was done. When he gave it back he said the Master Book Record was scrambled and it should be fine now. Well it worked fine for a few days then BAAM the same thing, computer would physically start and then hang up with a cursor in the upper left corner and sit there forever, no matter how long it would not work. I went back to the help desk and of course the person who helped me wasn't there and the one that was said they couldn't work on student stuff.
So i got on another computer at a friends, and found this Hirens Boot cd, it has a lot of other fix stuff on it but i don't know how to execute any of it. I have the UWBCD downloaded to my C: drive but i have no idea how to do anything else. Thanks

Collapse -
That's interesting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 26, 2010 7:21 AM PST

My advice is to obtain your XP CD because it is required for proper repairs.

The next that fellow fixes it, be sure to take notes.
Bob

Collapse -
If Hiren's CD starts WinXP OK
by lacsr / December 26, 2010 8:49 PM PST
Collapse -
Easy BC will not work ...
by Edward ODaniel / December 27, 2010 8:55 AM PST

because Windows XP still makes use of the boot.ini file for startup and menu.

Collapse -
How about?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 27, 2010 9:08 AM PST

Years ago I was between a rock and out on site without my XP CD. In a pinch I cloned the drive (used CLONEZILLA) and installed Ubuntu. Ubuntu resized the partitions and installed a working boot record and manager. Then I set it to boot Windows by default.

This is not for the feint but for the desperate.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.