Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Windows XP Mode now accessible to more PCs

by Donna Buenaventura / March 18, 2010 11:17 AM PDT

From Windows 7 Team Blog:

We're announcing an update to Windows XP Mode today that will make it a more accessible to PCs in small and midsize businesses who want to migrate to Windows 7 Professional but have applications that still require Windows XP. Windows XP Mode will no longer require hardware virtualization technology to run. This change makes it extremely easy for businesses to use Windows XP Mode to address any application incompatibility roadblocks they might have in migrating to Windows 7. Windows XP Mode will of course continue to use hardware virtualization technology such as Intel VT (Intel Virtualization Technology) or AMD-V if available. You can find more information and download the update which will go live later today here.

More details in

Note: Before you can download XP Mode and Virtual PC, you will need to allow installation of Windows Action Technology (WAT). Open Windows Update application to download Windows Activation Technologies Update for Windows 7 (KB971033) or simply visit, choose your download and allow WAT to run/install.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP Mode now accessible to more PCs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP Mode now accessible to more PCs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Install Update for Windows 7 (KB977206)
by Donna Buenaventura / March 18, 2010 11:28 PM PDT

Install this update to remove the prerequisites required to run Windows Virtual PC and XP mode. The prerequisites include a processor which supports hardware assisted virtualization (HAV) which is also enabled in the BIOS. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

Windows 7 32-bit:
Windows 7 64-bit:

Collapse -
by davis287 / July 3, 2010 6:13 PM PDT

I have seen that if you are in College and have a College Student Email address that you can buy WINDOWS 7 PRO 64 BIT for as low as only $30 . WOW !!

But it would be real nice if Seniors age 62+ could also get deals like that since we are living only on SSI which is a very small fixed Income.

I sent an Email to Bill Gates but all i got was a note saying that Bill & his wife have Charitable Foundations to apply to ,, but they are all geared to helping other Foundations in other coun tries .

Seems like all the USA RICH Moguls only help foundations in other countries and the poor people in USA are not in line for ZIP !!

I would love to have a college email address so i could get some of the very low priced software that is offered to college Students .

So I wish CNET would forward this note to Bill Gates and Suggest they offer the Student Lor price deals to Senior Citizens as well ,, ok ??

Collapse -
Wrong person.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 3, 2010 10:18 PM PDT
In reply to: WINDOWS 7 PRO 64 BIT

That person is not running the company. It's a common misconception.

Collapse -
Students are a promising market.
by Kees Bakker / July 3, 2010 10:29 PM PDT
In reply to: WINDOWS 7 PRO 64 BIT

They can buy Microsoft products their whole long life. Senior citizens have a much shorter life expectancy, so make for less future revenue. That's why such marketing primarily focuses on students.

Same, for example, with banks. Students get a cheap creditcard, lower credit rates etc. In the hope they stick to the company when they grow up and start making money.

Of course, if you buy a new PC with Dell or HP or so, you get Windows 7 Pro for some $30 (or less) included in the package. But there's no retail upgrade version to use on your existing PC for that price for you.

Collapse -
I really don't understand
by Jimmy Greystone / March 19, 2010 1:15 AM PDT

I really don't understand how this is supposed to be particularly useful. A lot of this virtualization stuff was going into CPUs as early as the Pentium 4, and it's even in some of the newer Atom CPUs, but you probably wouldn't want to be running a virtualized OS on a netbook anyway.

The bit about the new and "improved" WGA program being required makes me think that it's just a kind of underhanded way of pushing this (for now) optional program. Because without hardware virtualization, something like XP Mode would likely be next to unusable.

Collapse -
Windows XP Mode now accessible to more PCs
by crystalbox2 / March 20, 2010 12:05 PM PDT

this is good news

Collapse -
Windows XP Mode ???
by jdlaser / March 26, 2010 10:35 AM PDT

I was suckered to come to this site hoping they came to their sinses and would allow "Windows XP Mode" in "Windows 7 Home Premium" where from the start it should have been. Microsoft slapped us in the face and some didn't feel it. I don't hear the outrage there should be. Most uses of Win 7 is "Home Premium". Windows 8 will never darken my door.

I don't care to track this or anything else till the starts, that I want to hear...

Collapse -
The Microsoft Win 7 scam
by yippee12 / June 24, 2010 11:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Windows XP Mode ???

I agree completely jdlaser! I have an old dying XP and was looking to replace it with Win 7 (only because XP is being fazed out which I don't know why because it is a better Win version than either Win 7 or Vista) but now I see I need to buy the quite more expensive version of Win 7 in order to be able to put some of my XP files on the new computer and be able to run them. I don't need the "Professional" version. I don't own a business (is everyone who has XP supposedly a business owner?) What a scan!
I definately feel the SLAP and I am just so tired of all the greedy businesses out there. Maybe we should all voice our opinion to Microsoft and boycott Win 7 until they come to their senses? Does Microsoft REALLY need the extra money from Home Professional?? Don't they get enough from all the other stuff they sell??

Collapse -
Please start a new discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 24, 2010 11:56 PM PDT

I have been moving our office over to Windows 7 and outside on one and only one device we don't need XP Mode anywhere in this small office. Sorry no Windows 2008 server so no need for Pro either.

Please post some details so we can see why you think you need Windows 7 Pro.

Collapse -
Windows 7 for the rest of the world.
by sheldontraceySWT123 / March 26, 2010 9:25 PM PDT

First I am not asking for help.

MicroSoft should have included XP Mode in all versions of Windows 7. Not just the business versions. There are a lot of software packages the need to be upgraded because of Vista and 7. Upgrading to the new OS's means people will have to upgrade almost all of their software. That can be a expensive process which not everyone can afford. If you are going to come out with a new OS it should be backward compatible.
Linux is starting to look good to a lot of the people that I have been talking to. Not just the little people, but also business and schools. MicroSoft may be getting to big for their britches. Its' time for them to step back and look at where they started.

Collapse -
windows 7 bait and switch
by spywriter / April 3, 2010 10:03 AM PDT

I have been using windows since WINDOWS CAME INTO BEING! One of the techies who helped me this week, a nice young woman from, or probably in, India, told me I had built my first computer 6 years before she was born! I think you could say I'm a loyal customer. I even defend MS when people talk about linux. I used to program in "C for Windows"(not sure of the name) then graduated to Visual Studio 6.0. I have written a number of small utilities and games for windows, just for the fun of it. I resisted the temptation to upgrade to VS 2005 and 2008, as I couldn't justify the expense. VS 6.0 is just one of MANY programs I have that will not run under windows 7 (and I haven't got around to trying more than a handful):

--Photoshop LE (maybe an update available)

--VS 6.0 (why should MS make this work for me since they can blackmail me into buying at least VS 2008?)

--Libronix digital library doesn't run (maybe an update will)

--My HP printer has no drivers that are full featured (I can't query the level of ink for example)

I have spent the last week struggling to import my messages and addresses into OUTLOOK2007 with colossal wasteage of time for me and for Microsoft support personnel. By the way, I got very good help, but as my 90 day support ran out on MARCH 6 I had to pay $49 US for the privilege.

BUT the most frustrating problem is that I keep getting refused permission to do almost everything. I have a separate hard drive with my XP on it, and I cannot access most of my data. I need "permission" from "the administrator" -- presumably me!

My contact with Microsoft support personnel has been positive, but on the whole, I think MS is behaving like the schoolyard bully -- you can have a problem when I say you have a problem. The issue about not having XP mode with Home premium is typical. For me, XP mode was a selling point. Now I am screwed. I have not been able to do any of the things got a computer for (writing, emailing) for about ten days now.

Like the other poster, I will not be installing windows 8 and in fact, I may just go back to XP, where everything worked.

On Wednesday (I'm out of town on Tuesday) I will be calling or emailing half a dozen software manufacturers to find updates for many of my favourite programmes.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!

Collapse -
OK, I was mouthy!
by spywriter / April 3, 2010 10:52 AM PDT

I fixed the permissions thing, so I withdraw my whining about it. I just had to set it that "anybody can read and copy anything". . .
However, I believe my other comments are valid.

Collapse -
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!
by dksullivan_99 / May 7, 2010 11:59 AM PDT

I Am not a techie or anything. I can install hardware and upgrade my pc but that is it. No writing programs or anything. But I had Win XP and when I installed my win 7 home version, I just had it put on my reg harddrive that my xp was on so I wouldn't lose all my files. Anyway, to make a long story short. I can run programs in Win XP or whatever. I just figured since I already had the xp that is why it is doing it. But when I boot up in the morning, I have to pick which something or other that I want and win & is always highlighted. If I don't click it will automaticlly go to win 7. But if I have a problem with a program, the little box that solves problems for you comes up and says this program runs only in xp and in sets it up for me.
All I know is I put both programs on the same drive and didn't erase xp. This may not help at all. And I may have done something weird and it will never happen again.
but hopes this helps you.

Collapse -
(NT) That's called a Dual Boot system.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 7, 2010 8:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!
Collapse -
Question about dual boot system
by yippee12 / June 24, 2010 11:56 PM PDT

So if I have Win 7 home version and I have an old XP system that I am fazing out, can I put the XP system on my new Win 7 computer with out a problem and be able to use both on the one computer by toggeling back and forth?

Collapse -
"can I put the XP system on my new Win 7 computer with out a
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 24, 2010 11:59 PM PDT

"can I put the XP system on my new Win 7 computer with out a problem"

I have to write no here. Most owners will call the steps and requirements to do this a problem so while it is possible I think what is needed is to tell why you think what you have needs XP.

Collapse -
am using it..
by Mannar_Mannan / April 6, 2010 10:49 AM PDT

i am now using windows xp mode through virtual pc..find it very useful..

Collapse -
Dual Booting Works!
by pauly1651 / May 16, 2010 2:03 AM PDT
In reply to: am using it..

One hard drive for Windows 7, and one hard drive for Windows XP. That's a dual boot system, and I have used it that way with zero problems. when I want to run an XP friendly application, I boot into XP, when I want to run W7, I boot into that. It's simple. And it's not so annoying, just choose the O.S. you want when the dual boot screen comes up. Forget the "XP Mode" garbage in Windows 7. Also, be sure you have a PC that is fast; has the RAM at least 4GB, a 7200RPM SATA drive, Dual Core CPU etc. Besides, W7 has some nice features built into it that help the user install apps, and hardware that were "made" for W XP. Most people who have trouble with Windows 7, just don't know what they are doing. Also, how long is Microsoft going to "support" XP?
They may start to tell us that they don't?

Collapse -
XP Mode turns out to be a 95% solution, good enough for most
by jimojimocnet / June 12, 2010 3:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Dual Booting Works!

I'll put my 2 cnets in here (typo intended).

Well I've been using XP Mode/Virtual PC for a month or so on Win7 64-bit. I have to say that for the most part, it fills the bill.

The only sticking point is iffy USB support, I am able to attach camera cards, iPod, and printers. The one device I can't get xp mode to attach is a Blackberry.

But all in all, it's been an extremely useful tool to run my older 32-bit-only programs. When running in full-screen mode, I honestly can't tell it's a vpc, the speed and general response are just as my old xp was. The network drive mapping (to your 'real' hard drives) is so much improved--the old vpc2007 mapped them via network card, so you got 100mbps (even if you had gigabit card, the vpc virtual NIC was 100), now it's 'mapped' but the throughput is essentially as if it's an actual harddrive, so I can open large files direct from my win7 drives without having to schlep them over the the virtual drive first.

I've got an i7 with 6gigs ram, so I allot 2 gigs to the vpc and leave it running 24/7 (I can also hibernate it and reclaim most of the memory if i need to--and it comes out of hibernation in a few seconds). The i7's virtualization makes it run as fast as my old core-2 duo xp box.

So...I have to give props where props are due...I'm the first to bash MS when they get things wrong (which is often...don't get me started) but this XP mode for me is a winner.

The two primary things I'd like to see:
1. 100% USB support.
2. Graphics upgrade--either allow it to completely take over a second graphics card for people with SLI and running two or more cards, or support 32-bit color. I've got a huge investment in CS3 on my XP box, and would like to still use it with full color support instead of 16-bit color.

A note about Dual-Boot: I still have my old XP Boot drive and I can dual-boot. But it's a huge pain. Huge and time consuming. The XPmode, since it's left running, is one-click instanteneous.

Just my opinion...I could be wrong,

Collapse -
by sandersnick10 / June 25, 2010 9:33 PM PDT
In reply to: am using it..

thanks for the information!

Collapse -
but only for 7Pro or better..
by sk528 / July 14, 2010 7:14 AM PDT
In reply to: xp

no XP-Mode for Home Premium!

VMware player plus licensed XP would be a way around but what when you don't have XP? - buying a discontinued OS (again) is not an option!

Collapse -
Yes, XP Mode for Home Premium
by sk528 / July 23, 2010 10:32 AM PDT

Install a (freeware) VM and in there install XP or Vista (licensed versions only as it will need formal activation) - install your old software and all done, works perfectly!

For me even better than XP-Mode which was exposing some minor flaws in my old software I do not see in VirtualBox.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.