Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows XP Explorer.exe and Proxy Desktop Hangups....

by twincamguy / December 2, 2005 1:04 AM PST

Ok,so here we go...I am not a tech guy, just a user who is being stumped by an ongoing problem that has 3 different tech support guys also stumped..maybe out there in XP world is someone who has the magic touch...

System info : WIndows XP, 1 gb ram, lots of hard drive space open, two drives, two cd roms, tape back up, floppy drive, 4 usb devices, and a Maxtor external hard drive....

So, here is my problem....I am working away...when all of a sudden, I can't go to windows explorer, my computer, control panel, even Outlook express...nothing....if I try to retrieve a file, nothing...if I am writing an e-mail, the only way I can get to a file is through attach files....it is like the entire system just goes on a time out....

So I turn to the only solution I have come up with which is to shut down the computer, and start up all over again... needless to say this can and is a royal pain...there seems to be no rhyme or reason when this strikes....it just happens.....

Now...the interesting part....as the computer begins to shut down....up pops two screens....teh first is...EXPLORER.EXE ...you need to click on end now, or go back to windows to try and find the problem... and then END PROGRAM, PROXY DESKTOP...same options end now, or return to you know where....

So when I go back to windows the computer just seems to loop around, finally I just get frsutrated and hit END NOW...teh computer tells me I may loose files, and it shuts down and restarts.....and suddenly once I click on teh end now option...all the places I have been attemping to go to start opening...My Computer, etc...

Observations so far....sometimes by running my disk fragmenter ( DISK KEEPER ) it seems to help...sometimes it seems ADAWARE helps...but nothing cures the problem....only temp relief is achieved....

I give up....anyone found a solution, anyone has this happen...? I am now desperate....

Thanks for your observations....and tips

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP Explorer.exe and Proxy Desktop Hangups....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP Explorer.exe and Proxy Desktop Hangups....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Reply to Windows XP Explorer.exe and Proxy Desktop Hangups
by danthevan / December 2, 2005 3:16 AM PST

just a thought has any one checked your cpu temperature
when this occurs

also have you tryed to use different memory (ram)

also what solutions have you already tryed??

post back dan

Collapse -
Windows XP Explorer.exe & Proxy Desktop Hangups...
by twincamguy / December 3, 2005 3:36 AM PST

Hi... Thanks for you reply.....Regarding cooling, my box has 7 temp controlled fans...which were all just redone , and upgraded to better units...so I think that issue is not a concern.....

As far as what have we done....nothing becuase we cant seem to duplicate teh situations that cause the occurance.,..nor can we figure out so far what is causing the computer to deny access to files,..at this point the only solution is to shut down teh machine and reboot, which is when the error message occur, and as soon as teh explorer.exe fault message comes up..and I click to end it...immediately everything that wouldnt open, now opens up......

Thats the main confusion..how or where do we find out what the cause of the problem is....

Thanks..

Collapse -
view folders - separate process?
by rousta_bout / December 10, 2005 10:57 AM PST

I've just seen this for the first time on my system, and the googling around I've done suggests the fix is to stop viewing folders as separate processes. (open a folder; choose tools, folder options, view tab in win2k)

Hope this helps. The other fix I've read about involves building a whole new profile and moving your data into that profile.

Collapse -
explorer .exe problems
by titanrep / May 12, 2008 12:41 PM PDT

I was having the same sort of problms with my xp pro system-folders not opening, explorer not opening, etc. I did do the suggested folder option, view, launch folder processes in a seperate process-uncheck that box, but I also opened and noticed that I had 2 explorer.exe running in the task manager. This was always related to the freezeup and sure enough when I terminated the smallest of the 2 explorer.exe's and everything went back to normal, if I did the larger one it terminated everything so that one was the main explorer that was needed and then all my folders again functioned normally and opened normally again. I am still not sure what is opening that extra explorer but it may have been that tool option in folder options. Just fixed it tonight so I will see if that was the only issue.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.