Windows Legacy OS forum

windows Xp product key problems

by Valygar / November 29, 2012 5:12 AM PST

I'm trying to repair a windows xp installation

The product key on the actual computer isn't working. I think that means that the version of Windows that is installed isn't the same one it came with. The version of windows that is seemingly different, the one I'm repairing with, it's product key isn't working either. (I checked it on the CD on another PC)

How do I go about repairing/doing a brand new install of windows when the product key found on the disc doesn't even work for said disc?

... All the codes I've tried should work. The Key found on the PC doesn't work, and the Key found on the disc I'm repairing with doesn't work either. I really don't get it at this point.......

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows Xp product key problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows Xp product key problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Add a little more detail.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2012 5:27 AM PST

If you had told me it was a Dell or other name I'd have an answer for you. Those keys are for that maker's issue of this OS. Those keys rarely work with the retail XP CDs you may have. So rarely that I know better.

Collapse -
by Valygar / November 29, 2012 5:39 AM PST

Nah it's a Gateway GT5082

Collapse -
Gateways are even worse than the Dell in this area.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2012 5:47 AM PST
In reply to: reply

I've never seen Gateway or Acer numbers work on a retail issued XP OS CD.

Now you know. Try Acer/Gateway's site and it's cheaper to order the restore media than it is to get a new license and spend days sorting out drivers.

Collapse -
Trying to resurrect my brothers ancient gateway
by Valygar / November 29, 2012 6:06 AM PST

I figured out beside the product key on the Gateway that the OS is 'Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005'. It's my brother computer and I don't remember seeing a disc for that version of windows. I'm trying to repair it with Windows XP Pro SP2 which is from my other PC, which code should it be asking for then?

Shouldn't the code work for the disc I'm repairing it with? I'm just confused as to which code it's even asking me for

Collapse -
No the code is not supposed to work with most found XP's
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2012 7:40 AM PST

I'm going out on a limb here but XP Media Center 2005 was never a retail version. I saw OEM packs years ago but most were tailored and locked to the maker's PCs.

It's good you are learning this first hand. Many folk don't get to do this.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.