Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

Windows XP pro crashes during installation

by pgh42 / January 18, 2013 10:04 PM PST

I have replaced the Motherboard on a Desktop PC and I can't get Windows XP Pro to completely install. - It either freezes or reboots randomly during 'Copying Files' or later stages.

System
Motherboard: Asus P5NSLI v2.00G BIOS v1801
Processor: Intel Core2Duo 2.4GHz E4600
Memory: 2GB DDR2 667
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon x1650 512MB PCIE
Hard Drive: 160GB Seagate
DVDRW Drive: Optiarc.
Power Supply: 400W

(All PCI cards etc removed, set up as above with Monitor, PS2 mouse and PS2 keyboard only)

Things already tried to solve this issue:

I have substituted with known good devices - Processor, Memory (one stick only also tried) , Hard Drive (single partition), DVDRW Drive, CMOS Battery, IDE Cables, Windows XP Pro SP2 Disk (Genuine Microsoft Copy)

I have removed the battery and reset the BIOS to default values.

Have tried (during Windows install) pressing F5 when prompted for F6 and selected alternatively "Standard PC" and "ACPI Multiprocessor PC". (This was one suggestion I found on the web)

With both drives on IDE Channel 1 as well as on separate IDE channels.

Notes: I sometimes see on the BIOS Screen "IDE Channel 1 no 80 conductor cable installed" (there is) and then either "CMOS checksum error - defaults loaded" OR "Warning! Now system is in Safe Mode. Please resetting CPU or Memory Frequency in the CMOS setup"

Sometimes a restart after a change will yield a completely blank screen and it will require another one to get it to boot.

On BIOS Screen "Installed memory" and "Tested OK" memory values differ.) This is still the case if I substitute with a different memory module)

Any help with this issue would be gratefully received as I am at my wits end!!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP pro crashes during installation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP pro crashes during installation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: XP install errors
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 18, 2013 11:04 PM PST

Since you changed everything relevant except the new motherboard, that seems the way to go.

Did you already try to boot and run from a Linux disk? To install Linux? That's free. Installing Windows Vista and Windows 7 as a test is free also, since you don't need a license code to do that.

Kees

Collapse -
problem fixed
by pgh42 / January 21, 2013 2:56 AM PST
In reply to: Re: XP install errors

Kees,

Many thanks for responding. It was the Graphics Card!! ... I believed this was good and didn't have a substitute card available at the time. Regards Peter

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.