Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

windows xp lock up

by Rockij / December 28, 2009 3:32 PM PST

After booting up windows xp, no matter what charactor i enter, the screen freezes and curser freezes also. Have to unplug computer to shut down. It will do it in any program, including excel, word, or entering character for password. I am not sure if anything changed in Bios as i cannot get into that either. Asked for password and have no clue.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows xp lock up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows xp lock up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
One reply deleted. here's why.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 28, 2009 9:52 PM PST
In reply to: windows xp lock up

I have just deleted a post by ibizara. The post included a link to a web site that has been promoted here before, and that was advertising, which is not allowed in these forums. There was another link to a utility that was said to be able to help, but it is a utility I have not heard of before, so I am wary of letting that stay.

Rockij

Sorry to hear about your problems. Tell us more about this computer, include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem.

When did this problem start, and what happened when it started, eg what were you doing on the computer when it started, or the last time it seemed OK. Downloading files, browsing the internet, what?

Can you boot up the system into Safe Mode? Restart the system and as the BIOS messages end, start tapping the F8 key once a second as Windows begins to load. You should then be presented with a list of Safe Mode options, and the first one is to load the Windows into Safe Mode. Select that using the keyboard arrow keys and press Enter.

If you cannot use the keyboard even for that, then try another keyboard. You will need to shut the system down and disconnect/connect keyboards. To shut the system down, try pressing and holding down the Power button on the system until it shuts down. I'm not sure if that method works in this Safe Mode list of options, and if not, you will have to shut the power off.

If you 'can' access Windows in Safe Mode, does the keyboard work now? If so, run your anti-virus and anti-malware scans whilst in Safe Mode, one at a time. Reboot into Normal Mode, and try again.

Mark

Collapse -
windows freeze
by Rockij / December 29, 2009 1:18 PM PST

Thanks for the info. I followed the instructions and did the safe mode loading. Hit a key and froze.. Changed keyboard and rebooted in safe mode and hit any key and froze
System info:Asustek A7v8x-x rev1 amd athlon
A7v8x-x acp1 rev 1013
Windows xp pro sp3

First indication of problem was during normal shutdown. Bios screen showed up and not sure why. Did the save changes and exited as i did not make any changes. Next day, it all started or should say froze. Did not load any files or any internet surfing. Actually did solitair game and shut down.

Collapse -
Tell us more about the keyboards you used
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 29, 2009 7:43 PM PST
In reply to: windows freeze

Are they the same type, eg USB keyboards, wireless?

If they are the same type, do you have a PS/2 keyboard to plug into the back of the computer?

Can you access the BIOS to see what it shows about keyboards?

Mark

Collapse -
window freeze
by Rockij / December 29, 2009 10:05 PM PST

Standard keyboard i have used on puter before. Not wireless but plug in.
I cannot access bios. It askes for a password and i have no clue what it is. Once again, i am thinking something changed in bios. If i could access it, perhaps you could walk me thru what to look for.
That is what is stange, bios opened up without me trying to access it and i changed nothing. Just did the standard save setting to exit.

Collapse -
So if the BIOS no longer opens up
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 30, 2009 4:10 AM PST
In reply to: window freeze

If the BIOS no loner opens when you boot up, but asks for a password before you can continue, your only options seems to be to remove the CMOS battery and reset the BIOS.

I don't know if that Asustek A7v8x-x rev1 amd athlon is a Desktop or a laptop, so you will have to research how to do this yourself, but Googling something like Reset CMOS password or Remove CMOS Battery will help you along.

The first two I found are;

Removing a Bios - CMOS Password, and

How To Reset, Remove, Clear or Reveal CMOS BIOS Security Password.

What this does: The CMOS battery keeps the BIOS running with a trickle charge when the computer is not receiving power. Removing the battery, waiting 20 minutes or so, then replacing the battery, resets the BIOS to factory settings and removes any passwords.

But beware, resetting to factory settings may not be enough for your system. Certain settings may be needed for your system to work. Your manual will help you with that.

Are you sure you didn't set a BIOS password? It's much easier than the above procedure.

Mark

Collapse -
Window freeze
by Rockij / December 30, 2009 7:48 AM PST

Mark , thanks for the tip, i took out the battery and replaced it in about an hour. BIOS did come up and now not sure how what to look for. Any suggestions in there that would cause the problem i am having? Also, if i do not change anything, do i exit using (EXIT AND DISCARD CHANGES OR EXIT AND SAVE CHANGES??

Collapse -
That would be the right way yes.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 30, 2009 8:06 PM PST
In reply to: Window freeze

If you don't want to make changes, just select the Exit and discard changes option.

You may be lucky. If you try that, the system will attempt to continue its boot process, and it may work.

If not you will need to research what BIOS settings are needed for your computer.

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
computer freeze
by Rockij / February 20, 2010 6:40 PM PST

Just wanted to let everyone know that i solved the problem. Deleted AOL and computer came back to normal. Reinstalled it later and everything works fine.
Thanks for all the advice.. I guess we learn every day.

Collapse -
That's great, and thanks for reporting back
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 20, 2010 8:11 PM PST
In reply to: computer freeze

Well done on finding the problem.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.