Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows XP folder too large

by compbugs / January 4, 2007 6:50 AM PST

Windows is taking 13GB of the 20GB space on my hard drive. I think this is the source of my slow processing and inability to burn DVDs. Any ideas?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP folder too large
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP folder too large
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Large Windows Folder.
by Papa Echo / January 4, 2007 7:43 AM PST

For a start, use the disk clean-up utility to clean up the HD (Right click the System disk >Properties>Disk cleanup) e.g. Recycle Bin, Temp Internet Files, the Temp folder, and clear all but the latest good restore point. After the cleanup, you may also consider running the "check disk" utility and then the defragmenter. BTW, how old is the system ?

Collapse -
reply to: Windows XP folder too larg
by ron834 / January 4, 2007 7:44 AM PST

Open the properties menu for the HD and then hit disk cleanup. select all of the options and then go to the more options tab. Click the option for clearing all but the most recent system restore points. Then wait a minute and then hit OK.

Collapse -
No significant clean up
by compbugs / January 4, 2007 9:43 AM PST

I'm still at 13GB for Windows.

Collapse -
You are writing...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2007 9:50 AM PST

C:\Windows and not "windows"? Right? If so you can use explorer to find where it ate it.

Collapse -
(NT) Yep C:/Windows
by compbugs / January 4, 2007 9:54 AM PST
In reply to: You are writing...
Collapse -
(NT) Now which folder in there has it all?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2007 10:49 AM PST
In reply to: Yep C:/Windows
Collapse -
Can't find what is taking the space.
by compbugs / January 4, 2007 1:44 PM PST

I can't find what is using so much space. I've looked in all of the Windows folder and there are only find two files of any size, ServicePack has 497MB and System32 has 1.2GB.

Collapse -
Hidden files and folders
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 4, 2007 6:17 PM PST

Using Windows Explorer, goto Tools, Folder Options, and click the View tab. Select the option to Show hidden files and folders, and then scroll down to remove the tick to "Hide protected operating system files". Then re-check the C:\ root directory and the C:\Windows folder.

Collapse -
Found it?
by compbugs / January 5, 2007 1:22 AM PST

C:\WINDOWS\Installer has 10GB. Now what?

Collapse -
Review this link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 5, 2007 1:39 AM PST
In reply to: Found it?
Collapse -
Hmmm, My own is 395MB
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 5, 2007 8:06 AM PST
In reply to: Review this link.

and I thought that was large, but 10GB is very big.

I'm unsure whether it's safe to backup and delete this folder or not. I've seen the article Bob posted, and others, and I haven't seen any definite yay or nay.

Collapse -
Delete Installer folder
by compbugs / January 5, 2007 8:11 AM PST
In reply to: Hmmm, My own is 395MB

Deleting this folder would be the easiest but.... then what? Windows crashing?

Collapse -
Crash Test Dummies
by ron834 / January 5, 2007 8:20 AM PST

When carmakers test saftey they use crash test dummies. You can make a crash test dummy for that folder by moving it to some other place on your harddrive, and placing it in a folder named something like COPY OF BIG FOLDER or something like that. Then leave it like that for 6 to 7 weeks and if nothing happens you should be safe to get rid of it. If there is a crash, try to start in safemode and move the folder back to the windows folder.

Collapse -
How to find....
by Papa Echo / January 4, 2007 10:38 PM PST

Download and install "Folder Size Extension", which will reveal sizes of all folders. Information HERE

Collapse -
by ron834 / January 5, 2007 6:58 AM PST

The only option left is to reinstall windows

Collapse -
by trublubush / January 5, 2007 4:09 AM PST

I have quoted a statement from another tech forum here:

""I'm being unnable to make a complete virus scan to my HD (160 GB, with around
50% of free space), because after more than 24 hours of scan, Norton Internet
Security 2007 is still counting files (more than 9.000.000 !!!). For example,
I've noticed that for the folder C:Windows\Installer, it counts more than
5.000.000 files!
Does anyone knows why is this? or what to do?""

I've also run into this problem myself on several of my customer's computers and found this folder( c:\windows\installer\*.*) to be infected.

I would suggest deleting the entire folder. It's supposed to contain original setup CLASS ID's for programs needing to register installation utility implements such as icons, sidekick displays, etc..

But, it can also by used by viral processes to store encrypted tracking logs containing info illegally obtained from other people's computers, extensive advertisement packages, etc..

You can then create a new and empty "installer" folder if you'd like to. Most program installers, however, do not use it.

Collapse -
Stop NIS 2007 check that Installer file
by DarCLew2 / January 5, 2007 5:03 AM PST
In reply to: c:\windows\installer

It may have been temporary files that should have been deleted. Click properties of each one to find what each is for.
I have Windows XP Home Edition OEM 2002 and there isn't a Windows/installer in my computer. I have in Program Files 2, AOL and Quicktime. DotNetInstaller, 2 in Common Files; Documents and Settings/<my name> are 2, QTInstallerHelper.dll & WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86 & RealPlayer Uninstaller in All Users (1).
If you have IE6 SP1 or SP2, you may find many under: Cookies, click Index.dat and delete the rest thru Edit and Invert Selection.
History has various days on your computer unless you set it to zero in Internet Options, Right click, select Edit and delete them all except History.
Temporary Internet Files, Edit, Select All and delete.
You nay have a lot of My Recent Documents (Recent) highlight it by clicking on all the files, listed above, Edit, Select All.
I set History to 0 & Temp Internet files to 10 MB.
Disk Cleanup-Compressed files, click on it and there is Options, it was 50 days and it is set at 1 day, go past it and it will be in the 500's , go back to 1 day and click OK. Eventually, you will see no compressed files in a week. Darrell L.

Collapse -
This is true
by trublubush / January 5, 2007 7:38 AM PST

Some temp folders can amass up to well over a gigabyte's worth of useless files without the users knowledge. It is safe to delete these.

Btw, my previous post should be addended to include the existance of used installer packages also contained in folder C:\windows\installer.
These packages(**.MSI, et al) have already been opened and are just stored in this location. Some have been downloaded in conjunction with various Window's updates from and were necessary to either open the update and/or facilate future downloads. They are left there just in case a downloaded program or update needs to use one of them to initialize.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.