Windows Legacy OS forum

Windows XP just not working

by ObviouslyObvious / July 3, 2013 7:53 AM PDT

So i've tried everything TRUST ME!
I was wondering if any one knows where I could download XP again?
I didnt download in the first place (it came on the pc) but maby i could reinstall?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP just not working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP just not working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Most computers come with a restore feature
by wpgwpg / July 3, 2013 8:00 AM PDT

Computers these days come with a recovery partition that can be used to restore it to factory settings. The procedure should be documented in your user guide, which should be on your hard drive. If you don't have it, you can download it from your computer manufacturer's web site.
When you've gotten your system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1.5 TB external hard drives are about $90 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus todo backup free which you can download from . That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.

Collapse -
I know that it comes with a recovery partition
by ObviouslyObvious / July 3, 2013 11:02 PM PDT

I know that it comes with a recovery partition however the pc wont turn on, i was thinking maybe i could download a recovery partition on another pc and then install on to the broken one.PS, i have done a factory reset.

Thanks for the help!

Collapse -
Details matter
by mchainmchain / July 4, 2013 5:52 PM PDT

Since the computer will not turn on, you've got a problem.

Normal start-up always includes the vendor screen of your computer manufacturer. I take it you are not even seeing this anymore?

Things I would try:

1.) Unplug the hard drive, cd/dvd drive, and all things USB. Try powering up now. (You can only do this if you have a desktop. Only option available is to unplug the hard drive and USB devices if a laptop.)
2.) Does the cpu fan turn on and run? To see this, you must remove the side cover if a desktop, and listen with your ear if a laptop.

This is why details matter. We have to guess, just like you, without the details.

Please let us know what happened.

There is no way to access the recovery partition without the system starting, and it is not even doing that as of now.

Was your system starting ok before the factory reset? Why did you do a factory reset?

Collapse -
by Kees_B Forum moderator / July 4, 2013 6:25 PM PDT

How can you do a factory reset if the PC doesn't even turn on?

So better tell your problem (including the history) in such a way that a reader here understands it?

All Answers

Collapse -
by varunchandak10 / July 3, 2013 8:17 AM PDT

Try such ideas:
Use a Windows startup disk
Use Last Known Good Configuration
Use System Restore
Use Recovery Console
Fix a corrupt Boot.ini
Disable automatic restart
Perform an in-place upgrade

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.