Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

WIndows XP fax console

by kdugo / January 29, 2009 2:33 AM PST

In attempting to install the fax console component, the Windows XP Professional disc is required. Since it was installed by Dell, we do not have the disc. Any suggestions?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WIndows XP fax console
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WIndows XP fax console
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just a SWAG . . .
by Coryphaeus / January 29, 2009 4:59 AM PST
In reply to: WIndows XP fax console

In Explorer, look for a folder called i386. If you have it, what the program needs is located there. If it's not there, call Dell and pitch a fit. They are supposed to include that folder on all machines. No joy there? Find a friend with an XP CD, version doesn't matter.

Collapse -
i386
by kdugo / January 29, 2009 5:41 AM PST
In reply to: Just a SWAG . . .

hey thanks so much for your reply. The file it is looking for is 'fxscfgwz'. I am unable to locate it in i386. Any other file that may suffice?

Collapse -
Specifically . . .
by Coryphaeus / January 29, 2009 8:59 AM PST
In reply to: i386

FXSCFGWZ.DLL

It's in my i386 folder, 'cause I copied it from my Win XP Pro CD to my hard drive. Have you searched your hard drive for the file?

Then, this is interesting:

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?fxscfgwz

But remember this. That file may be only the first one FAX needs. There may be others. If so, you need to find a friend with an XP CD, version not a concern. If you can find a CD, just insert it at the prompt.

Collapse -
Dell
by kdugo / January 30, 2009 12:36 AM PST
In reply to: Specifically . . .

I certainly did search for the files to no avail. I downloaded the dll file from the link you provided, but as you mentioned, more unavailable files are needed for the fax. Just got off the phone with Dell...they are sending the Windows XP Pro disc that was never sent initially due to some sort of reduction initiative. Thanks for all your advice.

Collapse -
fxscfgwz
by jimroad471 / January 30, 2009 2:58 AM PST
In reply to: i386

Hi,
I did a search in my i386 and that file IS there....look again
Jim

Collapse -
ooops
by jimroad471 / January 30, 2009 3:12 AM PST
In reply to: fxscfgwz

when promted, look in C/windows/system32 file you need should be there

Collapse -
fxsclntR
by kdugo / January 30, 2009 3:23 AM PST
In reply to: ooops

Once in system 32 folder the file it looks for is fxsclntR. Again, not there. Will wait for the Windows XP Pro disc and hope it works.
Thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.