Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows XP Home Edition Key Generator

by sunnybee / November 25, 2004 10:18 AM PST

I am running Windows ME on my computer. I have a 40GB hard drive that somehow got partitioned off so that I only have 4.33GB space on my C drive. I planned to upgrade to Windows XP Home Edition in an attempt to rectify this situation, but in the course of a recent move I lost the sticker with the product key on it. The person who gave me the Windows XP disk sent me an XP key generator in an email attachment and my son tried to use it, but was unsuccessful in getting the key. He mentioned about not being able to find the key because I am running ME. At this point I am more than confused. Why would I be sent the key generator if it wasn't going to work?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP Home Edition Key Generator
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP Home Edition Key Generator
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Windows XP Home Edition Key Generator
by roddy32 / November 25, 2004 10:24 AM PST

If it is the OS product key that you are looking for Belarc Advisor should show it. This a neat little tool that gives you a lot of specs on things on your computer. It's small and free.

http://belarc.com/free_download.html

Collapse -
by David Chan / November 25, 2004 10:31 AM PST

Roddy,

Unfortunately Belarc will not work in this case as his current OS is WinME and he has an XP CD with no CD-Key thus he cannot install XP!

The only recourse is to phone Microsoft for a new CD-Key.

If it is a legit copy this should not be a problem.

Alternatively temporarily use someone's XP CD key to setup XP and when activation failed call Microsoft and explain the situation and a new Activation code will normally be given to activate XP.

Perhaps call the person who gave the XP CD as he/she may have kept records of the CD Key?

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 25, 2004 10:42 AM PST

oops, Sorry, I didn't think if that, I just checked to make sure that Belarc worked on ME and didn't think the problem through. Must have had too much turkey. Thanks David, I learned yet another thing in the forum as always. I learn at LEAST one thing a day in here. Grin

Collapse -
by viru / November 25, 2004 10:28 AM PST

i have the program call it's find the key in your computer for the windows xp home and even also if you losse key for the Mirosoft office.
if you want to be i can send the mail to you with attach the proram
and i have the key genrator so you can change the key running the Windows XP home/pro. without reininstall the XP.
so send me the mail viru_canada@yahoo.com
viru

Collapse -
by sunnybee / November 25, 2004 10:33 AM PST

My son says this won't work because I am NOT running XP right now. I am running ME now. How do I find an XP key when I am running ME...ie. is it possible?

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 25, 2004 10:44 AM PST

Viru, it's not a safe idea to post your e-mail address in a public forum.

Collapse -
by retired / November 25, 2004 10:32 AM PST

you can find it here.

Start
Run
type REGEDIT
ok
Click plus signs at
Hkey Local machine
Software
Microsoft
internet Explorer
highlight Current version
In the right pane look for Product key

Collapse -
by retired / November 25, 2004 10:37 AM PST

Whoops, sorry that is the wrong location, but I see you have plenty of help.

Collapse -
by skippyd333 / November 25, 2004 10:34 AM PST

sounds like he gave you a key finder and not a key generator. A key finder will show you the key already installed on your computer.
Him giving you a copy of xp home is illegal as hell and, can not be discussed in this forum.

use your ME setup disk and boot it to dos. At "A:" prompt type in fdisk and delete your partitions.
Make a new partition or partitions and set the primary partition as active. Then format and reload ME.

Collapse -
by sunnybee / November 25, 2004 10:39 AM PST

The XP CD I have is a legitimate copy. It was wrapped in cellophane when I received it in the mail from him. I know the sticker was on it when it was unwrapped. It just got lost with a lot of other paperwork when we moved. The ME setup disk is also MIA.

Collapse -
by skippyd333 / November 25, 2004 10:43 AM PST

do you have broadband?

Collapse -
by sunnybee / November 25, 2004 10:46 AM PST

Yes, I do.

Collapse -
by skippyd333 / November 25, 2004 11:03 AM PST

ok, I can send you a file in a messinger. Its too big for e-mail and might take about 45 min to recieve it all. its 133mb. what messingers do you have or want to use?

Collapse -
by sunnybee / November 25, 2004 11:12 AM PST

What kind of file is it that you want to send me?

Collapse -
by skippyd333 / November 25, 2004 11:16 AM PST

what you wanted from your friend. Its clean. no viruses. It works!

Collapse -
by sunnybee / November 25, 2004 11:23 AM PST

May I email my id privately please? I believe I can do that through your profile?

Collapse -
by skippyd333 / November 25, 2004 11:25 AM PST

yes and I will email mine back. which messinger do you have? I have aol,msn and yahoo.

Collapse -
by sunnybee / November 25, 2004 11:27 AM PST

I have all three also. Which one would work the best?

Collapse -
by skippyd333 / November 25, 2004 11:35 AM PST

probably yahoo my id is in my profile. I think. skippr_d, I will now open yahoo and wait for your e-mail. the file is called something different I will give you the name in a return e-mail. check yahoo to see where the file will download to. I think it goes some where in your document files by default. Skip

Collapse -
by skippyd333 / December 1, 2004 12:35 AM PST

Subject: Win XP Key
I don't suppose you would be willing to send me the same prog you sent sunnybee? I have been at this all day, managed to get the letsroll9/11 virus in the process and am stuck halfway through the xp installation on the product key screen.

Collapse -
by skippyd333 / December 1, 2004 12:38 AM PST

You have been at what all day? There is no such virus. You can always format your harddrive in dos first. then boot your xp disk and, then use your key. Sunnybee had a legit problem. She also had a legal copy. So I helped. Whats your real story? Skip

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.