Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows XP not booting (safe mode not working)

by Helphin / January 26, 2006 11:18 AM PST

Hello,
I was doing a routine install of AVG Antivirus on a client's computer. Once the antivirus was installed, I Updated the def files from the internet.

Upon restart of the computer it froze... restarted it and it went into the menu where you can choose between safe mode, safe mode with networking etc etc..

If i choose start windows normally it freezes right there at that screen.
If i choose last known good configuration it will change into a black screen and freeze there.
If i choose safe mode (any of them) it will show the different files being loaded and then freeze before going into safe mode...

This has me completely baffeled... i have installed AVG numerous times on different computers without any problems.
I have never had a situation where i cannot even go into safe mode...

Does anyone have any ideas? (i have multiple computers at home so i can plug the hard drives directly into another one to access it and troubleshoot...)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP not booting (safe mode not working)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP not booting (safe mode not working)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
bad system builders...
by Helphin / January 26, 2006 11:37 AM PST

Most of those fixes are within a running windows.
As for the other ones, i cant really re-install windows as i do not have a supplied cd key or cd...
(i was not the system builder, whoever did build it did not include the windows cd or a cd key)

Collapse -
Odd.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2006 11:42 AM PST
In reply to: bad system builders...

"If the problem prevents you from starting in safe mode"

is noted in that link. And you open other chapters for other methods such as command line modes and use of RSTRUI.EXE from such command line, disabling services in the recovery console, etc. In short, all this won't fit in this small space but the link will.

Bob

PS. If a pirated OS falls in the woods, does anyone hear you scream?

Collapse -
No luck
by Helphin / January 28, 2006 12:38 AM PST
In reply to: Odd.

Tried again with recovery console it works up until i need to choose the windows installation.. when i choose it (the only one thats on the disk... ) it freezes

so no safe mode, no recovery console, no windows...

any options?

(i would reinstall but as i said before the customer dosent have the windows license key... i could track down whoever built it for her i guess...)

Collapse -
Looks like a corrupted OS. When I see that, I...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2006 12:52 AM PST
In reply to: No luck

Boot the XP SP2 (home/pro...) and use the Repair option. If that fails I move to a Parallel Install if there are files that need to be scrapped off.

-> Given there is no OS CD, they could use one from another machine of the same type. Be sure to find the license key on the box or such.

If it's pirated, shady then that's the breaks and they are feeling the hit.

Bob

Collapse -
thats the way it goes
by Helphin / January 28, 2006 12:56 AM PST

yea there isin't much i can do.. i will try plugging the hard drive directly into my computer and do whatever i can from there...

thank you for your help

Collapse -
help
by yachna_123 / May 30, 2012 8:14 PM PDT

hey i experienced the same problem today..can you help me out..how did u rectify it
helppppppppp

Collapse -
Re: freezing
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 30, 2012 8:31 PM PDT
In reply to: help

Quite unlikely that the OP from 2006 will answer you. And even more unlikely that his solution (if he had one) is the same as the solution you need.

Just for reference: the OP's problem was "system not booting after installing the 2006 version of AVG Antivirus".

The discussion seems to lead to the conclusion that XP needs to be reinstalled. That certainly is a good solution if the issue isn't caused by failing hardware and you have the necessary disks.
But, of course, there might be other options. But you don't provide any useful information to give even a hint of those.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.