Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

Windows xp repair, now stop error 0x0000007e...please help

by waterman74 / January 1, 2013 2:13 PM PST

Background...hp zt3000 laptop, running up to date xp. I had an issue with my task bar and desktop icons that disappeared after trying to update my intel Wi-Fi card. After trying numerous fixes, with nothing working ( I could get into my wife's user account and her's was fine, in hindsight I should have just used her side) I decided to do a Windows xp repair using the disk that came with the computer. I now I get the above error, and also 0xc000005, 0x80609373, plus a couple more that don't mean a whole lot. No other text as far as drivers etc...

What I've tried... System restore, repair again twice. Moving stuff of boot partition (11gb free), memtest (ok), hd tune (ok), registry restore wizard, prob done other stuff I've forgotten...any advice would be most appreciated. Btw, safe mode does not work using Bart pe, and ubcd4win.
Thanks again

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows xp repair, now stop error 0x0000007e...please help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows xp repair, now stop error 0x0000007e...please help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: repair
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 1, 2013 4:09 PM PST

What exactly do you mean with "xp repair"? The term "repair install" has an exact meaning, but I wonder if that is what you did. And what does the disk say?

Kees

Collapse -
more info
by waterman74 / January 1, 2013 11:04 PM PST
In reply to: Re: repair

The CD says Operating System CD Microsoft windows xp home service pack 1. Yes, I believe what I did was a repair install from recovery. I meant to say the safe mode it's not working, that I'm getting into the operating system using the 2 discs above. I should mention that before I tried updating the Wi-Fi card driver the card would constantly connect and drop it's connection to my router. I want to try uninstalling the card, but I can't find it under hardware. Could I just take it out of the laptop?

Collapse -
Not really clear.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 1, 2013 11:11 PM PST
In reply to: more info

First you talk about "the CD", then about "the 2 discs above".
And what is a "repair install from recovery"?
And what do you mean with "updating".

A laptop without wireless "card" (or whatever type of hardware it is) won't connect wirelessly. So that makes no difference without simply keeping it in and not using it.

I'd try a CLEAN install instead of a REPAIR install. Be sure you have all needed drivers handy on CD or USB-stick.

Kees

Collapse -
sorry
by waterman74 / January 2, 2013 1:57 AM PST
In reply to: Not really clear.

Dirty to be confusing. I did a repair of the Windows installation. Not a repair from the recovery console.www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/138-how-to-repair-windows-xp/
I just wanted to clarify that I was using the Bart pe, and the ubcd4win to access the computer because safe mode was not working. I was thinking if it was a driver issue I could uninstall the updated driver. And it would boot up.

Collapse -
Re: repair
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 2, 2013 3:51 AM PST
In reply to: sorry

That's indeed a repair install. If that doesn't help it might be time for a totally fresh install (they all it "a fresh copy without repairing" on that site), even if you have to pay again for one program.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
About Safe Mode.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2013 11:35 PM PST

When I find Safe Mode not working I find hardware issues or a damaged OS. XP laptops are now old enough to have issues but first things first.

Are the files you must save safe? If so you can then wipe the drive and start over.

-> And after all this time it is very doubtful a WiFi driver is in need of updating. Yes there are companies trying to get folk to do that, part with money but if a driver is working, I don't change it lightly. However you will encounter folk that will change a WiFi driver in hopes of better range but we know that's not why we change that driver.
Bob

Collapse -
files safe
by waterman74 / January 2, 2013 2:13 AM PST
In reply to: About Safe Mode.

Files are safe, but would like to just fix this if possible. I have a program that I would have to pay for again if I reinstall Windows. I'm wondering if I can uninstall drivers or hardware to fix the problem.

Collapse -
So the question is now?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2013 2:19 AM PST
In reply to: files safe

Can you uninstall drivers?

I'm unsure why this is now the question. If you could, you would just do that. If the OS is dinged up so badly that safe mode fails to work and the repair installs fail, then you are staring at the usual banged up OS.

-> If this is costly to reinstall, why not save an image of the OS when it's working? I use CLONEZILLA for that to a folder on some USB HDD. Restore is pretty fast if my OS gets that damaged. Others may supply other titles to backup with so I'll stop here.

I've listened in to calls to MSFT on safe mode failures and they rarely fix the OS. I do want to part with one thing that has helped once in a while so I'll end it with some highlighting.

-> Try CHKDSK on the drive from the command prompt from the recovery console when booted with the usual XP SP2 or XP SP3 CD.

Plenty of web content on how to do that so I wish you the best of luck.
Bob

Collapse -
your opinion
by waterman74 / January 2, 2013 4:25 AM PST

So your opinion is that it is a software problem? Looking up that error online says possible driver problems. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I can borrow a Windows installation disk that has sp2 on it. Should I try another repair using that disk?

Thanks again

Collapse -
It could be.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2013 4:37 AM PST
In reply to: your opinion

But the story is not all here. Even HP does not have all the machine specs at http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?cc=us&lc=en&product=385145 so I rely on you to post all details.

If you want to figure out if it's purely a banged up OS I'll share how we do that at the shop. It's very simple and cheap too. We slip in a temporary HDD and do a quick install of the OS and drivers. We don't bother with Windows Update or such because we just want to see it work with a plain install. If there is a hardware issue this step fails.

As to which XP CD to use. I use the one the OS was installed from.
Bob

Collapse -
specific specs?
by waterman74 / January 2, 2013 6:37 AM PST
In reply to: It could be.

Are there specific specs you need, I'm using my phone to post this, so trying to keep typing to a minimum. I can tell you the Wi-Fi card is not original, and and is an Intel 3000 b/g. The reason I can't uninstall the device or the drivers, is because the card is not showing up under device manager using ubcd4win. I will try the card with Windows sp2 unless that will make it worse. Other than that, I will try pulling the Wi-Fi card, will also try chkdsk.

Collapse -
Ahh, now that I know a little about.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2013 6:47 AM PST
In reply to: specific specs?

At the office we have a pair of HP R3000 AMD laptops. Pretty dated but one of them does not have the standard WiFi card. If we bungled the driver install it won't load but the workaround was thankfully simple. We opened it up and unplugged the WiFi card. The driver fails to find it and it does not load.

In safe mode we could remove it or manually delete its drivers but you can imagine we're mostly programmers and a weasel (the salesperson.)

Bob

Collapse -
ok
by waterman74 / January 2, 2013 7:35 AM PST

Thanks for the tip, will report findings in morning.

Collapse -
update
by waterman74 / January 2, 2013 3:07 PM PST

Things tried tonight.
Removed wireless card...no luck.
Manually moved system restore files to widows/system 32/config file, and renamed... no luck. I don't think the os is getting to the point where it can acknowledge these files before it shuts itself down...
Chkdsk.....no errors, or bad sectors found...

Here is what is not original with the computer. The above wireless card...New hd a few years ago...New backlight for screen few years ago...

It's there anything else I can try? Thanks again.

Collapse -
You can call MSFT
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2013 11:37 PM PST
In reply to: update

For a fee they can try but if it's like most you end up with a big bill to get the advice to reload the OS.

There's a reason why you read advice about backups.
Bob

Collapse -
back up
by waterman74 / January 3, 2013 5:47 AM PST
In reply to: You can call MSFT

I do have a backup, it's several months old. Right now I'm looking at new laptops. One more question....
The hd is partitioned, and it seems I can move my program files to the storage partition and they will still run, at least using the ubcd4win, boot disc. Would it be possible to buy a case for the damaged hd and use it as an external hd with a new laptop?

Collapse -
and...
by waterman74 / January 3, 2013 5:50 AM PST
In reply to: back up

Be able to run the programs from the old laptop?

Collapse -
Sorry no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2013 5:53 AM PST
In reply to: back up

It was 1995 when a fundamental change to how programs were installed and more that means that we can no longer with backup and restore apps like we used to. We are free to backup and restore files but given how many programs need registry entries and more, then backup and restore of the files rarely give us a working program.

This is quite well known to all by now but if we have to go over something this old a topic, we can do that.

-> About the case for the old drive. Yes, you can do that but given the change that happened in 1995, very few programs will run from the old drive.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Here's a link to the MS answer
by wpgwpg / January 2, 2013 11:56 PM PST

Try this link to the MS answer about this.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330182

When you've gotten your system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1 TB external hard drives are about $70 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus todo backup free which you can download from
http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm . That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.

Good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.