Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Windows XP Pro Takes a long time to restart or shutdown.

by rystheguy / March 29, 2004 12:30 PM PST

Just recently, windows has began taking a REALLY long time to restart. Once I click restart, nothing seems to happen. The only thing I notice happening at first is that the icons in my system tray get unloaded. After that, it takes about a minute until Windows begins to disappear. The funny thing is that it only happens about 3/4 of the times I restart, and it seems to have no relation to the amount of time it had been running before the restart. I can guarantee that there are not any viruses, or spyware/adware on my machine. Is there anyone who has any ideas as to why this would be happening? Thanks for your help!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP Pro Takes a long time to restart or shutdown.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP Pro Takes a long time to restart or shutdown.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Windows XP Pro Takes a long time to restart or shutdown.
by jmellis / March 29, 2004 9:59 PM PST

The first place you need to look is at any software you may have recently installed. Drivers from new hardware devices could also be the culprit. Look at anything you have done or installed recently and you will probably find the problem. If this is the case you can usually find an update for the driver/software causing the problem.

Mike

Collapse -
Re:Re:Windows XP Pro Takes a long time to restart or shutdown.
by rystheguy / March 30, 2004 9:35 AM PST

No new software or drivers. All drivers are of the newest version. Thanks anyway.

Collapse -
by james817 / March 29, 2004 11:38 PM PST

unloading "dll"s,clearing page file, and windows indexing will slow shutdown. try cacheman xp. it may solve some problems

Collapse -
by rystheguy / March 30, 2004 9:36 AM PST

I currently use CachemanXP, and i have windows set so it doesn't clear the pagefile, indexing service is off, and the "unload dll" option in CachemanXP doesn't seem to change the wait time whether it is on or off. (Just curious, should I have it set to automatically unload them or not for better performance?) Thanks.

Collapse -
by maggietoo9 / March 31, 2004 10:07 AM PST

How do you "turn off" the things you say can slow shutdown (unloading DLLs, clearing page file, and windows indexing)?
Thanks,
Ann

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Windows XP Pro Takes a long time to restart or shutdown.
by rystheguy / March 31, 2004 10:21 AM PST

You can turn off Indexing by clicking Start, Run, Then typing services.msc
Once the services window opens, find "Indexing Service", right click and select properties, then stop it and set the service to disabled.
You can also stop it on certain drives by right clicking on the hard drive you want to turn it off on in "My Computer" and choose properties, then uncheck "Allow indexing service....." and click ok. Click ok to any boxes asking if you are sure.
The first method I described is more extensive, and better for speeding up windows.

I believe that the other two are off by default, but you can check by clicking "Start", run, and typing regedit. Then navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

and setting the value of "Clearpagefileatshutdown" to zero if it is currently 1.

I don't remember how to change the unloading of dll's from the registry, but all of these changes can also be done with the program CachemanXP. You can find a trial version at the following website: http://www.outertech.com/index.php?_charisma_page=downloads
any changes you make with the program will stay after your trial is over, or you uninstall it. All of the options are under the "Tweaks" tab of the program. Hope this helps!
Ryan

Collapse -
by rystheguy / March 30, 2004 9:34 AM PST

I was mistaken in my original message. It seems, upon further testing, that the slowdown is time related. If I restart within the first couple of minutes, there is no problem. It is if I am in windows for a longer time that the problem appears. In response to the first follow up, all of my drivers are updated, and no new hardware was added since it last restarted properly, and no new drivers installed. In response to #2, I currently use CachemanXP, and i have windows set so it doesn't clear the pagefile, indexing service is off, and the "unload dll" option in CachemanXP doesn't seem to help at all either. (Just curious, should I have it set to automatically unload them or not?) Thanks again.
Please let me know about any more ideas.

Collapse -
by stu-eyris / March 30, 2004 7:41 PM PST

what do u have running in your system tray this can have a dramtic affect on start up shut down and restart times.

only untick itmes which you know what they are quick time neuro etc.

defrag your hard drive this will impromve start up and shut down times

as you use your system parts of programs and files will be left in the memory, i kno about xps ram managment is ment to be gd but hey its xp what do u exect?

xp has to wipe all of thes before shut down to avoid phiscial memory dumps

hope that helps sut

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Windows XP Pro Takes a long time to restart or shutdown.
by Odin6 / March 31, 2004 3:56 AM PST

Suggest that you go to the C: prompt and using

EDIT CLEARPREF.BAT key in the following:

del C:\WINDOWS\PREFETCH\*.* /Q

Save it into C:\WINDOWS and run it from the Start Run facility.

e.g. Run CLEARPREF.BAT

Collapse -
HijackThis list added:
by rystheguy / March 31, 2004 9:27 AM PST

I have a very small number of items that are running in my system tray. I have also disabled all of the unnecessary services that I do not use (With help from Blackviper.com)
Here is a log from HijackThis. Mayme there's something there? Thanks!

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 8:25:10 PM, on 31/03/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\CACHEM~1\CachemanXP.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\DIRECT~1\DUService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\taskswitch.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\GEARSec.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Antivirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\StartupMonitor.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~2\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\Program Files\Lexmark X74-X75\lxbbbmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\DirectUpdate\DUControl.exe
C:\Program Files\Lexmark X74-X75\lxbbbmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\iTouch\iTouch.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Antivirus\SAVScan.exe
C:\Program Files\Weather Watcher\ww.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\SLEE503.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\MouseWare\system\em_exec.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~2\SPEEDD~1\NOPDB.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\PowerQuest\Drive Image 7.0\Agent\PQV2iSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\WinKey\WinKey.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative Element Power Tools\Startup.exe
C:\WINDOWS\webshots.scr
C:\Program Files\Opera7\opera.exe
E:\Desk\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Antivirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CoolSwitch] C:\WINDOWS\System32\taskswitch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Run StartupMonitor] StartupMonitor.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Lexmark X74-X75] "C:\Program Files\Lexmark X74-X75\lxbbbmgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DUControl] C:\Program Files\DirectUpdate\DUControl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Utility] Logi_MwX.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [zBrowser Launcher] C:\Program Files\Logitech\iTouch\iTouch.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WeatherWatcher] C:\Program Files\Weather Watcher\ww.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Shareaza] "C:\Program Files\Shareaza\Shareaza.exe" -tray
O4 - Startup: Creative Element Power Tools Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files\Creative Element Power Tools\Startup.exe
O4 - Startup: Webshots.lnk = C:\Program Files\Webshots\Launcher.exe
O4 - Global Startup: WinKey.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinKey\WinKey.exe
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O16 - DPF: {00B71CFB-6864-4346-A978-C0A14556272C} (Checkers Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/msgrchkr.cab
O16 - DPF: {8E0D4DE5-3180-4024-A327-4DFAD1796A8D} (MessengerStatsClient Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/MessengerStatsClient.cab
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab

Collapse -
by rystheguy / March 31, 2004 9:31 AM PST

When I do click restart/shutdown, nothing seems to happen at all, except the hard drive light stays on, so I know there is activity. Would it be clearing memory or something? Eventually, the desktop disappears and it actually shuts down. If the computer has been on for a long time, it sometimes takes 5 minutes to shutdown Windows.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.