Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows XP Home SP1 to SP2 or SP3 Blue Screen Error (BSOD)

by resqtech / November 24, 2009 2:39 AM PST

We had an issue with a PC in which we had an error NTLDR Can Not Read BOOT.INI. We performed a Windows Repair using the original disc for the PC which was XP Home SP1. It booted fine except for errors stating that it required SP2 or higher to run certain apps. We tried to upgrade to SP3. After installation it rebooted to flash a BSOD for a split second and reboot. After reboot it would only boot in Safe Mode. We reverted back to SP1 and tried to reboot. Everything was okay again. We then tried to install SP2 and the same thing happened as it did with SP3. The machine will only boot with SP1 on it now. Any ideas?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP Home SP1 to SP2 or SP3 Blue Screen Error (BSOD)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP Home SP1 to SP2 or SP3 Blue Screen Error (BSOD)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
SP1 to SP2 was the big one
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 24, 2009 4:09 AM PST

and it was the change up to SP2 that caught many users out.

I take it that this system is now booting up correctly to XP SP1?

If so, then these are the most common causes of failure in updating to SP2.

1] Malware. The system must be squeaky clean, no viruses, spyware or any other malware.

2] Compatibility problems. Some software problems might occur in the update process if there is a compatibility problem. Microsoft has a utility to test for 'application' compatibility problems;
Application Compatibility Testing and Mitigation Guide for Windows XP Service Pack 2.

3] There may also be some hardware compatibility problems, but that is difficult to test beforehand, so the best method to update is to disconnect all peripherals and USB devices from the system before attempting the update. USB mouse and keyboard should not be affected and can stay connected.

4] Make sure you have plenty of disk space available on the hard disk. I'm not sure what plenty is, but for example, a disk with only a couple of GBs free space remaining might struggle, where a disk with 10-15 GBs of free space will be OK.

I hope that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
Requirements
by resqtech / November 24, 2009 4:51 AM PST

I checked all of the mentioned requirements for SP2 and everything checked out. The worst part of this is that it had SP3 on it just before a weird issue with the BOOT.INI error after a windows update installed and rebooted and after the windows repair it will not allow anything above SP1.

Collapse -
Sorry but without make and model
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 24, 2009 5:19 AM PST

I can't see if this is one of the usual issues I encounter. Did I miss that information in your post? Help me find it.

Post it again.

Collapse -
Make and Model
by resqtech / November 24, 2009 5:29 AM PST

Board: Intel D845WN
CPU; Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.80GHz
HDD; WDC WD1600AAJB-56WRA0

Collapse -
Is this that Dell
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 24, 2009 5:34 AM PST
In reply to: Make and Model
Collapse -
Not A Dell
by resqtech / November 24, 2009 6:23 AM PST
In reply to: Is this that Dell

Not A Dell
--------------
Can't have more than one computer?
--------------
Is there a tech forum on Cnet to throw around questions and thoughts?

Collapse -
Sure.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 24, 2009 7:21 AM PST
In reply to: Not A Dell

But from time to time you find technicians tap the forums and for that it's not a nice thing. They get the free advice and charge for it.

So back to you. Try the items above.
Bob

Collapse -
Patch by Patch
by resqtech / November 24, 2009 7:56 AM PST
In reply to: Sure.

I was thinking to get it back ready for SP2 that I would go in and just install individual patches prior to the SP2 release and then install SP2. Maybe it was too much of a shocker for it going from SP1 to SP2 or even SP3 without having any other updates done first?

Collapse -
I never bothered with that method.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 24, 2009 8:04 AM PST
In reply to: Patch by Patch

As a tech you know you don't need to apply Service Packs in order so why do that?

Collapse -
Pulling My Hair
by resqtech / November 24, 2009 8:13 AM PST

I just want my PC back and working. I am just willing to try anything.

Collapse -
Keep in mind that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 24, 2009 10:06 AM PST
In reply to: Pulling My Hair

Malware damage is doing some very very strange things. Let's recap the easy XP install method I use. Bear in mind I get ready with drivers ahead of time and never get on the internet until the end when I know my firewall (even the MSFT one) is up and running.

1. Install XP (in your case, XP SP1 CD).
2. Install motherboard driver package.
3. Install Audio, video, and other drivers.
4. Install the SP3 full download package and re-test for proper operation.

Now that we can see the firewall is up we can use Windows Update for the rest.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.