Desktops

General discussion

Windows XP or Windows Vista Basic?

by bagelred / April 25, 2007 11:21 PM PDT

Great deal at Dell for a basic computer with 512 MB memory. My question is, should I get XP or Vista Basic? Will Vista Basic run on 512 MB?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP or Windows Vista Basic?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP or Windows Vista Basic?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
with 512mb, stick with xp
by ramarc / April 25, 2007 11:23 PM PDT

the pc should include a free upgrade to vista you can cash in later if you so desire.

Collapse -
No it won't
by bagelred / April 25, 2007 11:31 PM PDT

It won't be a free upgrade. They are offering XP or Vista Basic - period.

Collapse -
xp for now
by jconner / April 28, 2007 1:14 PM PDT
In reply to: No it won't

I had to make that decision and based on the newness of Vista I chose XP Pro. This was after running 6 months on Vista Beta and RC1. I really liked it but ran into applications that did not run and hardware that did not have drivers. Some still don't, so my decision was/is to wait until the first Service Pack comes out and vendors get their Vista versions running. Then I will make the change. It does need more memory to perform well and in some cases just equal to XP with less memory.

Collapse -
Vista and Software
by nworley / April 28, 2007 5:01 AM PDT
Collapse -
Vista
by doshie2007 / May 4, 2007 9:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Vista and Software

Vista Premium needs at least 1gb minimum, that is what I have. I have not had any problems since I downloaded all of my drivers. not all of the hardware has new driveres , it is worth the time to download what is available. At the beginning I did not like Vista, but now it is like having a new computer.
If you plan on playing games, 2 gb is better as far as speed.
I would reccomend Vista Premium over Vista Basic, it is worth the money.

Collapse -
XP!!!
by YaMomma007 / April 28, 2007 2:00 PM PDT

XP is a very reliable operating system unlike vista (so far). vista has caused many o problems on lots of systems (especially hps) and hasnt worked out all of its kinks yet. My personal opinion is that vista just looks really nice and fancy but the interface is really difficult to navigate through and it is really hard on your video card. Also it might not run well on 512 mb of ram, it will run but not as well as XP would run on 512 ram. Also home basic does not have very many features or extra programs.

Collapse -
but on the other hand...
by YaMomma007 / April 28, 2007 2:03 PM PDT
In reply to: XP!!!

it will be hard to upgrade to vista later because there are many program and system conflicts when trying to install vista over XP. im not saying its not possible but its a pain in the rear end.

Collapse -
For the time being, stick with XP.
by The Masked Villain / May 4, 2007 11:43 AM PDT

It sounds like your getting your self a pretty basic system. I think that for now, you would be best to get XP. There really isn't that much difference (functionally) between VISTA basic, and XP. Also, XP will run all of today's software, VISTA can't make that claim. In the future, when you upgrade your memory to 1, or 2 MB, you can upgrade to VISTA Home Premium. It's there where you will see a difference between VISTA, and XP. If you'r buying a new PC, spend the few dollars more and get a PC that will run VISTA.
Good Luck, and best regards,
TMV

Collapse -
Go with basic if plan to ugrade to Ultimate only
by intrepi / May 4, 2007 12:07 PM PDT

Vista Basic is not a version of Vista that you'd want nor want to keep and with that in mind, consider Vista Ultimate before you decide as you can upgrade from Vista Basic to Ultimate for less. If you go with XP you will not be able to upgrade to Vista Ultimate for the same amount of money. Choose very carefully, read the license terms and conditions before doing anything as I wasn't able to agree to them so I'm passing on Vista. I'm not saying Vista is bad or it won't improve as I think it will be much better when SP1 comes out. I've seen full versions of Vista Ultimate for sale at less than retail price on usedvictoria.com as I'm not alone in my decision not to go with Vista. It's a matter of choice and you should not take a biased opinion on it.

Collapse -
Sounds
by xFulcrumx / May 4, 2007 1:10 PM PDT

Sounds to me you alrdy answeared your own question with some of the replies Ive read. 512 ram is a joke btw.

Collapse -
Things to consider before buying this
by intrepi / May 4, 2007 2:05 PM PDT

First, it is highly unlikely that you will want to stay with Vista Basic
as you will upgrade to a different version which will cost you more money. I'm sure that Dell would not sell you Vista Basic without being able to run on 512 mb so that is not a concern. I'd be more concerned about what version of Vista you would want and decide which version you want and order a laptop with that version as it is going to cost you more for memory and the different version but not as much as it would if you bought this laptop with Vista Basic. My advice is don't buy anything with Vista Basic buy it with Media Center or Ultimate with 1mb of ram as minimum but preferrably with 2 mb as Vista in these versions are memory users.

Collapse -
Windows XP
by prince10bee / May 4, 2007 2:36 PM PDT

For only 512MB I would stick to XP. You proboably CAN run Vista Basic but I would recomend 1 gig or more of RAM to run Vista Basic.

Collapse -
Windows XP or Windows Vista Basic?
by BFG69 / May 6, 2007 7:45 AM PDT

stick with windows xp
vista is a pain there`s not many drivers for it and its a pain geting software working.
so stick with xp

Collapse -
Vista, the real memory HOG!!!!!
by jcrobso / May 8, 2007 1:45 AM PDT

UNLESS you have a very highend PC with a 64bit or dual core processor and 1gb(2gb better) of RAM go with XP!!!!! John

Collapse -
If you're on a budget, be aware that Vista is a virus.
by While You Were Art / May 9, 2007 5:07 AM PDT

Vista Basic is basically a virus to computer hardware if you don't have more than 512MB. My HP laptop came with 512mb and Vista Basic. The hard drive was almost constantly working away as virtual memory to compensate for the lack of memory. That said, it is do-able if you have some basic knowledge of Windows. You can use the msconfig command to stop non essential programs from running at startup. Check the startup list against Google to see which you can safely disable. You can then adjust Vista's performance settings to run for performance rather than appearance. These things make a big difference, quieten down your hard drive a lot, reduce heat and so on. Otherwise, as I say, Vista Basic is a virus of the very worst kind. Is that Microsoft's fault or the computer supplier who put Vista onto a computer with only 512MB. Probably the latter, but even so... That aside, you have the obvious issues of compatibility. Vista's time hasn't arrived, yet. Stick with XP and you will be a lot less frustrated and retain a quality of life. I'm tempted to say that to those on a tight budget, Vista is far worse of a nightmare than was the half baked product that was Windows Millennium. When I bumped the memory up, though, Vista ran as fast as XP. Is that progress, though!

Collapse -
Not necessarily a virus

Ive done the same thing, but if you don't run sidebar, and put the theme to Windows Classic it wouldnt be that bad. Don't get me wrong, my 'top was really slow until i got a gig stick and threw it in. I haven't had any compatibility or software or driver problems, so given my expirence, I would go with Vista, as it is LIGHTYEARS ahead of XP. Case and point; I've tried to hook up my laptop via SVIDEO to my tv, (when I had XP) and couldn't get it to work. A few weeks after I got Vista, I plugged the TV in to try a few things, and ALL BY ITSELF it adjusted the resoultion and refresh rate for the TV. Microsoft has done a great job with Vista, and contrary to all the pessimists and *ignorant* people (aka mac users, specifically ones who believe in those funny but biased switch commercials)I think its going to be a success story for microsoft (not that windows already hasn't been one) But yeah go for vista, get a gig if you can, but if you can't get it with 512 and go and buy a gig stick later.
Zach Thurston

Collapse -
XP
by chemicalrubber / May 11, 2007 5:39 PM PDT

Vista runs at 512MB minimum of RAM, 1GB for Premium. Since Home Basic does not contain the Premium features at all, you are better off getting XP. Vista Home Basic does not have any features worth having.

Collapse -
SP1 - when?
by DH1 / May 12, 2007 4:51 AM PDT
In reply to: XP

I've read many will not get Vista until SP1 is available.

Based on Microsoft's history and/or current rumor when will SP1 be developed/released? Weeks, months, years?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.