Computer Help forum

General discussion

Windows XP: no network connections, but internet works

by ninle40 / October 29, 2003 9:00 AM PST

Hi everyone, I just reinstalled Windows Xp Pro and all updates from windows update site, and everything on my computer is working fine, but I have no netwowk connections listed in My Network Places. I currently use Adelphia cable service to connect to the internet, and I am able to get onto the internet, use AOL IM, and email just fine--there is just no icon in Network Connections for my broadband connection. I have tried using the Add New Connection process, but upon completion there is still no icon. Obviously, this issue is not keeping me from using my computer, but it is becoming an annoying problem since I don't know why this has occured. Thanks in advance for any help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP: no network connections, but internet works
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP: no network connections, but internet works
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Windows XP: no network connections, but internet works
by zingos / October 29, 2003 11:36 AM PST

I may have read the question wrong (bad eyes, ya know?), but here's my answer:

Both XP Home AND XP Pro have "built in" support for cable internet, and no additional software needs to be installed. In essence, you don't need the icon, and therefore your computer is percieving your attempts as acts of futility...

Besides: even if you had the icon, there ain't much you can do with it... it's kinda extraneous.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Windows XP: no network connections, but internet works
by ninle40 / October 30, 2003 8:52 AM PST

Zingos,

Thanks for your reply. You did read my ? correctly, I was only wondering because I used to have an icon for my broadband connection before I reinstalled Windows (same settings, same service, etc.). I'd like to have the icon if only for qucik reference for IP address, DNS, etc., as well as the ability to control the Internet Connection Firewall.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Windows XP: no network connections, but internet works
by HerbChong / October 31, 2003 8:51 AM PST

if you right click on your Network Places icon and choose properties, does it show your connection? if it does, you can create a shortcut to it or change its properties to show an icon on the taskbar when you are connected.

Herb...

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Windows XP: no network connections, but internet works
by ninle40 / November 1, 2003 3:25 AM PST

No, it does not show any connections at all, and this is where I used to have the connections listed.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Windows XP: no network connections, but internet works
by HerbChong / November 1, 2003 8:32 PM PST

My Network Places doesn't have to have any connections. it only shows ones you have saved or that Windows has decided are important. you have to check under Properties of My Network Places to see all the active ones and create a shortcut for one under My Network Places to see it there.

Herb...

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Windows XP: no network connections, but internet works

I apologize if I wasn't clear before: it is under properties of my network places (network connections) where there are no connections listed at all.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Windows XP: no network connections, but internet works

are you using a USB netword card? if you are, there frequently isn't any icon. a plain network card that goes inside your computer or a modem will show up, but USB frequently doesn't. does the documentation for your network card say anything specific about Windows XP Pro?

Herb....

Collapse -
by danielpantano / October 29, 2003 12:00 PM PST

I can not connect to my e-mail on outlook express

Collapse -
by zingos / October 29, 2003 12:02 PM PST

What's the problem? Does it give you an error message?

Collapse -
by HerbChong / October 30, 2003 8:34 AM PST

posting an unrelated message on the end of a thread means that no-one will see it. like zingos says, what happens instead?

Herb...

Collapse -
by ninle40 / November 5, 2003 2:14 PM PST

Sorry for the new reply; I guess there's a limit to replies for one message. Anyway, my network card is not a usb card. I have a Netgear pci network card, which I had before the reinstall of windows. All drivers have been updated via netgear's site.

Collapse -
by HerbChong / November 6, 2003 10:37 AM PST

yeah, the new Forum software is weird.

if it is a real network card, it shouldn't be hiding itself then. are there utility programs for the network card that you might have to install? what kinds of settings are there for the card under Device Manager?

Herb...

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Windows XP: no network connections, but internet works
by ninle40 / November 7, 2003 3:45 AM PST

Nope, no utilities or anything like them. The card came with no software, since all versions of windows auto detect it. Under device manager, there are no settings for anything which would appear to work: I have MAC address, network media, and receive buffer content. Otherwise, no special software or settings, and I did nothing differently when I orignally installed the card and I did have an icon for the connection.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Windows XP: no network connections, but internet works
by HerbChong / November 8, 2003 9:46 PM PST

well, i am stumped then. the only thing i can think of is that there is some setting in Device Manager for the card that is affecting this unless there is something about your login settings.

Herb....

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Windows XP: no network connections, but internet works
by ninle40 / November 9, 2003 12:48 AM PST

No problem; thanks for your time and assistance. I'm going to contact Netgear and see what I can find out.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.